Lets see your vintage RCs - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5176
I used to race r/c with a Marui Hunter, and kick ass against those RS10's from Tamia.

Best set-up was deep lugged front tires, which were heavy, but able to turn on a dime. Kept my momentum up into & out of the turns where the 10's would totally fly-by on the straights.

I had judges check the car twice (difference events) to be sure I wasn't racing 4x4 in 2x4 races. Lol.

Great memories.

STOLEN!!! -->'80 CJ-7 w/ 258 I-6,T-176,D300, '94 YJ tub, '83 toy axles front & rear, Smirffield front axles, w/3.90's, 'YJ rears up front, and a bunch of home-grown patches, all sitting on BFG 35" MTs.

Post #411

Last edited by Blame Canada; 12-23-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Blame Canada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 253146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame Canada View Post
I used to race r/c with a Marui Hunter, and kick ass against those RS10's from Tamia.

Best set-up was deep lugged front tires, which were heavy, but able to turn on a dime. Kept my momentum up into & out of the turns where the 10's would totally fly-by on the straights.

I had judges check the car twice (difference events) to be sure I wasn't racing 4x4 in 2x4 races. Lol.

Great memories.
This was the first hobby grade RC I ever bought. Great car. I ended up selling it and getting the Big Bear (Datsun Pickup) from the same company (Mauri or Mauru).
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17680
I've got quite a collection of vintage Tamiya RCs. Blazing blazer, bruiser, bruiser with blazing blazer body, Clod Buster, Sand Scorcher, 3 Wild Willy I's, Wild Willy 2, Midnight Pumpkin, and tons of spare parts. Also have a couple of the old Mountain Man K5 blazers..( they were made by Shinsei "Radio Elecon") I think. I need to take some pics of all of them.

Link to my M38 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WildWilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
I had a few back in the day, mostly tamiya and kyosho.

Frog, hornet, hotshot, bruiser, wild willy. Also had a nitro kyosho vanning and I used to race a kyosho optima mid at the old srs track back when I lived in Tempe, AZ.

Got back into rc after a 20 yr hiatus and wow things have changed! Brushless + lipo = bad ass. I race a Mugen mbx6t Eco now and have a few traxxas cars.
You ever race at Crippen's Hobbytown in Tucson? Not sure how long he had it..... I worked there a few years in college while I was down there(mid-late90's). He had -the- setup having an off road track, dirt oval, and pavement oval and road course

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
I've got quite a collection of vintage Tamiya RCs. Blazing blazer, bruiser, bruiser with blazing blazer body, Clod Buster, Sand Scorcher, 3 Wild Willy I's, Wild Willy 2, Midnight Pumpkin, and tons of spare parts. Also have a couple of the old Mountain Man K5 blazers..( they were made by Shinsei "Radio Elecon") I think. I need to take some pics of all of them.
You should, sounds like a neat collection!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
I had a Hornet when I was young. I had a RC 10 and a Big Bear in high school. I raced the Big Bear at the Ranch Pit Stop back then. I lost/sold them over the years. I recently picked up another gold pan RC 10 all original with the mechanical speed control. Of course I have a bunch of axial stuff and a couple of Slashes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 04:32 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
That was Tyco. I remember that's all I wanted for my birthday one year and I was stoked. Got it and it was a fast little bugger, but I stripped out the trans the same day. We took it back, gave us another one, and the same thing happened. I said hell with it and traded it in for some legos or technic or something like that. I was bummed about the truck though cause it was cool as shit:

I think I had one those too. I was about 5, I got it for Christmas and mine too broke on the first day I had it. Maybe it was the gears that stripped? I dont remember, I was to little, I just know it broke. We took it back to Toys R Us and I got a tank. The tank looked cool it was realistic, but it sucked. Its remote was a walkie talkie with one button. Push it once it makes engine noise and goes straight push it again it makes cannon noise push it again it makes engine noise and turns push it again cannon push it again engine noise and goes straight. Yeah, It sucked but it looked so cool in the box.

The next year I got the Tyco Hi-Jacker. It was a Lambourghini body that lifted up with a button. It might have been built on the same frame as that Black Bandit. The Hi-Jacker lasted me years until the battery finally gave up and I pulled the rear axle off of it to turn my Jeremy McGrath dirtbike into a three-wheeler.

I guess I had fun with my cheap RC cars too. Cheap RC cars now days are no where near as good as they used to be. The new ones are not even worth your time even for a little kid.

Last edited by KungFooMASTA; 12-30-2016 at 04:33 AM.
KungFooMASTA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 40417
My first cheap r/c car and ever was a Nikko Chipmunk

There's one on ebay right now :

Vintage Nikko RC Lot Chipmunk, Mini Cosmo, Mini Jammer, & 3 Others | eBay

$5 (The red buggy in the back)

edit: Not nearly as cool as the hobby quality stuff we've been discussing. Gotta start somewhere though...

Last edited by FlexyTJ; 12-30-2016 at 04:53 PM.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly4x4 View Post
I've got a Mountain Man Blazer, it works except for the steering - the transmitter will control the drive motors forward and reverse just fine, but as soon as I turn on the transmitter, the steering cranks all the way over hard left and stays there. No amount of joystick wiggling or trim settings has any effect.

You have a transmitter or transmitter circuit board you're willing to sell? I'd love to get this thing working again.

Update: Never mind, I found the problem - these don't have an actual steering servo, it's really just a electric motor that turns a set of plastic 90 degree bevel gears to move the front wheels left and right. The linkage connects to a rotary potentiometer that tells the control board how far the motor and linkage have turned away from center (I know, it sounds like a description of a servo, but it's not, quite). Anyway, there's a coupling that fits over one of the gear shafts and has a screwdriver-like end that fits into the slot on the end of the potentiometer shaft to turn it. That coupling was loose, the pot never got turned, so the steering motor kept trying to rotate. Took it apart, a little superglue, reassembled, and success.

Forget how slow this thing was. Cool to get it working again, though.

Last edited by earlybroncoguy; 02-16-2017 at 05:37 PM.
earlybroncoguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Talking Speed control with BEC

Found this in an old tool box:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.