Lets see your vintage RCs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139345
Location: Kingman, KS
Posts: 685
Lets see your vintage RCs

80s Royal Ripper 4x4, 4 wheel steer, oil shocks. Still In the box.

I got this thing back in high school from a thrift store. The box says $15.00 on it but I think I paid $3 for it. All the parts are there still in the blister packs. Decals still on the sheet, shock oil in a bottle, instruction manual is there. I dont think I will do anything with it. I think it is neat it has never been opened, trust me it was hard as a teen to not pull it out and put it together. Luckily I had a Losi XXX-NT to keep me entertained back then. Here is a few pics.







__________________
Guns dont kill people.....Cops kill people..............BANG! - Chong.
KungFooMASTA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139345
Location: Kingman, KS
Posts: 685
Here is a XX-T.

I traded a friend a Nitro Rustler for this. It has a few upgraded parts on it. I have ran it a little bit but it is so cool I dont want to break it. I love the late 80s early 90s colors.



__________________
Guns dont kill people.....Cops kill people..............BANG! - Chong.
KungFooMASTA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 9,091
I never knew royal was into car kits too.

there's a joke about all royal airplane kits.
The manual always told you to simply shape the noseblock.

well it usualy was about a 4x4 chunk of solid balsa with no markings....
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Apple
 
makya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41250
Location: That place we hid that thing that time
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
I never knew royal was into car kits too.

there's a joke about all royal airplane kits.
The manual always told you to simply shape the noseblock.

well it usualy was about a 4x4 chunk of solid balsa with no markings....
I've always wanted a royal Ripper. it's essentially a tamiya boomerang with 4ws. I remember seeing one at an outdoor track as a teen and drooling over it. they were fragile, but in their day they were quick on a track.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII
- really? I might take one in the ass for that.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Member # 253146
Location: in a cave somewhere in CO
Posts: 135

Heres one with my Clod and a Tamiya Wild Dagger. The Clod has a E.S.P. 4 link chassis (i still have both of these)

Here is a Kyosho Big boss. I still have it as well. I have a few I still have a RC10T, a TA-01 stadium truck, a Kyosho Double Dare and a Kyosho Optima. and a Tamiya King Blackfoot. I was into RC pretty deep back in the day. My son gets to enjoy them now
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God
 
KacksterK5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5851
Location: Harford County, MD
Posts: 1,691
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
I have a Boomerang and a Losi truck in a box I the garage.
__________________
"If you ain't first, you're last"


86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it


02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40417
Location: CRAWLoRADo
Posts: 520
I have a couple old ones at my folks, the rest never survived my junk it for something new attitude:

old/1st boats (early mid 90's):

-Parma Ski Tiger (1st surface drive kit boat)
-Hobby Lobby Ninja (1st kit boat)
-Dumas 'Lil Swamp Buggy airboat powered by Cox .049

First nitro truck early 90's:

Thunder Tiger 2wd .16 Can't remember trucks name....

Planes: I still have parts of the Piper cub I learned to fly on.

Helis: Nothing but my current flyable examples exist. All converted into smoking holes in the ground or parted out

edit: Not worthy of another post but buddy had a Kyosho Ultima, then Optima. High quality stuff, my parents didn't buy me goodies like that

edit2: I see they are re-releasing some of these, the Optima looks cool even all these years later:

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Optima-...t_p_24246.html

Last edited by FlexyTJ; 12-21-2016 at 04:54 PM.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scruffy looking
 
LigBoozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102467
Location: Trapped in Hella Land
Posts: 3,081
My first true love was the Taymia Hornet. I'd love to find one in decent shape just to dink around with.

I don't remember the make, but I used to have a truck called the turbo bandit, it was a Nissan hardbody. Controller trigger had a detent you had to click into and that was the "turbo".
__________________
The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. - George Washington

Last edited by LigBoozer; 12-21-2016 at 06:54 PM.
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40417
Location: CRAWLoRADo
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigBoozer View Post
My first true love was the Taymia Hornet. I'd love to find one in decent shape just to dink around with.

I don't remember the make, but I used to have a truck called the turbo bandit, it was a Nissan hardbody. Controller trigger had a detent you had to click into and that was the "turbo".
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-TMYTAM.../dp/B000FG86VO

I think Tamiya has a retro or vintage series going on too. ? I want an old Tamiya Fox.
__________________
Better to be a racer for a moment, than a spectator for a lifetime.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Scruffy looking
 
LigBoozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102467
Location: Trapped in Hella Land
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-TMYTAM.../dp/B000FG86VO

I think Tamiya has a retro or vintage series going on too. ? I want an old Tamiya Fox.
That's cool.

I hate to be that guy, but I'd like it to be original.

Lame, I know.
__________________
The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. - George Washington

Last edited by LigBoozer; 12-21-2016 at 07:45 PM.
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigBoozer View Post
That's cool.

I hate to be that guy, but I'd like it to be original.

Lame, I know.
the retro kits are 100% made from the old molds and shit.

They are just like you remember.

please just don't put a resistive speed controller in it though.
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
amgraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80867
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigBoozer View Post
I don't remember the make, but I used to have a truck called the turbo bandit, it was a Nissan hardbody. Controller trigger had a detent you had to click into and that was the "turbo".
That was Tyco. I remember that's all I wanted for my birthday one year and I was stoked. Got it and it was a fast little bugger, but I stripped out the trans the same day. We took it back, gave us another one, and the same thing happened. I said hell with it and traded it in for some legos or technic or something like that. I was bummed about the truck though cause it was cool as shit:

__________________
1987 4Runner, Locked, dented, 33s - 2011 F-350 6.7 Tow Rig
2006 4Runner - Wife's
amgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40417
Location: CRAWLoRADo
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
the retro kits are 100% made from the old molds and shit.

They are just like you remember.

please just don't put a resistive speed controller in it though.
I think the Hornet (and Grasshopper) had solid rear axle assemblies. Would be interesting to see how they hold up and drive with modern brushless stuff. Probably have to stay conservative on the power system to keep the drivetrain alive.

The old ones aren't really about outright speed anyhow. I need to stop looking and thinking about this thread before it prompts me to buy something I don't need
__________________
Better to be a racer for a moment, than a spectator for a lifetime.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 9,091
I wouldn't even try. Brushless would eat them up without a doubt. Hell, they broke with can 540's and nicads.

I'd do lipo and brushed and enjoy being able to run it for longer than 8 minutes.

I can't remember what my old kyosho was called.
I know that it liked to toss dogbones regularly. Pretty sure for every 10 minutes I spent running it I spent 30 looking for a dogbone in the street.

and 45 minutes with a timer style charger.

edit:
I think it was a Pegasus
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Last edited by 87manche; 12-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tizken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161963
Posts: 45
We used to use a bread twist tie so when the dog bone spit out it was still attached to the car. Like a wheel teether.

I was just thinking about my Tamiya fox last night, first rc car back when the hot thing was the aluminum tub short arm rc-10.
Tizken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Perfection in Plasma
 
carslut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Member # 25823
Location: USA
Posts: 2,670
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
good stuff...... i came across some of my rc stuff the other day......


tamiya clod buster - (1989) - clodzilla 3 frame and other non oe parts
kyosho - Big Boss - (1990)
Team Associated - RC10T- (1991)
Team losi - XX - (1994)

i will have to dust them off and snap pics
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Apple
 
makya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41250
Location: That place we hid that thing that time
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
I wouldn't even try. Brushless would eat them up without a doubt. Hell, they broke with can 540's and nicads.

I'd do lipo and brushed and enjoy being able to run it for longer than 8 minutes.

I can't remember what my old kyosho was called.
I know that it liked to toss dogbones regularly. Pretty sure for every 10 minutes I spent running it I spent 30 looking for a dogbone in the street.

and 45 minutes with a timer style charger.

edit:
I think it was a Pegasus
Stick to planes

I've got a lunchbox and a hornet, both have been run on 10.5t 4 pole brushless motors with no issues(lunchbox has the same rear axle assembly), other than being uncontrollable. I run the hornet on a 27t brushed epic can on 2s and it has too much power for how small and light it is. anything under half throttle and it flips when you squeeze the trigger.

the only difference on the re-release of the hornet, is that the chassis has been slightly changed to accommodate an esc better.

I wish I still had a kyosho double dare. I remember when ROAR had a monster truck class, and the kyosho would lap the clod, everytime.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII
- really? I might take one in the ass for that.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Member # 253146
Location: in a cave somewhere in CO
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
I think the Hornet (and Grasshopper) had solid rear axle assemblies. Would be interesting to see how they hold up and drive with modern brushless stuff. Probably have to stay conservative on the power system to keep the drivetrain alive.

The old ones aren't really about outright speed anyhow. I need to stop looking and thinking about this thread before it prompts me to buy something I don't need
I bought my son a new Grasshopper last year for Christmas. I dont know if its all of them, or just his, but we have a lot of problems with the gears on the axle. Lots of noise and sounds like they are grinding a lot of the time. I CA glued all the pinions (in essence locked the diff) and it helped, but I remember them being a lot tougher back in the day. I would no way put in a high powered brushless with LiPo in it. I would imagine it would just literally explode.

I want a new rere Kyosho Optima. I would definitely run a 3 or 4s and brushless. My original would become a shelf queen and I would rule with the new one
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Apple
 
makya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41250
Location: That place we hid that thing that time
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE V2.0@ View Post
I bought my son a new Grasshopper last year for Christmas. I dont know if its all of them, or just his, but we have a lot of problems with the gears on the axle. Lots of noise and sounds like they are grinding a lot of the time. I CA glued all the pinions (in essence locked the diff) and it helped, but I remember them being a lot tougher back in the day. I would no way put in a high powered brushless with LiPo in it. I would imagine it would just literally explode.

I want a new rere Kyosho Optima. I would definitely run a 3 or 4s and brushless. My original would become a shelf queen and I would rule with the new one
if the diff gears were slipping, then the case was expanding, or you need extra shims on the side gears to hold them against the diff. the problem with gluing the diff gears is that it reduces steering, especially on those little tamiya buggies that have almost mo weight on the front end already.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII
- really? I might take one in the ass for that.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I run the hornet on a 27t brushed epic can on 2s and it has too much power for how small and light it is.

so what you're saying is, you run it exactly like I advocated running it?

__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20092
Location: Porker, CO
Posts: 3,478
I had a few back in the day, mostly tamiya and kyosho.

Frog, hornet, hotshot, bruiser, wild willy. Also had a nitro kyosho vanning and I used to race a kyosho optima mid at the old srs track back when I lived in Tempe, AZ.

Got back into rc after a 20 yr hiatus and wow things have changed! Brushless + lipo = bad ass. I race a Mugen mbx6t Eco now and have a few traxxas cars.
__________________
'94 Toyota Land Cruiser FJZ80 - Vortec L33 5.3l, 4L60e, elocked, 3" OME lift, 315 KM2s, Warn 8074.
rock-rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Apple
 
makya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41250
Location: That place we hid that thing that time
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
so what you're saying is, you run it exactly like I advocated running it?

shoosh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII
- really? I might take one in the ass for that.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Scruffy looking
 
LigBoozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102467
Location: Trapped in Hella Land
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
That was Tyco. I remember that's all I wanted for my birthday one year and I was stoked. Got it and it was a fast little bugger, but I stripped out the trans the same day. We took it back, gave us another one, and the same thing happened. I said hell with it and traded it in for some legos or technic or something like that. I was bummed about the truck though cause it was cool as shit:

Bingo.

Had a ton of fun with that truck. Mine had a leopard pattern decal with red writing.

Also just remembered another early r/c I had, the "Mountain Man". It was a squarebody blazer. It was the first 4x4 car I owned. Had a selector switch on the top to go from 2wd to 4wd. I think it took like ten AA batteries.
__________________
The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. - George Washington
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
amgraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 80867
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigBoozer View Post
Bingo.

Had a ton of fun with that truck. Mine had a leopard pattern decal with red writing.

Also just remembered another early r/c I had, the "Mountain Man". It was a squarebody blazer. It was the first 4x4 car I owned. Had a selector switch on the top to go from 2wd to 4wd. I think it took like ten AA batteries.
Dude, nostalgia got the best of me and I started looking up those Bandit trucks on ebay. They're anywhere from $150-600 in varying states of fawked
__________________
1987 4Runner, Locked, dented, 33s - 2011 F-350 6.7 Tow Rig
2006 4Runner - Wife's
amgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Scruffy looking
 
LigBoozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102467
Location: Trapped in Hella Land
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
Dude, nostalgia got the best of me and I started looking up those Bandit trucks on ebay. They're anywhere from $150-600 in varying states of fawked
Typical.
__________________
The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. - George Washington
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.