Trail Cameras - uses, recommendations, experiences? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Trail Cameras - uses, recommendations, experiences?

I got my first one back around Thanksgiving, #4 comes my way this weekend.

Anyone else use them, a lot? I am starting to see how they are kind of addicting in their own way... I mean, I've always been a picture taker, so I guess it's a natural addition once I got into hunting.

I picked up a new Wildgame 4.0megapixel camera to get started, then two Bushnell 5.0 non-IR used cameras, and will be getting another slighlly used Stealth Cam IR camera as well.

For me, it's been a nice way to start learning when and where various game is traveling across the properties, to help me learn more about patterning the animals for hunting purposes.

So far I am sticking to the lower end of the camera price spectrums, I just can't bring myself to spend $250+ on some of the nicer camera's when all of my sub $100 cams seem to be doing ok for my needs.

Anyone else use them? What are you using, how are you using them, and what are your results? Maybe we need a "Trail Camera Pics" thread too
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1899
Location: Tacoma, Wa Where you can drink the water, but don't breath the air
my friends uncle got this picture a couple of weeks ago, of this cougar with a kill in it's... oh, nevermind
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 83430
Cuddeback all the way. We have 3. Two Moultrie's and a Cuddeback. The Moultrie's seem to always be taking pictures of nothing. The picture is a little better but the trigger sucks compared to the Cuddeback. We just put ours back out with some fresh batteries and are waiting for the pics to come...

We usually put them out along well used trails or over corn feeders.

I think we already have a trail cam pics thread too...

Edit: here it is but it was started a couple years ago. Maybe we should start a new one?

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814254

Last edited by InDaRed2; 02-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.
InDaRed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I have had my 3 out since last Saturday morning, going to go check them this evening or in the morning and see if I got anything.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
SHOOT TO THRILL!

Member # 26382
instead of of starting a new thread, i'll bring this one back up.

i want to get a trail camera to put on my property. a mountain lion has been hanging around eating deer and it got one of my neighbor's goats the other night. i have goats too so i want to see if it comes around. i'd also like to get some pictures of the deer and other critters hanging around. most of the pictures would be at night time. it will be placed about 200 yards from the house so checking it often isn't a big deal but i would like a decent battery life. i'm not sure what other things i need to know to pick out a trail camera.

work being slow these days, i'm pretty broke. i do have a $100 cabela's gift card. i'd like to keep the camera close to that. i'll spend up to $150 if i have to.
300sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19373
Here is another question to Ive had about game cameras.

Is there a camera that can be taken out, left, and programed to take a single picture at a set time everyday?

Seems pretty simple but the little bit of looking around Ive done- doesnt seem like its a popular option.

[QUOTE=steveh;7244017]Keep it on track guys.
DRM and I will be watching. We need our TG paychecks ...... [/QUOTE]
mtnkid85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
instead of of starting a new thread, i'll bring this one back up.

i want to get a trail camera to put on my property. a mountain lion has been hanging around eating deer and it got one of my neighbor's goats the other night. i have goats too so i want to see if it comes around. i'd also like to get some pictures of the deer and other critters hanging around. most of the pictures would be at night time. it will be placed about 200 yards from the house so checking it often isn't a big deal but i would like a decent battery life. i'm not sure what other things i need to know to pick out a trail camera.

work being slow these days, i'm pretty broke. i do have a $100 cabela's gift card. i'd like to keep the camera close to that. i'll spend up to $150 if i have to.
Kinda late, but there are dozens of decent cameras on the market that fall into your price range. I know WildGame Innovations advertises they have 7 models all for $100 or less. I just picked up some 1.3mp WildGame cams from Wal*Mart yesterday for $35 each (more on that later)

Many of them advertise "batteries last up to a year" - but I don't put much faith in that myself unless they are non-flash and like one pic a day.

Also - most cams have external battery ports to get the really long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnkid85 View Post
Here is another question to Ive had about game cameras.

Is there a camera that can be taken out, left, and programed to take a single picture at a set time everyday?

Seems pretty simple but the little bit of looking around Ive done- doesnt seem like its a popular option.
I haven't seen that feature yet either, sorry.

BTW, I got 2 more cams because my StealthCam is on the fritz and I guess I am gonna retire it.

I picked up the low-res WildGame cams because of their price. I'm not all that worried about image quality, since these will be used 100% for game tracking/patterning. For that use - I don't have to count the animal's eyelashes - I just need to know when and where they are.

I haven't used any of the high $$$$ cams yet - but from what I can tell what you really pay for is the better IR flash and faster trigger time.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 106837
I'm getting away from the trail cams this year. We had a couple of nice bucks on our property last year that I saw a couple of times in velvet before I put the camera up, once we got a picture of them looking spooked we never saw them again. Coincedence? While hunting I witnessed 2 different deer walk off a trail around the camera and right back on the trail.

As much as I like pulling the pics from a trail cam, they're staying out of my zone this year.
chzbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chzbrgr View Post
I'm getting away from the trail cams this year. We had a couple of nice bucks on our property last year that I saw a couple of times in velvet before I put the camera up, once we got a picture of them looking spooked we never saw them again. Coincedence? While hunting I witnessed 2 different deer walk off a trail around the camera and right back on the trail.

As much as I like pulling the pics from a trail cam, they're staying out of my zone this year.
Are you using flash style or IR? It's just a plastic box - there's something else spooking them, such as scent, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 106837
IRs. Don't think it's scent because other deer walk right by. There may be a slight click that gets their attention and then they see the IR glow on the second pic set for 15 seconds later?

This one definately got spooked and never saw him again.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Might be the click - which is again one of those fatures that varies with price. My cheap WildGame cams are audibly loud, the more expensive one and all the rest of mine are pretty much silent.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 106837
That pic is from a 2-3 year old Cuddeback. I put out one of the cheaper ones last year also, a bushnell I think, didn't get much on that one so it's hard to comment. It just told me that was where I didn't want to be.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chzbrgr View Post
That pic is from a 2-3 year old Cuddeback. I put out one of the cheaper ones last year also, a bushnell I think, didn't get much on that one so it's hard to comment. It just told me that was where I didn't want to be.
Hm... odd, and I can understand your reservations.

I had a camera weeks earlier at the *exact* spot I took a 9 pt last year - and all I ever got on the camera was does and small bucks... go figure :shrug: