Thoughts on the Redcat ROCKSLIDE RS10 XT - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 217385
Question Thoughts on the Redcat ROCKSLIDE RS10 XT

What do you guys think about this truck? I'm not new to the RC world but I'm getting away from the fast nitro stuff and getting into the crawling. I picked one of these up because it was cheap enough and will allow me to see if I really want to dip into this part of the hobby.

Give me your thoughts on the Redcat ROCKSLIDE RS10 XT and also what part brands are compatible with this for upgrades?

Thanks
muzzle_blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
It may give you a glimpse into the world of crawling but you'll have to understand it is far from a quality crawler. If you like it you should look into getting into something of a better quality.

2013 Grand Nationals 2nd Place Modified Stock
RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Harley0706 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 217385
Right on, I just wanted to see if it will be of any interest and if I would even want to dive into it further. My big thing is, I want to get out of the nitro stuff just because it's a pain anymore dealing with the engines.

What would a "quality" rig be to start with if I am to dip further into this realm?
muzzle_blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
dick tater

Member # 187534
For crawling I would suggest a BERG
For bashing i would suggest a Traxxas slash 4x4
For a crawler/basher I would suggest a Traxxas Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Yo P***y Stank Like A Fish Tank
QUOTE=Rooney77;24874306]
If it comes out black, I'm gonna stab toymoto.[/QUOTE]
707offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzle_blast View Post
Right on, I just wanted to see if it will be of any interest and if I would even want to dive into it further. My big thing is, I want to get out of the nitro stuff just because it's a pain anymore dealing with the engines.

What would a "quality" rig be to start with if I am to dip further into this realm?
For competition crawling, Axial XR10. I have a XR10 and a Berg, they are close to the same and cost about the same in the end for properly built up axles. However Axial parts are easy to come by and Bergs are getting harder and harder.

For messing around out on the trails and such, the Axial Wraith or Axial SCX10 are great.

Just go to www.rccrawler.com and start reading.

RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Last edited by Harley0706; 05-07-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
dick tater

Member # 187534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
For competition crawling, Axial XR10. I have a XR10 and a Berg, they are close to the same and cost about the same in the end for properly built up axles. However Axial parts are easy to come by and Bergs are getting harder and harder.

For messing around out on the trails and such, the Axial Wraith or Axial SCX10 are great.

Just go to www.rccrawler.com and start reading.
Do they make fireproof axials yet I hear those things don't like skateparks
Quote:
QUOTE=Rooney77;24874306]
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 66238
Bergs pretty much done for, correct? Go Axial
[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Red"]Rally post #422[/COLOR][/FONT]
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
dick tater

Member # 187534
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170828265555
Also this thing is pretty sweet for the price and I've heard parts are interchangeable with axial. My buddy has a Axial Wraith and every time I talk to him he has busted something
Quote:
QUOTE=Rooney77;24874306]
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
dick tater

Member # 187534
for those that don't like links
$359.00 RTR crawler

High quality rc rock crawler features common componentry for easy interchangeability and upgradeability as well as ease of adaptability to other vehicles. For exmaple our axles will fit many other vehicles such as the Tamiya High Lift series, Axial AX10, HPI Wheelie King, as well as almost any other vehicles that uses a separate axle design.

Axles are a realistic looking, string metal design with solid construction for added weight and durability. They feature 4 gear differential for maximum strength and power transfer. Also included are locking pins to lock the differential for extra traction when needed. The axle features multiple mounting points that can accommodate leaf springs as well as a multitude of link attachments. At the ends of the axle there are simulated brake drums that can be modified to look like disk brakes. The drive hexes incorporate a set screw that holds them on the axle when wheel is not attached. Full ball bearings are included with each axle. A CNC cut steel ring and pinion gear are the heart of this durable and rigid axle. Like the rest of the parts on these vehicles these axles lend themselves to the custom builder because of their flexibility of installation and extreme quality.

CNC MACHINES ALUMINUM
Chassis is a class leading design. Our chassis is a sturdy 6061 aluminum ladder frame design that is CNC cut to our rigid specifications. The 6mm thick chassis rails can accept leaf springs as well as virtually any axle and transmission design currently offered for maximum adaptability. There are 3 cross members made of 6mm think 6061 aluminum. The battery mounting cross member incorporates a proven ventilation slot design for lower battery operating temperatures and longer run times. The other cross members are 6mm thick for maximum strength. The cross members are secured with countersunk flat head 3mm screws for a clean look and less chance of hang up. There are 5 points to mount shocks to for maximum flexibility. The chassis is 17 1/8 inches long and 3 3/8 wide all holes are 3mm. Our chassis alone is an excellent starting point for any custom built RC scale truck project.

SHOCKS
shocks have realistic looks. Features include an internal spring, CNC aluminum bodies with aluminum rod ends. They also can be painted for a more custom look. Komodo shocks are offered in a 120mm and 90mm length. The 120mm shock compresses to 85.5mm and the 90mm shock compresses to 70mm. The rod end and shock cap feature a 3mm pivot ball for direct bolt on compatibility with most other vehicles.

LINKS
Links are CNC cut from 6061 aluminum and polished to a shine. They are 6.3mm in diameter. Komodo links come in pairs and can be usefully applied to other vehicles.
Attached Images

Quote:
QUOTE=Rooney77;24874306]
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100585
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707offroad View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170828265555
Also this thing is pretty sweet for the price and I've heard parts are interchangeable with axial. My buddy has a Axial Wraith and every time I talk to him he has busted something
Meh, they are pretty crappy overseas melted pop can aluminum. I've seen one in person, not impressed. If you've not owned the rest though you may miss the differences.

The Wraith is the most fun I've had in a long time. The Slash got boring in a hurry and the Summit was about the same. The Wraith NEEDS upgrades but after that it amazing.

RC Jimmy's 4x4 ULTRA4
RC Goat Built IBEX

Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 64145
The Wraith needs about $300 in upgrades before it can actually be abused.

I spent that before I even got through a complete pack, but now it's quite a bit of fun. I would not recommend it as an introductory crawler as you'll spend more time working the bugs out than driving it for quite a while.

The SCX is more durable stock, cheaper, and still quite capable. The smaller tires reduce the total capability, but they make more terrain challenging and reward more precise driving. The small tires also essentially add durability to the axles which were originally designed for larger 2.2 tires.

If you can find a used AX-10 then that'd be a good start as well.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 939
"EVERYTHING" Needs upgrades ! The RS10 is a great lil starter rig. Yes, it needs upgrades, so dose the Wraith ! I have an upgraded RS10 and it runs great and gives me many smiles on my lil back yard rock pile. Comping is NOT the end all, be all, to everything ! Just bashing around on the rocks is fun too !
Run what ya brung and have fun !
Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 187259
Muzzle Blast is a homo.

He will be crawling mostly on my backyard course. Good thing I rearranged it a little.
Ultimatehellhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 78101
Keep in mind the wraith only needs upgrades because the buyer will ultimately want to upgrade it for better performance. Better performance often means more power that leads to broken parts.

I have several $100 into mine but because I love the truck. Friends of mine have had great luck with there stock wraiths.

I've owned over 30 rc's and the wraith is my favorite by far!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 99058
The red cats are fine if you tweak them a little. I've been happy with mine with the little improvements that i've made. For 150 bucks you cant really beat them, just upgrade as you go. Everyone says that the stock electronics are junk but after dropping off a ledge and being completely submerged in water, a days worth of drying out later and its perfectly fine. Not saying I wont upgrade in the future but they're not bad.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 156136
I love my redcat! I know it's not a fancy comp rig or anything, but I can crawl wit the best of em. And I have FAR less money in it than all my friends wit axials and bergs. I've ordered most my parts from ZNO RC I believe it's called. The main thing is to lower the suspension, get the hardened pins for the spur gear and buy a good servo.... and get rid of rear steer, just more junk to deal with and fix!
cottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 222332
Looking @ owning a Redcat RS10 XT...

I've been doing a lot of reviewing on the newer XT but have heard many pros and cons. Can anyone give me a good solid review and arrows in the direction of mods? I'm thinking about doing the BTA steering on the front, TSL Super Swampers, steel gear high torque servos, steel differential gears and possibly lipo. And is the review I heard about the rear axle "lagging" actually true? And is that because of redcat's ESC?
red_russian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 216268
Check the Venom Creeper out. Great starting point and crawls really well.

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/venom-c...en-p-1406.html
marc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
dick tater

Member # 187534
That venom creeper is a piece of cr@p. seriously do NOT buy the venom creeper!
Quote:
QUOTE=Rooney77;24874306]
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 216268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707offroad View Post
That venom creeper is a piece of cr@p. seriously do NOT buy the venom creeper!
Enroute no longer makes the Berg, so if you do find one they're usually above $500...
If you're going to buy a cheap Chinese crawler, don't spend $359 on eBay.
Order from the factories.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Subzero-110-S...-RTR_p_15.html
or
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...k_Crawler.html

I've had a Creeper for over a year and done a LOT of crawling with it, at the same time had an AX10. Venom crawled better, has less torque squat and is simple to maintain.

Guess everyone has their own experiences.

Last edited by marc.; 06-28-2012 at 06:41 PM.
marc. is offline   Reply With Quote