I need advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Rally Racing
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Send a message via AIM to purecountry Send a message via Yahoo to purecountry
I need advice

Don't really know where to put this, so rally seems as good as anywhere. I have a San Diego Gymkhana event on sunday, any tips on driving or anything else? Its basically just a drift/autocross course, a lot is practice and fun. A lot of people have said keep the RPM up, anything else?

[QUOTE=SilverZuk;10606373]My wife doesn't go out, but if she did I would piss on her and kick dirt all over her before she left.
[/QUOTE]
purecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Are you in a automatic or a manual car? Manual is Far better for a gymkahana event as you have more control over torque.

Really, all you need is a decent amount of HP, and an e-brake that can lock up your tires. The rest is practice and experience. Go out there to have fun and see just what your cars limits are. When will it slide? How does it pivot on a J turn? How late can I brake before it locks up the tires?
Stuff like this if what you will get to know like second nature before you can really start getting pro at gymkahana
Old 12-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
Are you in a automatic or a manual car? Manual is Far better for a gymkahana event as you have more control over torque.

Really, all you need is a decent amount of HP, and an e-brake that can lock up your tires. The rest is practice and experience. Go out there to have fun and see just what your cars limits are. When will it slide? How does it pivot on a J turn? How late can I brake before it locks up the tires?
Stuff like this if what you will get to know like second nature before you can really start getting pro at gymkahana
Manual 04 WRX. I'm not really trying to be a pro, just looking for any tips that might make it a better time. Thanks for all the advice

[QUOTE=SilverZuk;10606373]My wife doesn't go out, but if she did I would piss on her and kick dirt all over her before she left.
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Ahhh. WRX. Now your talking my language. First: In a wrx, when you pull on the e-brake you must disengage the clutch. Do this every time or you WILL burn up your center diff. You have to remove the engine power from the transmission and allow it to spin freely when you do the e-brake turn or else locking up the rear tires will directly affect the front as well. With the clutch in, the center diff can freely split the torque only to the front wheels.

Second: AWD cars will understeer *front end pushing* if pushed too hard. Now, you can tune this out so the car has more oversteer *tail out* with some simple upgrades. In Gym. you want oversteer. Its what allows you to slide the cars ass end around, while using the fwd portion to pull it back into line.
To do this, swap in some WhiteLine sway-bars and a good set of adjustable coilovers. I used EnduraTech coilovers in my rally car for tarmac events. They wont kill your budget and are fully adjustable.
Set the front swaybar to its medium setting and the front dampeners to about 4 on compression.
Set the rear swaybar to its stiffest setting and the dampeners to 10. This will bring the WRX to a nice Predictable and Controllable oversteer.

If your running stock suspension, then you will find that a tap on the brakes will shift the weight of the car forward just enough to allow for a steering wheel flick and the car should rotate.

Stay in your boost range as much a possible. 3k to 5k. Left foot braking is your friend here. Pull the fuse to your ABS as it will only f'ck you up. When you need to slow down for a sweeping corner *ie one that wont require down shifting*, keep your foot on the throttle at the same time as hitting the brakes with your left foot. You will slow down, but your boost will stay up. Yea, you might have to replace your brake pads sooner than later with this technique.

The rest, well.. Youll learn as you go along. Have FUN out there!!

SMC
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Quote:
Ahhh. WRX. Now your talking my language. First: In a wrx, when you pull on the e-brake you must disengage the clutch. Do this every time or you WILL burn up your center diff. You have to remove the engine power from the transmission and allow it to spin freely when you do the e-brake turn or else locking up the rear tires will directly affect the front as well. With the clutch in, the center diff can freely split the torque only to the front wheels.
Yeah I knew this from reading, and knowing the basics of the WRX center diff. Really wish I had a DCCD.
Second: AWD cars will understeer *front end pushing* if pushed too hard. Now, you can tune this out so the car has more oversteer *tail out* with some simple upgrades. In Gym. you want oversteer. Its what allows you to slide the cars ass end around, while using the fwd portion to pull it back into line.
To do this, swap in some WhiteLine sway-bars and a good set of adjustable coilovers. I used EnduraTech coilovers in my rally car for tarmac events. They wont kill your budget and are fully adjustable.
Set the front swaybar to its medium setting and the front dampeners to about 4 on compression.
Set the rear swaybar to its stiffest setting and the dampeners to 10. This will bring the WRX to a nice Predictable and Controllable oversteer.

If your running stock suspension, then you will find that a tap on the brakes will shift the weight of the car forward just enough to allow for a steering wheel flick and the car should rotate.

I have big Whiteline sways, and kartboy end links on my to do list. Right now coilovers are out of budget, so I'm running stock struts with Tein drop springs. I managed to flick the car into some oversteer 4 wd drifts yesterday, quite easily in the rain, and used the ebrake alot, trying to learn to perfect 180 rotations around obstacles as closley as possible.

Stay in your boost range as much a possible. 3k to 5k. Left foot braking is your friend here. Pull the fuse to your ABS as it will only f'ck you up. Forgot to do this When you need to slow down for a sweeping corner *ie one that wont require down shifting*, keep your foot on the throttle at the same time as hitting the brakes with your left foot. You will slow down, but your boost will stay up. Yea, you might have to replace your brake pads sooner than later with this technique. Everything ended up being small first and second gear high rpm shift in parking lots at the drag strip.

The rest, well.. Youll learn as you go along. Have FUN out there!!

That was the most fun i have ever had in a car. I can't wait for the next one.

SMC
I won the barrel racing, and came in 4th in the Gymkhana course. Most fun I have ever had in car, and can't wait to do it again.

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941

Glad you had a great time!

If your going to stick to pavement events, look into getting a Tarmac specific center diff. These put more power to the rear wheels and are not all that expensive.

Keep it up! Im glad that there is one more WRX driver out there who's doing what they should be. Beating their soobie at the track! Not just putting to the store
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Quote:

Glad you had a great time!

If your going to stick to pavement events, look into getting a Tarmac specific center diff. These put more power to the rear wheels and are not all that expensive.

Keep it up! Im glad that there is one more WRX driver out there who's doing what they should be. Beating their soobie at the track! Not just putting to the store
Link to one of these diffs? I was gonna pull the half shafts and weld up a stock center for a RWD Subie

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
http://www.nengun.com/cusco/tarmac-gear-center-diff

You can find them used or on e-bay in the $600 range
Old 12-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by purecountry View Post
I was gonna pull the half shafts and weld up a stock center for a RWD Subie
Go for it Soobies make great drift cars. They are a little nose heavy, but that works in your favor if you want to get the rear loose. Though you may want to swap in a stronger rear diff. if your converting to rwd. Even the R180 can spit out its carrier with enough abuse. Look into a long nose R200. Do a google search and youll see what I mean.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 116277
Quote:
Go for it Soobies make great drift cars. They are a little nose heavy, but that works in your favor if you want to get the rear loose. Though you may want to swap in a stronger rear diff. if your converting to rwd. Even the R180 can spit out its carrier with enough abuse. Look into a long nose R200. Do a google search and youll see what I mean.
I already bought one in preparation lmao. Also got custom made half shafts on the way for it.

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by purecountry View Post
I already bought one in preparation lmao. Also got custom made half shafts on the way for it.

Damn, your a man with a plan! I know what direction your headin. Liquid tires on demand!

Check out NASOIC for details on how to get better turning angles out of the front. With out the stub shafts installed, you can get a much better turning radius. Just takes a little work.

Dont let too many people give you shit about converting to RWD.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
MultiTasKing

Member # 165307
Wow!

SMC,

THAT WAS GREAT ADVICE. YOU SHOULD START A RALLY OLD SCHOOL. SOME OF THE BEST ADVICE WE HAVE SEEN IN ANY RALLY FORUM!

YOU SHOULD BE RACING WRC!!!

PMD YOU! WILL YOU BE AT KOH?

Last edited by WorldRallyTeam; 12-21-2010 at 11:24 PM.
WorldRallyTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
MultiTasKing

Member # 165307
Thumbs up Original Gymkhana Footage

Cool video about the Original Gymkhana Footage (CLIMB DANCE) at Pikes Peak with Legend Rally Driver
ARI VATANEN
YouTube - Re: Ken Block Gymkhana Practice

Last edited by WorldRallyTeam; 12-21-2010 at 11:41 PM.
WorldRallyTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 117451
It's all about RPM's, throttle, and brakes... If u keep ur boost up, Itll keep ur tires spinning. I've noticed that my brakes helped me more than my e brake too. Keeps ur weight shifting... Subies r the way to go, but a subie in dirt is pure awesome. Good luck with ur comp
jbarbier4 is offline   Reply With Quote