Check out the new Axial Bomber! - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-OP View Post
Holy crap, this thing needs a sway bar bad. I like the look of the Currie licensed version.
Yep, the torque twist is pretty impressive out of the box! I currently have the Axial "soft" sway bar on mine, but think I'd like to find something "softer"...

Another thing I would upgrade immediately (as mentioned earlier in this thread) is the servo horn, get an aluminum clamping 25t version, you will strip the stock plastic one in no time, probably why Axial provides 2 or 3 replacements in the box!
COcamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 397210
I have the Axial horn already. Once I break the stock on, i'll swap it over.

Also I really need to the pull the cage and change the drag brake to 50%. The 100% drag brake is a PITA to slow for corners
non-OP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 397210
Took it out today and ran it for a a bit. Bone stock, even the front servo horn. Two massive crashes/tumbles and the thing is unhurt. Even the steering trim is fine, so no jumping teeth.

Sorry for the FB video links. Super steep hillside. Pretty far up there too

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bryng...11352915340800

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bryng...05005470483980

Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 121426
Love my bomber. Just scored on e on CL rtr for 225 with charger. Bought a 3s batt and commenced to wheelin. Having fun. Def beeds a sway bar though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 137692
Quote:
Holy crap, this thing needs a sway bar bad. I like the look of the Currie licensed version.
This is the one thing I bought for mine fairly quickly. Helps with the torque twist a lot, definitely limits the rear articulation a ton but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing yet with my little bit of playing with it.

I am running the stock links, it probably needs shorter ones at some point but it does barely clear the cage.

About to order up a 3S battery as this thing definitely needs some more speed.

Everyone is recommending the Mamba Monster X + Holmes Puller Pro which closes in on $280 which i'm not dying to spend on this thing at the moment, especially when it will require new ring & pinions at a minimum and probably new drive & axle shafts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75' Forty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #31 (permalink)
Fabster

Member # 3069
Glad you guys are enjoying the Bomber RC.

Bomber Kits and RTR's are in stock.

Bomberfab.com

Currie Enterprises
PSC Steering
BFGoodrich Tires
Reid Racing
King Shocks
Trail Ready Wheels
Baja Designes
K&N
CBM Engines
Bulldog Winch
Spidertrax
Maximum Trans
CBR Radiator
PRP seats
Steinjager
PCI
208 Motorsports

2015 KING
2013 KING

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 687570
first thing i did with mine was lower metal links and an extra set of shock all the way around. It worked great as a crawler and had tone of power on 3s. Got crazey and swapped in a 3900 brushless and mamba max esc. Lots of crazey speed, but definately needed the sways bars for sure at that point
Skinanboness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 397210
Just added a bunch of parts, including metal drag link/tie rod, wider tires and heavier wheels. Broke the RTR servo internals after about 300 yds of running. Not that it was not unexpected but I was not even really bashing on it. Oh well. New mid-grade servo and a BEC just to get back up and running. I'll look into a better/stronger servo later
Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 137692
Quote:
Just added a bunch of parts, including metal drag link/tie rod, wider tires and heavier wheels. Broke the RTR servo internals after about 300 yds of running. Not that it was not unexpected but I was not even really bashing on it. Oh well. New mid-grade servo and a BEC just to get back up and running. I'll look into a better/stronger servo later
I think I did the same a couple days ago when I finally got mine running again.

Put a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro and Mamba Monster X in mine with a 3 cell battery.

Thing is much quicker now, however seems extremely easy to topple over.

Need to fiddle with getting the throttle set up better for crawling now, but it should be a fun little basher while out walking my dog in the trails once it's got the weak links worked out.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 397210
More weight down low and reducing the drag brake made during much better. I also softened up the shock preload. It's better but will still flop over on occasion

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 86724
do you have a castle link?

get one. You can program throttle curves in the ESC.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 137692
Quote:
More weight down low and reducing the drag brake made during much better. I also softened up the shock preload. It's better but will still flop over on occasion
I think i can switch the drag brake on/off with my remote. I just didn't have enough time to screw with it before I broke it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
do you have a castle link?

get one. You can program throttle curves in the ESC.
Not yet. The ESC came with a coupon for it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It should be a fun little car, but it does get expensive quick

Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 397210
What servos are you guys using for this thing? I broke the RTR one after upgrading to metal links with a metal horn. Took all of 200 yds of crawling big rocks.

Replaced it with Savox 231NG and it broke yesterday. Do i need to start looking at $100-150 titanium gear, digital coreless stuff?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 169788
I upgraded to the Savox SA-1283SG. So far it has been working great, it's quick and strong, and looks good too with a full aluminum housing...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 397210
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcamper View Post
I upgraded to the Savox SA-1283SG. So far it has been working great, it's quick and strong, and looks good too with a full aluminum housing...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have metal draglink/tierod? Metal servo horn?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Have metal draglink/tierod? Metal servo horn?
Yes, I've upgraded a ton of shit on this damn "toy"!! Metal servo horn, metal steering rods, metal links, metal driveshaft, replaced the lockers with spools, new axles front and rear, etc.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 397210
Quote:
Yes, I've upgraded a ton of shit on this damn "toy"!! Metal servo horn, metal steering rods, metal links, metal driveshaft, replaced the lockers with spools, new axles front and rear, etc.
Thanks, just checking on the steering swap.

And yes I feel ya' on the upgrades. I've upgradded tires, beadlocks, two stage foams, metal links, swaybar, lightbars and in route are new aluminum skins and I just painted the cage.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Thanks, just checking on the steering swap.

And yes I feel ya' on the upgrades. I've upgradded tires, beadlocks, two stage foams, metal links, swaybar, lightbars and in route are new aluminum skins and I just painted the cage.
Tires, wheels and foams are on my next upgrade list. What combo did you go with?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 397210
Quote:
Tires, wheels and foams are on my next upgrade list. What combo did you go with?
Pro-Line Flat Iron XL

Vanuqish KMC Enduro (these use SAE hardware, so your normal RC metric tools don't fit. I had to go dig up a hex wrench that worked)

SLW 350 hubs

Double Deuce foams. 5.5 medium in front without the thin outer and 6.0 medium in rear with all the included bits.

The tires are wide (XL) so it takes some effort to mount them with the DD foams. But once mounted, they are cool.

The fronts are about as soft as the RTR setup, but only until you hit the closed cell inner. They wrap and grab really well but don't totally fold over on a side hill. The rear are fairly firm, soft to about 1/4" then start to firm up
Old 05-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 169788
Quote:
Pro-Line Flat Iron XL

Vanuqish KMC Enduro (these use SAE hardware, so your normal RC metric tools don't fit. I had to go dig up a hex wrench that worked)

SLW 350 hubs

Double Deuce foams. 5.5 medium in front without the thin outer and 6.0 medium in rear with all the included bits.

The tires are wide (XL) so it takes some effort to mount them with the DD foams. But once mounted, they are cool.

The fronts are about as soft as the RTR setup, but only until you hit the closed cell inner. They wrap and grab really well but don't totally fold over on a side hill. The rear are fairly firm, soft to about 1/4" then start to firm up
Cool, thanks for the info, I'll check those out.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 397210
my skins came today

Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 232400
I have a kit version, the thing is an amazing amount of fun! Im running a 3800kv motor on 3s and a 2 speed trans. Run stock tires for bashing around and Swamper XL for crawling. Only thing i managed to break were 2 6230 spectrum servos, I have replaced with a Hi-Tech titanium gear servo. Defiantly needs a sway bar if you drive any faster than crawler speed!
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.