Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Rubicon Trail (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/29-rubicon-trail/)
-   -   Another Ham Class! (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rubicon-trail/1022151-another-ham-class.html)

Curly 01-21-2012 06:21 PM

Thanks to Barb and John for putting on the class today. My boys found it interesting and enjoyable. More importantly they seem pretty confident going into the test. Thanks again for a great program and your hard work, see you in a couple of weeks.
Tim.

Mrs. Maniac 01-21-2012 08:58 PM

they'll pass. I was in the first class, first one done with the test, and Barb would have to confirm but I think I got 100%. And I'm not a boy with half that info in my head anyway. Barb makes it all make sense.

sludge puppy 01-21-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Maniac (Post 13900131)
And I'm not a boy with half that info in my head anyway. Barb makes it all make sense.

I think this part makes the test easier. Less to unlearn :)

I could not believe how many people were there today. Barb has a great teaching style. Will be fun to see everyone on the 4th after they get their tickets.

upinit 01-22-2012 09:34 AM

Thank you again for taking the time out of both of your busy schedules to teach us! People again need to realize that you both are volunteers! It was greatly appreciated. I am inspired to get more involved with various programs in the future. You guys are a great example. Thank you again for a great class on an efficient, condensed platform.

n6boa 01-22-2012 10:20 AM

It was awesome to see so many potential new hams! Dennis is really smiling now! Typically John and I offer two classes a year but last year we managed only one (we were really busy in the Fall). But given the size of this last class and the fact we had to turn people away, we might offer another this Fall. I look forward to seeing all of you on the 4th, the final step in obtaining your callsigns! :D

burtv 01-23-2012 11:50 PM

Do you have an email list you can notify interested people when you do another class.

I just missed this class by a few days and I am sure it will happen again, yes I have that kind of luck.:D

Thanks

resqme 01-24-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burtv (Post 13910615)
Do you have an email list you can notify interested people when you do another class.

You bet. Email me at John.Arenz@RubiconTrailFoundation.org and I'll put you on the list.

Curly 02-04-2012 06:19 AM

Good luck to all the peeps taking their test this morning:) You'll do great and we'll have another 60 something hams out on the trails. Thanks again to Barb and John for making this happen. Dennis is smiling:D

atvobsession 02-04-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 13964562)
Good luck to all the peeps taking their test this morning:) You'll do great and we'll have another 60 something hams out on the trails. Thanks again to Barb and John for making this happen. Dennis is smiling:D

Big time.

atvobsession 02-04-2012 08:59 AM

If you had told me 6-7 years ago, that there would literally be what? 300+ new people with Ham licenses on the trail, I would have laughed.

fermentor 02-04-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 13964562)

Dennis probably has wood:D. A whole bunch of new hamsters, a General upgrade, Extra upgrade and one hat-trick Extra - Tech to General to Extra.

Took three classrooms to pull it off. Barb put in a couple of miles "commuting" between rooms and John was still passing out radios when I left.

Damn good use of a Saturday while waiting for Winter:grinpimp:

71BRONCO71 02-04-2012 04:40 PM

Thank you everyone for doing this. The WAM BAM HAM CRAM really works!

now I have to stalk the FCC website for my call.

sludge puppy 02-04-2012 04:51 PM

Ryan, glad you finally got your ticket :) Congrats to everyone. I believe it was almost 60 new ham's added to the family after today. I love seeing it. We had a blast today, just got home and exhausted, time for a nap! Thanks to Barb and John for putting it on, and all the VE's for helping make it happen.

James
NW1T

n6boa 02-04-2012 05:21 PM

There were 62 new hams today. This brings the total to well over 400. I want to thank my awesome VE team because if not for them, none of this would be possible to the extent that they make it happen.

To see if you have a license, click here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Type your last name first, then a comma, then your first name - as it appeared on your application. I suspect Friday will be the earliest for the new calls!

Great job everyone!:D:D

steveh 02-04-2012 07:31 PM

Excellent job for sure! A huge thank you to all the dedicated volunteers for getting us licensed!
Steveh "WBHC" grad 2012 :flipoff2:

ROCK HUGGER 02-05-2012 12:11 PM

Thank you Barb, John, your VE team, and can't forget Dennis for all the time and effort you guys have donated to help us get our Licenses. Barb My son and I really enjoyed your class, we didn't think sitting in class for eight hours would be as fun as it was, you do a great job.

R290 02-05-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sludge puppy (Post 13966360)
Ryan, glad you finally got your ticket :) Congrats to everyone. I believe it was almost 60 new ham's added to the family after today. I love seeing it. We had a blast today, just got home and exhausted, time for a nap! Thanks to Barb and John for putting it on, and all the VE's for helping make it happen.

James
NW1T

Nice to meet up and work with you, it was a busy time for sure. I had writers cramp after grading a huge pile of exams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n6boa (Post 13966455)
There were 62 new hams today. This brings the total to well over 400. I want to thank my awesome VE team because if not for them, none of this would be possible to the extent that they make it happen.

Great job everyone!:D:D

WOW 62 that's awesome. I knew there were a lot, but did not know we broke the 60 mark. :smokin::smokin:

You put on an assume class! I was very surprised at how few questions most of the testers missed.

Congrats to all.

resqme 02-05-2012 01:07 PM

We had a great time, and we too were exhausted when we got home. Barb got right on organizing the paperwork and getting it ready to ship on Monday, and I recharged by doing some much needed repair and maintenance on Barb's HF antenna.

Awesome class, great turnout, and great people. Got to see some old friends and meet new ones. Look forward to seeing you all on the trail!

John

Sluice Sally 02-06-2012 08:17 AM

Wow! Congrats to all the new HAM's!! Look forward to chatting on the trail!!

Dennis would be so proud:)

Rubicrawler 02-06-2012 09:19 AM

Congratulations to all the new Hams! I look forward to hearing you on the air.

KI6TMK monitoring :smokin:

bsdboy 02-06-2012 11:07 AM

Congrats to all the new hams. :smokin:

Did I read there was a hat trick? Nice going! :grinpimp:

resqme 02-06-2012 05:21 PM

Love your new call...awesome.

Yup, you're not the only one, we now have a second. Guy who had extensive radio background, and ran right through all three.

Curly 02-06-2012 06:27 PM

W6FU....That is awesome. Thought it was a joke till I looked it up. Awesome and I love the Johnny Pic:smokin:

bsdboy 02-07-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqme (Post 13974023)
Love your new call...awesome.

Yup, you're not the only one, we now have a second. Guy who had extensive radio background, and ran right through all three.

That's some good stuff. Hope there will be plenty more!

By the way, my VE badge FINALLY came in last week so if you want to add me to the list I'm available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 13974311)
W6FU....That is awesome. Thought it was a joke till I looked it up. Awesome and I love the Johnny Pic:smokin:

I'd like to say that I planned it all out, but those 1x2's are freaking difficult to get. Honestly it was just luck of the draw. I'm more than satisfied with it though. :flipoff2:

R290 02-07-2012 09:07 AM

W6FU That will be easy to remember. :smokin:

Note for future hams

You can register with the FCC using a secure site to get an FRN number.

When taking an exam you need to write down either your SS number or FRN.
number.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home

I just thought I would put that out there for those that want to take the test in the future.