is the hobby worth it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13012
is the hobby worth it?

I'm looking to get in to the rc rockcrawling stuff and from looking through the "show me your crawler" thread some people have some bad ass stuff. Probably a lot more work than I want to do starting off. I have been looking at the Axial xr10 and it looks like from time to time I could pick up a semi built one with 4ch controller for around 600 or so bucks. This one for example- http://www.ebay.com/itm/190666226846...84.m1431.l2649 Does it have decent parts on it? Everything I would need to get started? I know for some of y'all that building them is over half the fun but for now I just want something that will crawl, do digs and will be semi reliable. Anyone regret purchasing an XR10? From driving my buddies Wrath it is way to fast for what I want to do, Another friends Losi is closer to what I am looking for but is not a MOA setup which I think is what I want for the type of stuff I will be doing. Ive got a really nice 1967 Martin 0-16NY if anyone is interested in some kind of trade. The guitar probably worth 1500-2000 range.
lincontaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 36682
I have one that I will sell you in that price range. I can get you pics and specs when I get home tonight. I have a thread in this section somewhere with pics and details if you feel like searching.
edit* Found it;
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=xr10

Last edited by Jwbogger; 04-18-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Jwbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Guess I'm to try it out. Jwbogger made me a deal and I took it. From the video's on youtube the xr10 can do some pretty amazing things.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 148218
That XR should be pretty bullet proof, nice rig.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
That XR should be pretty bullet proof, nice rig.
I'm excited. Glad I could find something already built well. How long do these things usually last on batts? I think it is coming with 2 batts but I may pick up a few extra if they only last 30 mins or so. From looking over on RCCrawler I feel like a complete noob but a lot is starting to make since now.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincontaco View Post
I'm excited. Glad I could find something already built well. How long do these things usually last on batts? I think it is coming with 2 batts but I may pick up a few extra if they only last 30 mins or so. From looking over on RCCrawler I feel like a complete noob but a lot is starting to make since now.
I have a fairly complete guide on the XR over on RCC. It should teach you most all the basics you need to know about the truck. Even though you already have a built truck it would be good info so you know WTF people are babbling about over there.

2013 Grand Nationals 2nd Place Modified Stock
RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Harley0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I have a fairly complete guide on the XR over on RCC. It should teach you most all the basics you need to know about the truck. Even though you already have a built truck it would be good info so you know WTF people are babbling about over there.
Already read it. Actually that was one of the first things I read. Great job
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 148218
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincontaco View Post
Yeah, 2 batteries probably wont give alot of run time. FYI, ive been buying my lipo's from hobbypartz.com lately. They are cheap and work well. You will probably want some that are 11.1 volts and around 1000 mah.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 127790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
HARLEY!!!!! I didnt know you were on here!!!

You should throw up some pics of ur RC room.

The XR is a killer rig. You will love that thing.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 127790
I was running 3s 1050 mah and could get 2 courses with them. Was afraid to try 3. nothing worse that a dead lipo on ur 3rd gate.

But if ur just gunna be messing around with it. you could probably get about 15-20 as long as you arent power digging all over and throttling out of everything.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Who let Harley in here

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Who let Harley in here
Get a damn star!!

2013 Grand Nationals 2nd Place Modified Stock
RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Harley0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Just wanted to say thanks to jwbogger for the crawler. At first I thought the thing was dead out of the box but it turns out the battery was a little low; jwbogger said he would have taken care of what ever needed to get it running (he might need to tell me to charge the damn battery though ). After checking all the connections and putting a freshly charged/balanced battery in it it worked great. The Punk Dig is acting up now for some reason after 4 or 5 packs through the crawler and I think I have messed the rear gears up but I was not easy on it so I dont know if some RC4WD is the answer or if some CA and a paper strip will fix it. Here are a few pics from yesterday on bunny slope 1 at grayrock orv.

Last edited by lincontaco; 04-23-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 127790
I had a little slippage with my stock gears in the rear of my XR. I found that the lower axle half was not true round and it was letting the gear mesh open up some. I shimmed with some little strips of paper under the bearings in the lower axle half. Eventually I put the RC4WD ones in, but left the paper.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
I had a little slippage with my stock gears in the rear of my XR. I found that the lower axle half was not true round and it was letting the gear mesh open up some. I shimmed with some little strips of paper under the bearings in the lower axle half. Eventually I put the RC4WD ones in, but left the paper.
I have new gears on the way; mine are missing about half of the teeth. I am going to shim the stock case when they get here so everything is nice and tight and they do not skip. If that doesnt work I will just buy an aftermarket housing. I want this to be a pretty worry free setup.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 36682
Nice Pics! Glad there wasn't anything wrong electrically with it. I was going to replace it with a Wraith or Ridgecrest, but cant decide now. Let me know if you need anything else, you have my number.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwbogger View Post
Nice Pics! Glad there wasn't anything wrong electrically with it. I was going to replace it with a Wraith or Ridgecrest, but cant decide now. Let me know if you need anything else, you have my number.
Turns out the dig was working, the little exposed wires on the motors just needed to be pulled out a little. I went by the LHS and he figured that out (I'm still learning a good bit) I picked a couple extra 2200mah 3s batts and now get ~45 mins to an hour out of a pack since I have slowed down a little bit. Actually I crawled my whole course at my house (old flower bed with a bunch of landscaping tember and a few rocks here and there) with the throttle trim turned up just enough to turn the wheels. That is something I can live with! Gears should be in today and it will be ready to spend more than 10 mins crawling at Grayrock.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwbogger View Post
The guy at the local hobby shop had a Wraith that was build to same extent as the XR10 I got from you. It was sharp and could crawl pretty good and was flat out stable while drifting unlike my buddies RTR wraith that cant crawl very well and within 10 mins broke a front axle, driveshaft, and a knuckle fell off He soon learned that stock isn't going to cut it so he should have a bunch of goodies
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 107014
Yep.. I broke my front dogbone axle up front and snapped a knuckle all in one shot. It's amazing how fast you can break them!
despain85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Got my new gears in, shimmed the case and did the same for the front. Drove it for about 4 hours yesterday on and off and I just can not get enough of it. I ended up breaking the servo last night (hitech 7955hs). I guess I can send this thing into hitech or just order the gears. I'm hoping I can get titanium replacement gears. I'm going to get the 7950th today and not worry about it. Jwbogger sent me an extra bad ass servo but we put that on my buddies Wraith and WOW it kicks some major ass (DS8711). Off to the hobby shop I go. I have learned that just like the 1:1 stuff it doesn't really matter if you have the absolute best/strongest parts, things are going to break and I have changed the way I drive as well. Before it was crawl and then a big bump to make it up stuff which was kind of violent, now I just try to be patient and work the steering/dig and with 4 more oz in the front tires it is like a goat and will pretty much go where I want it to. We have a really good local hobby shop that carries a good bit of Axial/Vanquish and other good stuff for the crawling crowd so it is nice to able to have the part the same day you break. That and their prices are with in 2-3 bucks of any online store I have looked at.

I put a different motor/gears in my buddies Wraith and it now crawls much better. Before it was fast and very touch with the 20t motor and what ever gears come in the RTR kit. Now he just needs dig and I think he will be set.

Last edited by lincontaco; 04-28-2012 at 09:59 AM.