The Crash Clan - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
The Crash Clan

Ok so over the past many months of me and my boy competing, going on vacation and taking the lil rigs with and just plain going out and having fun... My lil girl asked if she could get in on the action too. Well being as how I love to spend time with the kids out having fun---how could I resist...

So since both mine and kyles rigs are TLT based--it only made sense to do the 3rd the same...

So for the last couple of weeks I have been collecting parts and will poke my way thru how I am going to do it. But basicaly I will be building myself a new rig and passing parts down to kyle and katelyn which makes sense because I am the hardest on parts...

But in any case here is how mine and kyles rigs look today.....

So instead of updating mine and kyles build threads I figured I would just make one thread.....

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so for a while I will be kinda bouncing around--not totaly centering on one rig since there will be a shuffle of parts from one to another..

So I decided to rip the axles out of kyles rig. At this point I tore both of them down to inspect all the parts, ended up replacing 4 bearings and one bent stub shaft on the front....

These axles will be going under katelyns rig along with the steering servo..

SO at this point I gave kyles rig a good look over---3 of the 4 locations for the lower links are bent. Kyle absolutly wants to keep the chassis so I will tear it completely down and straighten the side plates.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So as like mine and kyles rigs--both were built from exhisting rigs. Well since I have pretty much figured out this game--I am going to build the axles from scatch--picking and choosing what parts I want--so there is no waist ( example buying a tlt-1 for the axles).

So for starters I got a couple housings(plus a few more just so I have em)

I am going to run MIP CVD's front and rear---I am tired of bending my rear straight axles plus I have been really impressed with the ones I had in the front.

I went with RCP's rear lockouts due to the fact they are round--less to hang up. MSD also makes a nice lockout that are round on the bottom and square on the top---but RCP had them cheaper and basicly the same thing..

And of course--and true TLT guy has to run the TLT link mounts...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So I got all eager beaver and tore kyle's chassis apart--and boy the side plates were bent up..

So I went out into the shop and progressed to beat on them with my deadblow--and thats when I relized why they are bent---dang the material is really soft--I could bend them into a U shape with no problem.. But I continued to work with them and filed them down to pretty damn close..

If they bend again kyle will be getting a new chassis..

So I got all the oil from the R2 dig unit(constantly giving the unit a shot of tri-flow) off the chassis and re-assembled it---so its now ready to start a few upgrades and final assembly..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so bouncing to my rig---I sat there for a while using my old chassis, looking and measureing and finally clicked...

So I cut some material for the chassis plates

The chassis is going to resemble the current one---only its going to have a shorter belly (same width) which is something I wanted to achieve.. I am also redefining some portions of it---to lighten it up a bit....

Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So after running the R2 for the better part of the season and doing alot of reading. I opted to go with something else (Katelyn will get the R2 with my old chassis)

So I went and got an Axial tranny and DNA dig..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So here is the R2 next to the new setup...

So here is the R2 next to the new setup...

The widths are pretty close to the same--you can lop off a lil bit off the motor plate on the Axial to get it a tad narrower.

But you can see the Axial/DNA is shorter than the R2 which will allow me to have a shorter belly.

Another great aspect of the Axial/DNA is its a 1/4 turn engagement with the cogs a better design than the R2 (and the R2 is 1/2 turn engagement)

And one more thing is the shift setup in the Axial/DNA is a better design..

So for those who are contiplating what tranny/dig to run--take that for what its worth

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Well work was a lil slow today--so I came prepaired with my neat lil tool I use for cutting alum. and started in on the new chassis plates..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok I am putting along on the chassis. I finally got it really roughed in..

The chassis is TLT width. I am not sure what I will use for spreaders--as I had to rob the ones off my old rig to set it up. But I will probably end up making them.

Got the skip plate made and mounted--and then mounted the new rod ends so I can set the tranny/dig into the chassis.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok I poked away at it again today--making great progress (faster than I thought).

But in any case I was able to get the trans/dig/motor set into the rig right where I wanted to and its a nice tight fit....

Oh ya--very snug fit. I am going to shave a hair more off the chassis to help with any deflection that might come from the spur gear...

I used 3mm countersunk screws to hold it to the skid plate and they sit just below the skid plate..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok I had to also make a rear axle link mount..

Here is what I had on my other rig, and what both kyle and katelyn will be running....

And here is the one I just made---redefined and lighter..

Ok so now the next thing I will have to figure out--is the axle placement. My old rig ran a 60/40 split but I had to run a very long rear driveshaft. But that limited me to what shafts I could run--and this time I really wanna run a MIP shaft--so the shaft lengths will play a role in axle placement. So once I get that figured out I can start making rear links...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so things have been slow due to the weather/loosing power/water lines freezing and breaking..

Ok so it was time to start getting the links done...

In the past I have used 1/4" alum. either center drilling/tapping or tubing with all thread thru them.

This time I wanted to try something different. I had always played with the idea of using piano wire- Its very strong, very smooth and you can thread the ends..

So I chose to go with 5/32 and thread it to 8-32. Now this seemed easy enough--but it was a learning curve to figure out how to easily do it..

So the trick I found was to heat the ends glowing to soften up only the portion that sits inside the rod end. Then wrapped it in tape and thru it into the vice..

With this build I am running a different rod end..

My prior rig (and the kids will still run them) I ran traxxas rod ends

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXJJ81&P=K

Over the course of a season I broke at least 8 of them--the reason I am going with something else. And also these ends are for 6-32 so they were too small anyways.

So I opted for these.

These are the traxxas large revo rod ends

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXHGB7&P=K

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So its time to lay some rod lol

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So here is how it sits with the rear links done..

I ended up changing the rear upper link mount setup and made a new mount after playing around with a couple different configurations..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So I got the front lowers roughed in(aprox 1/8" too long still). But here is where the tricky part comes.

I went and took the plunge and going with lipo's on my rig. Finally got these in from holmes hobbies. So now I will have to figure out how to get the lipo and steering servo to fit on the front diff then I can do the upper.

After alot of reading/research I opted for this charger..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so I looked at a few different configurations on the lipo battery mount.

But after alot of measuring and looking here is what I came up with.

Threw a servo on and the lipo. I have a few different ideas for how to mount the lipo---using velcro of some kind....

But here is where mine gets pushed aside since I am awaiting the final parts for mine--and I have everything for kyles and katelyns rigs.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so early this morning I started on katelyns..

First thing I did was totaly strip the chassis--filed and sanded it smooth again..

So once it was cleaned up I assembed a portion of it to set the links up. Prior I had done a 60/40 split and a compression suspension. One thing I had noticed was the issue of having to do a custom rear driveshaft (nothing made is long enough) and the fact when you would belly out you had no droop to let the tires grab traction.

Once I got the links done I went and tore the chassis down again to modify it some more--as I am going a different route with the shocks..

But here it is finally sitting on its own with a simular setup I will also be running on mine. I will have to work with the shocks to get them right (change the valving again) but the front has some droop and the rear not as much... Should work like a charm once dialed in..

And here is where katelyn was jumping with joy--time to do the body..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so at this point I went and tore down my old diffs to inspect them and get them ready for kyles rig--since his was going to be the simpler of the 3 rigs to do (little changes).

So his is now ready

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So the links on kyles rig are not changing except they are getting plastic covers on them that he won at one of the past comps and a new rear upper link mount (the one I origionally made for mine).

Another thing is his dig servo mount will be redone (was plastic with too much deflection) and made out of alum along with the arm for it.

I am also changing his from side body mounts to top verticle mounts..

So after working on it today I was actally able to get his assembled and dialed in..

I went and changed the arm from the servo over to the dig assembly. Its made from piano wire--and made in such a way tos springy--so the servo arm can swing a long distance and really load the unit up--you can hear it snap good in and out...

Another pic...

So I went and fitted the body on and cut some new holes.. So now its ready to strip and re-paint...

So the only think left on his besides the body--is to see what I have to increase the width in the rear. The spacers that were on his are on katelyn's rig right now. The MSD wheels have a TON of offset to them(one aspect I have never liked)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So then I went and hopped back over onto katelyn's rig (since I am still waiting for one more package to arive for my rig)..

So after some thinking I went and changed her rear shocks. When I did hers I went against a theory I have pretty much set in my brain on the rear setup--and just didn't like what I had done. So I went and changed it back to how I liked it. I also went with a single rear body mount...

So next I will finish up cutting on her body and get it ready for paint. Then I will get her dig done along with the electronics...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Ok so back at it..

I got her dig all setup. Its done in the very same manner as kyles--and you can hear it "clack" when engaging and dissengaging...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
4" penis

Member # 2931
can you use these parts? theyre left over tlt stuff i have???
Attached Images

1997 fatgirl80: fox coilovers front, slee coils and fox smooth bodies rear. Kmc enduros and 37 iroks. 5.29s and ARBs...
Booger Weldz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Next step----finish off the electronics. This time I decided to try something different from what I have done in the past. So I took some lexan and made mounts for the ESC and the reciever which worked like a champ.

So ran some wires--and I ended up shortening the wires from the ESC to the motor because the length was getting in the way..

And there it sits all done (besides the body). Took it around the shop for a test and works like it should. The only adjustments I have to make on both kids is to setup the EPA's for the steering...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So--time to get back into mine and good timing--as I got the last couple needed parts today (well still no wheels yet)....

So since RCP doesn't have there bling ring/pinions in stock yet--and they have no idea when they will get them. I decided to run stockers so there is the pile of diff parts,lol...

And this was my first time really paying attention to shimming the diff to what I believe to be correctly--time will tell on that...

So I pulled the diffs off and tore them down. The rear was easy as all it needed was the ring and pinion. The front needed the housing modified for the new fatrock stainless inner C's. I also got the steering done so both axles are ready to toss back under the rig and continue onward..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz View Post
can you use these parts? theyre left over tlt stuff i have???
Paul--you need a new camera

Look like stock tlt parts. Na--I have a rather large stack of those items