Help me pick a crawler, NEWB! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Radio Controlled Cars
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 122689
Help me pick a crawler, NEWB!

I am looking to make the leap into the RC world. I have a couple of friends who bought a couple Axial AX10's (I think). I want to get something that can have a cherokee body on it or some other actual vehicle body. I won't be doing any hardcore stuff now, I have a a fullsize XJ and I would like to have a mini. I found 1/18th scale but it looks really small, I was thinking like 1/10 I guess. Thanks for any help.
Zattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52488
Get the Scorpion ARTR. and go from there. you can put on other bodies. It just takes a little creativity on how to mount them.
87 YJ, 4:56s 1tons, 383/350, 205 T-case. "If you don't want it broke it, DON'T Let me drive it"!!!
Krazy Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 122206
how much you looking to spend and where you located cause im looking to sell mine
95yotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2119
I agree you need to find an ax-10 kit truck or artr kit, not the rtr with plastic links and steering. You will end up replacing all the expensive stuff on it like the esc, motor, and servo. I actually would look on e-bay for used ones or there are a couple on here that are great deals. $400 for a runner is a steal compared to buying everything new. Try craigslist too. Once you get one there isnt much to them. they are fun.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
I got the axial ready to run kit 3 months ago and I love it! Its stock minus super soft springs, bent links, and an 47 turn motor. it wheels great and the aftermarket is awesome. It was the same price as the almost ready to run kit and you can swap all the stuff it has and save money.

I paid 239.00 for the truck and radio
50.00 for the charger
40.00 for the battery
50.00 for the bent lnks and hardwear
and 40.00 for the motor
Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 122689
I have been reading/looking at these things all day long and have gained a little more knowledge. Can anyone tell me where to find other bodies at all? My buddy is wanting the silverado body on his, there is one on youtube that he likes.

I am located in Corbin, KY. I don't really know how much I want to spend yet. I guess around 300 or so. Like I said, I have never messed with rc anything and want to see if I will really like. I know I will enjoy it but it all depends on how much I get to play with it. What do you have? You can PM me the details. Thanks
Zattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zattack View Post
I have been reading/looking at these things all day long and have gained a little more knowledge. Can anyone tell me where to find other bodies at all? My buddy is wanting the silverado body on his, there is one on youtube that he likes.

I am located in Corbin, KY. I don't really know how much I want to spend yet. I guess around 300 or so. Like I said, I have never messed with rc anything and want to see if I will really like. I know I will enjoy it but it all depends on how much I get to play with it. What do you have? You can PM me the details. Thanks
www.tscrawlers.com www.ckrccrawlers.com www.rcpcrawlers.com here are the 3 places I usually check for part. the first one hass pretty good prices, and I think the ckrc one is affiliated with pirate4x4 and gives a break on shipping if you enter a sale code from a thread somewhere on this site. check them out first.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 133478
new to the site but not to rcrc.
if you plan to really run this, get the artr. it's just plain better, use tekin fxr for your esr and get a real transmitter/radio, not AM/FM but 2.4, i suggest the Spektrum. It's just better.
the artr is great for many reasons. you can change so much about it and at the end of the day, have it your way. www.amainhobbies.com has the tekin and Spetrum. if you don't want to go full blown with front dig (extra tranny parts, servo to unlock or brake just the rears, and a 3 channel radio system) you'll probably keep your cost down. hope this helps.

the tekin is super small, has tons of great features like their ability to change setting with a button and beats anything novak could offer. it's the size of 50cent peice and 3/8 tall so it fits anywhere. the tx/rx from spetrum offers a ton too of options too. nice stuff.

i do suggest taller times, and keeping your belly clearance around 2.75".

are you planning to compete with a local RCRC club?

Last edited by minor-threat; 04-07-2009 at 09:25 AM.
minor-threat is offline   Reply With Quote