Loading complacency... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Loading complacency...

If ya turn your powder hopper off to see what disc is installed, it helps to turn it back on when ya start the next batch.

Spot checking charge weight will make sure you only have to pull a dozen or so boolits when you find you've been charging your .38sp with 0.0gr of Green Dot, which is not published data in any manual.

Mothfukle!

Bullet puller = friend

:flipoff2:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Fishslayer; 05-16-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Fishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
I'd pull them all apart. Cases have enough differential to make you believe it has powder when it doesn't.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'd pull them all apart. Cases have enough differential to make you believe it has powder when it doesn't.
Already done. I only had to pull a dozen or so.

Worst was awhile back one of my spot checks revealed that some crud in the tube was causing an occasional light/zero charge. I had to pull a hunnert bullets. I actually got pretty lucky. Out of all the rounds I took apart very few actually had significantly light/zero charges. I just happened to spot one.

I frequently inspect the powder path for cleanliness now...

I got one of those bottle type brush assortments from Harbor Freight. Great for cleaning dies.

Last edited by Fishslayer; 05-16-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21312
Send a message via AIM to freerider5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
Already done. I only had to pull a dozen or so.

Worst was awhile back one of my spot checks revealed that some crud in the tube was causing an occasional light/zero charge. I had to pull a hunnert bullets. I actually got pretty lucky. Out of all the rounds I took apart very few actually had significantly light/zero charges. I just happened to spot one.

I frequently inspect the powder path for cleanliness now...

I got one of those bottle type brush assortments from Harbor Freight. Great for cleaning dies.
This is why "I" load with a single stage press. Form, trim, prime, charge, insert bullet. All single steps. This ensures when my cases in in the case holder i can look into the tops of my cases and tell which ones have powder and which ones don't.(Thanks for the tips Animator!)

Sure, it takes longer, but hey, its not like i am married with kids or anything
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 50212
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider5.0 View Post
This is why "I" load with a single stage press. Form, trim, prime, charge, insert bullet. All single steps. This ensures when my cases in in the case holder i can look into the tops of my cases and tell which ones have powder and which ones don't.(Thanks for the tips Animator!)

Sure, it takes longer, but hey, its not like i am married with kids or anything
Same here. I have no life outside of work and my hobbies. I find that if I put some good music on, I can get into a nice groove, and actually make reloading a "zen-like" experience. Compound with that, my mortal fear of a squib; I end-up double checking each and every round for powder charge, and I verify weight every ten rounds.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 59127
Loading on a turret isn't that far removed from single stage. I can actually turn mine into one if i want. Each round gets handled and it's usually not hard to catch the occasional if you're paying attention.

Loading pistol ammo on a single stage would drive me nuts.

Last edited by Fishslayer; 05-16-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.