Pirate 4x4 banner

RC electronics

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  88_Pathy 
#1 ·
I'm a bit of an RC nut. I have owned and played with buggies and planes for a while. Now that my planes are up to snuff with brushless motors and Lipo's, it's time to focus on the cars again.

The last time I bought a car was 5 years ago. It is an RC-10 with all of the best hardware of its time. To say the least it is now dated and the batteries are shot. I'd like to know from those "in the know" whether it would be best to update and hot rod the RC-10 with lipo's and a brushless setup, or scrap it. It is in great shape with lots of spares in a box. This car will be updated or replaced, because every rc addict needs a buggy.

I'm getting an Axial RTR for christmas (hence my being here in this forum). I know about the ARTR and its benefits, but that is not my choice. Parts will be replaced as they break for better components, but I'm sure I will get sick of the 21 turn motor and no brakes real quick. I've seen many recommendations for ESC's, and read much more. I like the hype that the "Goat" novak system spouts. My main question here is to figure out what ESC's will have a brake that is suited for crawling.

Last but not least, I fell in love with the traxxas slayer. I've never done nirto, but if all goes well, this is my new distant target purchase. Any comments?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Castle Creations Sidewinder
Castle Creations Mamba Max
Tekin FX-R
Tekin B1-R
I own a Sidewinder and Mamba Max and love both of them. I use the Sidewinder/5700Kv combo in my Slash and a Mamba Max in my 2.2 comp rig. You can control brushless motors with both of those, if that is the route you may one day.
The Tekin ESC's are pretty good, too. They will not control brushless motors though. I don't have either of the Tekin ESC's, but am waiting on a B1-R for my Losi Mini Crawler...
It's my understanding that the Tekin ESC's have better drag brakes than the Castle Creation ESC's, but I'm very happy with my CC's.
All four offer reverse, drag brake and you can adjust each ESC also...

#4 ·
Definitely clears things up a bit. Thanks!

That is not the first time I've heard good things about CC's ESC's, and my local hobby shop just happens to have one in stock. I just wasn't sure if it had brakes. I'm sure I'll stick to brushed for now.

Another thing I wonder about - Is there a way to do 4-wheel steering that would resemble a sky-trak? This is where one toggle can turn the rear off in position 1, turn it on in position 2, and switch to crab in position 3. In all 3 positions you only need to turn the steering knob for control.
This may be how it's done - but I'm a crawler newb so go easy.

To elaborate on the RC10 a little, I'm just more or less wondering if the technology has grown enough in 5 years to warrant a new rig - rather than an upgrade.

#5 · (Edited)
same situation here.........clod and rc10t in basement for 5 years. clod worth updating but dont bother with a 10........things have just changed so much even cheap kits will smoke it. got scorpion fully pimped and a slash on the way. i shoulda never started this again! and yes you can crab walk a scorpion with the right remote. mines a futaba 3channel i can 2ws, 4ws and crab with the flick of a switch. it was like only 120ish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.