Axial Wraith building tips and parts - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Axial Wraith building tips and parts

Hey guys!

I am currently working out of Kuwait and looking to build a wraith. I know there are build ups on these all over the place but wanted some pro's and cons when building one. I have never put together an RC car. I have about 7 cars I bought RTR. I have broken every one of them at some point and fix them all myself but building is a new thing for me. I ask for help cause Axial is pretty much unheard of here. No one sells them. HPI, Traxxas, Losi, ect. are all common but I want to build a wraith as I love my RTR I have back home.

Any parts that you would stay away from let me know. Any must have parts would be good so I get a list together and do a mass order. This could be from wheels and tires to motors, servos, and batteries.

I also would like some opinions on those "cool" parts like LED lights (don't really run at night here), beadlock wheels (if they are really needed on this from personal experience you may of had), and anything you can think of. This will be something that I would start soon and all parts will be ordered at once so I can build it at one time.

Let me know what you think!

Chris
hitman_1b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38366
Send a message via Yahoo to 86toyrunner
i run alot of the STRC stuff such as the aluminum hubs, their links are awesome.. i have buddies as well that run alot of stuff by vanquish as well and i know we dont have any problems with what we run. i would also recommended upgrading from the stock steering servo to more of a higher torque one thats just me 2 cents other

here is a good link for others builds
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/

thank you for your service kuwait is a great place...lmao

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at

USN SEABEE EO2 SCW GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

jmoffroad.com (530) 273-7627
86toyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86toyrunner View Post
i run alot of the STRC stuff such as the aluminum hubs, their links are awesome.. i have buddies as well that run alot of stuff by vanquish as well and i know we dont have any problems with what we run. i would also recommended upgrading from the stock steering servo to more of a higher torque one thats just me 2 cents other

here is a good link for others builds
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/

thank you for your service kuwait is a great place...lmao
First off thank you kuwait is a great place
But I am doing this as a contractor now. Got out of the military last year. Didn't like the way it all was going so after 12 years hung it up!

What servo would you recommend? I have been looking at that forum for more info and will continue but trying to get a handle on all of it before I ship stuff here that doesn't cut it. I have also thought of just sending my Wraith over, and maybe my scorpion as well. Then just buy all the parts that I need/want seeing they are sitting at home doing nothing.

I am also interested in what battery everyone is running in these. I ask only cause my choices are limited here and I know sending the lipo's can be an issue. Any thoughts on what is best or what lasts a long time?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 64145
I just put a Wraith kit together a couple weeks ago.

I suggest getting probably twenty extra 3x10 mm buttonheads, four 3x15mm buttonheads, and about six 3x8 mm buttonhead bolts to replace the stock self tappng in places they shouldn't be, like steering knuckles and axle cases. And if you pick up a package of the axial steel pivot balls instead of using the stock plastic ones the suspension will stay tighter much longer.

Spare 5x11 and 10x15 bearings will also be needed as the stockers don't last long in sand.

You'll also want a bunch of 5x8x.2 mm washers to take slop out of the transmission upper shaft.

And JB Weld the locker to the diff housing, or it will break at some point.

Your going to need additional grease, it just comes with a dinky little tube. Any good wheelbearing grease will do.

Servo is important with all the steering throw the Axle Universals can deliver. I'm running a Hitec 7954, and many reccomend the 7950.

I don't feel that beadlocks are required, and the stock tires do pretty good. But once I strip out the hex portion I'll be going for some Motoworx
aluminum beadlocks.

For batteries I'm running Turnigy 5000 mah 20C 2 cell packs and get over and hour runtime with a brushless.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
There is a beginners guide I have written that is sticky'd at the top of the Wraith forum on RCC. It pretty much identifies what parts you should get, need to get, not to get, etc.

Also read through the motor and ESC guide. That will be the biggest choice.

2013 Grand Nationals 2nd Place Modified Stock
RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Harley0706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
There is a beginners guide I have written that is sticky'd at the top of the Wraith forum on RCC. It pretty much identifies what parts you should get, need to get, not to get, etc.

Also read through the motor and ESC guide. That will be the biggest choice.
Thanks for the info guys! It's all helpful and welcomed.

Harley I have been glued to RCC the last few days man. Guess I need to become a member there as well I am just trying to get a feel for this side of the sport and also build something in my free time. It's hard to judge what is the right stuff to buy when you are kind of clueless about how good the stuff will be and how it'll make the car run. I have bought a HPI Savage X since here and also a new Slash but there are so many desert washes that I have to have a crawler as well! I have read your threads and have had a grand worth of stuff in the shopping cart already just to leave it as I am having a hard time pulling the trigger! Too damn hard to get the good parts here and I hate waiting a couple weeks when I break stuff!!! I will continue to look at the threads and gather a list of parts to buy!! Right now though I am having my Wraith RTR sent over and my Scorpion for a back up crawler. I will be buying parts though and a kit so I have 2 Wraiths when I go out to play
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Hey guys I am also wondering a few tips for building. One would be what you guys are using to mount the spare tires on the rear. Just zip ties? Building cage parts? Kits for this? If kits are available that I did not see who are they from??

I am also wondering what all you are using to relocate the lights on the rear to the body? Just drilling out or a new bracket? I have limited tools to use and will not ship a bunch of snap on tools here and don't want to buy a bunch. Have the basics in hand tools so I am trying to do this with limited access to good equipment.

Lastly is what are guys using to fill in the "tailgate" on the back? Plastic, metal????

Oh, I almost forgot. I am looking to do something in the way of paint/wrap. What wraps have worked for you? What fails quickly? I am trying to create something mechanically sound but also look the part!

Thanks as always guys!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8108
Chris, did you ever get anywhere with your Wraith? Any pics?

A question for Harley:
I bought a Wraith RTR last Friday and the bolts have come out of the knuckles already so I just ordered this stuff from A Main Hobbies:
Quote:
1 x AXI30672 Axial Spur Gear 48DP (87T) $4.89
1 x AXIA114 Axial 3x8mm Button Head Screw (Black) (10) $2.49
1 x AXIA117 Axial 3x15mm Button Head Screw (Black) (10) $2.49
1 x AXI30573 Axial 48P Steel Pinion Gear (15T) $5.99
1 x AXIA435 Axial 3x10mm Self Tapping Button Head Screw (Black) (10) $2.49
1 x HHBTMEX35 Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 540 Brushed Electric Motor (35T) $43.99
1 x SPTSTA80061G ST Racing Concepts CNC Machined Precision Aluminum Steering Knuckle Set (Green) (2) $28.49
1 x SPTSTA80062G ST Racing Concepts CNC Machined Precision Aluminum C-Hub Set (Green) (2)
Should I have done anything differently?

MADE IN AMERICA---and proud of it!!!

We also offer the best service and prices available on:
Advance Adapters
Clayton Offroad Suspension
Raceline beadlocks wheels
ORI struts and Radflo shocks
zachv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post

A question for Harley:
I bought a Wraith RTR last Friday and the bolts have come out of the knuckles already so I just ordered this stuff from A Main Hobbies:

Looks like you got it taken care of. I'm a VP whore but the STRC stuff works without a problem. I will say that getti g some new axle shafts will be a good idea at some point. Either Axial universals or the new VP shafts. The Axial will be cheaper and are pretty strong.

RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 113819
I don't know if mine is just an odd case, but I stripped the stock plastic spur gear in 30 minutes. I replaced it with a RRP steel gear, much better. Also, my Axial receiver/transmitter had horrible range. I bought a FlySky FS-GT3B system to replace it from hobbypartz.com. It was right around $50 shipped and comes with a 3rd channel to allow expansion.

I will be looking into the better bushings and axles as well.
DarkXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkXJ View Post
I don't know if mine is just an odd case, but I stripped the stock plastic spur gear in 30 minutes. I replaced it with a RRP steel gear, much better. Also, my Axial receiver/transmitter had horrible range. I bought a FlySky FS-GT3B system to replace it from hobbypartz.com. It was right around $50 shipped and comes with a 3rd channel to allow expansion.

I will be looking into the better bushings and axles as well.
I try to avoid metal spur gears unless I am running a dumb amount of power (Pro4). I suggest plastic 32p gears because they are still much stronger then the stock 48p but they also don't sound like a freaking chain saw like the metal gears do.

RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Weve been having fun with ours but break stuff all the time....

Stock was very disappointing. Was stupid tall, top heavy, poor battery placement, gearing could not crawl. Couldn't go fast couldn't go slow.

RTR kit:
Did a 3S lipo mounted it in the front cowel.
Relocated the ESC between the seats
Castle BEC
Castle programing card for lipo cutoff ESC programming
Re geard to 84/18 now it could crawl better
Flipped CO mounts on the axles to lower it, swapped coils, put real shock oil in it.

First trip stripped the knuckle screw. Bought El cheapo aluminum knuckles that didnt stay tight so I JB welded them on (will suck when it brakes a shaft). Upgraded to aluminum steering.

2nd try the stock steering linkage was a PITA so much flex it would bind up the axles when trying to crawl.

Next trip out the steering horn stripped. Bought a 24T aluminum steering horn.

Next trip out fried the motor.

Im gonna try the Holmes 35t TorqueMaster Pro, was happy with the speed of the stock motor with the 3S lipo but lack crawling.
What did you guys get me into.

We cut the plastic cage and tried to melt weld it but that failed.

My 13yo does all the work, paid $300 into it and I pay upkeep, cool pit crew.
Attached Images

ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 107014
Gotta say I love my Wraith and it's the best crawler I've had that is to scale of anything, and Harley know's his shit, read his posts on RCC and you'll be gtg!
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 64145
To whom it may concern. The stock 80 tooth spur won't work with a small pinion gear. I was able to use a 17, but not quite a 15. I don't have a 16 to try, but it would be close.

I now run an 87 spur, which works with as small as a 12 tooth pinion.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanjeepXJ View Post
Weve been having fun with ours but break stuff all the time....

Stock was very disappointing. Was stupid tall, top heavy, poor battery placement, gearing could not crawl. Couldn't go fast couldn't go slow.

RTR kit:
Did a 3S lipo mounted it in the front cowel.
Relocated the ESC between the seats
Castle BEC
Castle programing card for lipo cutoff ESC programming
Re geard to 84/18 now it could crawl better
Flipped CO mounts on the axles to lower it, swapped coils, put real shock oil in it.

First trip stripped the knuckle screw. Bought El cheapo aluminum knuckles that didnt stay tight so I JB welded them on (will suck when it brakes a shaft). Upgraded to aluminum steering.

2nd try the stock steering linkage was a PITA so much flex it would bind up the axles when trying to crawl.

Next trip out the steering horn stripped. Bought a 24T aluminum steering horn.

Next trip out fried the motor.

Im gonna try the Holmes 35t TorqueMaster Pro, was happy with the speed of the stock motor with the 3S lipo but lack crawling.
What did you guys get me into.

We cut the plastic cage and tried to melt weld it but that failed.

My 13yo does all the work, paid $300 into it and I pay upkeep, cool pit crew.
nice rig... and X2 all that... i have a RTR and i have been replacing all kinds just to get it to work better.. i have lowered it new links on my 3rd steering servo, check the gear and now going to a T55 motor.. still need to move the battery

but when it is working i love it..
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachv View Post

A question for Harley:

Hey Zach! I actually forgot about this thread with all the stuff that's been going on here. Didn't get anywhere with my Wraith, sold it. Was breaking way too much stuff here and parts are not available in the local hobby stores. No one knows of Axial only Traxxas and HPI. Ordered some stuff in the mail but waiting 2-4 weeks is a pain. It was fine on the RTR tires but as soon as I put TSL's on it, snapped a stock axle 3 times out, killed steering servo and horn, and broke stock and aftermarket steering setups. Also loved the width of the Scorpion beadlocks I threw on them. Made it a lot more stable in the off camber stuff. That's all I really got for ya. Plan on picking on up again once I'm home though. May still get a kit and piece it together but not sure I'll be here long enough to make it worth my while shipping stuff over.

How's the shop doing? Staying busy still I hope. You never got back to me (or maybe I was supposed to get back to you) on that Nissan chassis. PM me if you still got it laying around.

Chris

Last edited by hitman_1b; 07-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.