Who carrys a sidearm on here? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > Outdoor Sports and Recreation
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 189110
Who carrys a sidearm on here?

OK im looking for ones of you that carry in an open carry/permit/cdw permit state. And ones of ya that are knowledgeable with gun laws.

Now if im reading the following right does this state that a person of atleast age 18 can carry a handgun?

Minimum Age to Purchase / Possess
Kentucky provides no minimum age for the possession of rifles or shotguns, although federal age restrictions still apply.

Kentucky prohibits a person under the age of 18 from possessing, manufacturing or transporting a handgun, unless he or she is:

In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

Practicing in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established firing range, or any other place where the discharge of firearms is not prohibited;

Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by a non-profit group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;

Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued pursuant to Kentucky statutes or administrative regulations;

Traveling to or from any activity described above with an unloaded handgun;

On real property which is under the control of an adult and has the permission of that adult and his or her parent or legal guardian to possess a handgun; or

At his or her residence and in the possession of a handgun with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian and justified in using physical or deadly physical force.7

Kentucky prohibits any person from intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly providing a handgun to any person he or she knows or has reason to believe is under age 18. See the Kentucky Child Access Prevention section for further information about this prohibition. Note that federal age restrictions generally prohibit licensed firearms dealers from transferring a handgun to anyone under age 21.

Website source here. http://www.lcav.org/states/kentucky....urchasePossess
02-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Runner? What runner?

Member # 946
Send a message via AIM to 4runner
What is the KY carry law?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 189110
ky is an open carry state. I would ask my dad as he was a drug enforcement officer with the local S.O. for 23 years but he's outa state so figured id ask the other gun nuts

If you carry concealed must have cdwl

Last edited by 02-150; 05-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 189110
Clicky -> http://www.opencarry.org/ky.html

Last edited by 02-150; 05-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 92335
18 to posess if its a legal (not stolen) but you have to be on way to range or in competiton or currently practicing as stated in your original post. Better be safe and wait till you turn 21 to carry openly if you feel the need. Also I would prefer concealed over open in most cases here in Ky.

If you really want a good answer and it will be right call your local sheriff and ask. If they don't know off hand then they can tell you exactly where to get the information.
samb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 189110
The way i read it was those rules are in effect if UNDER 18, ill reread it but im pretty sure thats how it says
Old 05-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hef

Member # 11907
Send a message via AIM to Hef
You must be 18 to open carry in KY, and 21 with a permit to carry concealed.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
You must be 18 to open carry in KY, and 21 with a permit to carry concealed.
x2
But in Metro its a damn shame but you better have the KRS printed out.
99% could care less as long as your not waving it around like a wild cowboy.

Your father on JCSO? or somewhere else in KY?

And the best advice would be to wait until your father is home let him know your intentions and go from that point.
NEWMANS OWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 189110
No he was the night shift sargeant for 20 years and head of the drug/dui enforcement task force in that agency and finished his career out as sargeant at clinton city police department after the S.O got a new sheriff.

And we live in western ky in hickman county but he was at graves county s.o for 10 yrs then carlisle county s.o for 10 doing the same thing. He was paid by federal grants that the agencys got to specifically head up the task force.

Last edited by 02-150; 05-22-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 189110
And thanks Hef. Also where did you find that Ksr?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hef

Member # 11907
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMANS OWN View Post
x2
But in Metro its a damn shame but you better have the KRS printed out.
99% could care less as long as your not waving it around like a wild cowboy.

Your father on JCSO? or somewhere else in KY?

And the best advice would be to wait until your father is home let him know your intentions and go from that point.

Some LEO's don't respect the law (like Philly, or Cleveland) but it is what it is. I make damn sure I know the law inside and out when I carry a firearm (which is all the time).

For the OP:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM
Old 05-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 189110
Mind directinme to which one it is hef lol
Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 24650
No offense but look up 6th circuit court and go searching. Its posted a billion times when you search CCDW in kentucky when you plug it in google.

I would say if you don't have the knowledge or time to look it up you shouldn't be packing!
NEWMANS OWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 65026
Most of us here open carry.

They say an armed society is a polite one, but that doesn't really seem to be the case here.

I agree with what a couple others here have said... If you can't take the time to do the research yourself and need to be spoonfed everything, you probably shouldn't be carrying.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 28599
Send a message via AIM to crtbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-150 View Post
Who carries a sidearm here?

??????????????????????

Nope, guns are dangerous I would never carry one around with me
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
chug life

Member # 180649
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfubar View Post

I agree with what a couple others here have said... If you can't take the time to do the research yourself and need to be spoonfed everything, you probably shouldn't be carrying.
Werd

Dude I live in KY. It's not that hard. You seem to be hung up on the being 18 part. Just step away and don't worry about carrying when you're 18. Wait until you're 21, get a CCW and go on with life. When your dad gets back I'm sure he can answer your question anyway.
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by clastic View Post
Werd
Dude I live in KY. It's not that hard. You seem to be hung up on the being 18 part. Just step away and don't worry about carrying when you're 18. Wait until you're 21, get a CCW and go on with life. When your dad gets back I'm sure he can answer your question anyway.
so are people under 21 immune to needing a gun for self defence...WERD I never knew that

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
-Awesome web development for your business. www.mudnworks.com mud@mudnworks.com
Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
chug life

Member # 180649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass44 View Post
so are people under 21 immune to needing a gun for self defence...WERD I never knew that
That's not what I'm saying

From 18->21 I did sidework for a friends towing company

I went places without a gun I really wish I'd had one

I went places with one I was damn glad I brought one.

There's still places in KY I won't go without a gun

But during that time I've seen one or two situations go from two kids disagreeing to "aww fuck" because somebody thought they were a badass with their Hi-Point .40* and wanted to prove they had the bigger penis instead of stopping and thinking

If the OP is genuinely concerned about his safety he'll figure it out with the link HEF provided. Hell, I'd even recommend venturing down to the sherriffs department and just asking a couple questions. But wanting spoon feeding makes me think he just wants to be a "badass" and not get busted by people who are more badass.

werd?

*Also let it be known I am not anti Hi-point. They're just cheap, so that seems to be what all the little wanna be badasses carry. I actually like high point because for all their faults 99% of the time they go *bang* when you pull the trigger which I find remarkable given the price
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Quote:

But during that time I've seen one or two situations go from two kids disagreeing to "aww fuck" because somebody thought they were a badass with their Hi-Point .40* and wanted to prove they had the bigger penis instead of stopping and thinking

If the OP is genuinely concerned about his safety he'll figure it out with the link HEF provided. Hell, I'd even recommend venturing down to the sherriffs department and just asking a couple questions. But wanting spoon feeding makes me think he just wants to be a "badass" and not get busted by people who are more badass.

werd?

*Also let it be known I am not anti Hi-point. They're just cheap, so that seems to be what all the little wanna be badasses carry. I actually like high point because for all their faults 99% of the time they go *bang* when you pull the trigger which I find remarkable given the price
werd?

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
-Awesome web development for your business. www.mudnworks.com mud@mudnworks.com
Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:
So you got shot, jumped, shit kicked out of you? Ended up in the hospital? Morgue?

Want to know how I lost 45lbs? Try INSANITY®.
www.beachbodycoach.com/petermhope

"I wake up in the morning and piss excellence"

Colorado Springs, CO Based FFL-07/SOT
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
chug life

Member # 180649
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
So you got shot, jumped, shit kicked out of you? Ended up in the hospital? Morgue?

Little bit of backstory to get where I'm coming from

When I started doing that I was starting college and had quit my job so I could go to college. So I was broke as a joke.

My friend and his mother (who own the towing company garage 50/50 split) buy cars for $150-$200 and either fix what was wrong with them or part them out and scrap the body. I'm broke and they need an extra hand to go get these cars with a rollback (or worse drive them. I am the damn man at controlling a car when it loses brakes now) thus I started working for them part time

Now you can imagine what wonderful places and what wonderful people you get $200 cars from. We'd go get these cars from govt. housing, trailer parks, or if we were lucky from an old guy that wanted the car his deadbeat son wrecked off of his property.

People on the PBB talk about being stared down when in a ghetto full of black people. Well, it's the same thing in govt housing even when folks are the same color. We were driving a 1986 F350 rollback with a swapped in N/A 7.3. There was no sneaking in. So everybody would come and look at you like curious monkeys and walk around/by the truck looking it over. Me and the son got real good at jumping out, winching the car on the bed and just putting it in park and chocking it until we could get down the road to actually secure them.

It would've been nice to have a gun in the truck. It wouldn't have changed much except make to make me feel a little better. But since we were both under 21 concealed wasn't happening especially in a commercial vehicle.

Last edited by clastic; 05-23-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfubar View Post
Most of us here open carry.

They say an armed society is a polite one, but that doesn't really seem to be the case here.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Quote:
Little bit of backstory to get where I'm coming from

When I started doing that I was starting college and had quit my job so I could go to college. So I was broke as a joke.

My friend and his mother (who own the towing company garage 50/50 split) buy cars for $150-$200 and either fix what was wrong with them or part them out and scrap the body. I'm broke and they need an extra hand to go get these cars with a rollback (or worse drive them. I am the damn man at controlling a car when it loses brakes now) thus I started working for them part time

Now you can imagine what wonderful places and what wonderful people you get $200 cars from. We'd go get these cars from govt. housing, trailer parks, or if we were lucky from an old guy that wanted the car his deadbeat son wrecked off of his property.

People on the PBB talk about being stared down when in a ghetto full of black people. Well, it's the same thing in govt housing even when folks are the same color. We were driving a 1986 F350 rollback with a swapped in N/A 7.3. There was no sneaking in. So everybody would come and look at you like curious monkeys and walk around/by the truck looking it over. Me and the son got real good at jumping out, winching the car on the bed and just putting it in park and chocking it until we could get down the road to actually secure them.

It would've been nice to have a gun in the truck. It wouldn't have changed much except make to make me feel a little better. But since we were both under 21 concealed wasn't happening especially in a commercial vehicle.
So in other words, nothing ever happened.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mister Machinist

Member # 3088
Sounds like it.
Gozuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Hef

Member # 11907
Quote:

werd?

Law enforcement is the last place to go for legal advice. If you want good legal advice you contact a lawyer who specializes in the area of law of your concern.