Trail Conditions 2012, look at first entry for updated conditions! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Trail Conditions 2012, look at first entry for updated conditions!

Currently, updated December 29th, 2012, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: Lots of new snow, very powdery, three to five feet of it. Until it settles, this will make for very difficult travel, don't expect to make a specific destination! Expect to use your winch. A lot. Being cold at night, ice may be a traction issue. Remember, bring at least 200' of cable and extension!

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon. No specific update as no one has gone too much past Airport Flats to my knowledge.

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon.

This time of year, well built and maintained rigs with larger tires, winches, lots of extrication equipment (xtra straps and cable, clevis, snatch block, etc.), communications (ham or satellite) and lockers should be your plan if you want to wheel in the high country from now until spring. Expect overnight temps in the 20's or lower, come prepared with good gear and extra clothing. Remember there are very few folks on the trail this time of year...you have to be able to help yourself!

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

Fire restrictions lifted, so fire permits are no longer necessary

Hope this helps.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.

Last edited by resqme; 12-29-2012 at 12:51 PM.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 151083
was up all day yesterday trail was awesome lots of icy spots in the morning same goes for the main road drive slow! could not believe how frozen spider lake was so awesome was a nice warm day made it to spider pretty easy

my co pilot for the day

as soon as that sun dropped it got dam cold if you look close theres a helicopter in the sky kept circling around us headin out then went towards the bottom of the dam and was saying something to someone on the loud speaker then flew off not sure if it was police or life flight
3rdgenerationjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 90749
Helicopter

Helicopter was CHP assisting on a SAR, looking for 2 subjects who left from Uncle Toms Cabin the day before. They have temporarily parked their vehicle and walked out. Thanx Ray Pledger for the assist.
lawman090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 151083
ya i know what guys you were talking about they were stuck at spider broke a drag link we helped weld it up for them then saw them further down broke again said they were hiking out but they said they had came from uncle toms cabin the night before, they seemed questionable what was going on if you dont mind me asking
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 183066
http://edcapps.edcgov.us/sheriff/rec...g/01022012.pdf

Log just says missing persons
Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenerationjeeper View Post
ya i know what guys you were talking about they were stuck at spider broke a drag link we helped weld it up for them then saw them further down broke again said they were hiking out but they said they had came from uncle toms cabin the night before, they seemed questionable what was going on if you dont mind me asking
Good learning experience...this time of year is unforgiving. Cold, few people out wheeling to help, and it could snow a bunch at any time.

Communications, leave an itenrary with someone at home, have a backup plan. Just sayin'.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 187010
I am guessing this was the two in the jeep that were missing? Is that the vehicle you did the tie rod repair on. My buddies thankfully ran into them on the way out and spent till 2 am pulling that jeep out. They had no food water, etc. Talk about scary
sludge puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 151083
no the guys we helped were in a ford f150 teal in color mid 90s. ya thats why i never wheel alone and no matter how fare i am or how long i plan on going my 4runner is stacked with everything i need been wheeling rubicon trail with my dad since 1995 dad didnt raise no fool what kind of jeep was it? what color only jeeps i saw was the wagioneer on the pic above and a black cj i believe, all my group made it out home safe. the two guys we helped last i saw them was spider lake at about 3pm sunday two skinny white dudes all tattooed up said they had wheeled in saturday night came in from uncle toms
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 187010
Stock YJ, I think white. two mid 20s males, from what the gang told me they were out there 2 days, with zero for any planning. No food water, camping gear etc ,and stock open yj.... Definitely lucky to have made it out, especially this time of year. I guess they live close to the trail head and had no intentions on going that far in.

John ran into my friends (3 JK's) before things went bad for them. 3 blown beads, broken front driver axle (44), busted air line for lockers. So one jeep ended up basically hauling 3 of them out. They hit the trail head at 7am, got off just before 2am. Long day.

Last edited by sludge puppy; 01-04-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Communications, leave an itinerary with someone at home, have a backup plan. Just sayin'.
Good idea for sure. I got a ham radio setup at home now too, so when it's midnight and I'm not back from snow wheeling the wife does not have to worry.

Most pack enough camping supplies, but sound like some are just not thinking.
Hell raid the kitchen for some can goods, if you don't use them, put'em back
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
CJ
Rock God

Member # 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
I got a ham radio setup at home now too, so when it's midnight and I'm not back from snow wheeling the wife does not have to worry.
:
If you get an EchoLink Account you can live out of range of the repeater and still talk on the trail.

81 CJ7
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
If you get an EchoLink Account you can live out of range of the repeater and still talk on the trail.
as long as you have internet at home the next street over just got cable and acall sign i have 805 on a scanner going 24/7

Last edited by foxeod; 01-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.
foxeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
Good idea for sure. I got a ham radio setup at home now too, so when it's midnight and I'm not back from snow wheeling the wife does not have to worry.

Most pack enough camping supplies, but sound like some are just not thinking.
Hell raid the kitchen for some can goods, if you don't use them, put'em back
Remember to always bring a friend and a fork!!

Had to roll that one out again
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
Racer Jack tm
Almar Mfg 530-333-2496

Find us on Facebook
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 187010
Quote:
My buddies were trying to figure out how I was talking to them from Oakland on the 805... I said um my IPAD New technology, talking to the old. Gotta love it. Echolink is pretty cool.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 151083
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludge puppy View Post
Stock YJ, I think white. two mid 20s males, from what the gang told me they were out there 2 days, with zero for any planning. No food water, camping gear etc ,and stock open yj.... Definitely lucky to have made it out, especially this time of year. I guess they live close to the trail head and had no intentions on going that far in.

John ran into my friends (3 JK's) before things went bad for them. 3 blown beads, broken front driver axle (44), busted air line for lockers. So one jeep ended up basically hauling 3 of them out. They hit the trail head at 7am, got off just before 2am. Long day.
never saw a stock yj broken down nor did we see any jks dont think thats who chp was doing the SAR for chp flew over us about 6:30pm sunday and used the PA to people at the bottom of the dam at about 6:30 the guys in the ford said they left uncle toms cabin night before just kept going till they broke at spider. Were where your buddys stuck and broke we arrived at loon around 8:15am sunday and went into spider didnt leave spider till about 3pm then wheeled out back to loon never saw a stock yj or any jks, would of glady lend a hand if we did see them our group is the kind of people to always help and were always packed and prepared with extra parts welders tools food and drinks, going unprepared and in january words cant describe how stupid that is, we all learn some how though
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
CJ
Rock God

Member # 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludge puppy View Post
My buddies were trying to figure out how I was talking to them from Oakland on the 805... I said um my IPAD New technology, talking to the old. Gotta love it. Echolink is pretty cool.
I was at home just across the Bay from you showing a friend how Echolink works and when I logged on John came up on the air and says "Matt is that you" little did I know EchoLink broadcasts your call sign when you log on.

81 CJ7
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 187010
Quote:
I was at home just across the Bay from you showing a friend how Echolink works and when I logged on John came up on the air and says "Matt is that you" little did I know EchoLink broadcasts your call sign when you log on.
ha, lesson learned Guess it worked right.

I wonder how much clear weather we have left. I want to get back up there soon.

Last edited by sludge puppy; 01-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Played around on the WWS side and there was some serious ice patches, multiple ones in blind corners sent me into some rocks. GO SLOW the white stuff may look like icey snow but from what we ran into it was hard slick ice
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
Played around on the WWS side and there was some serious ice patches, multiple ones in blind corners sent me into some rocks. GO SLOW the white stuff may look like icey snow but from what we ran into it was hard slick ice
With conditions as they have been you can count that if it looks like snow its solid ice. But the ice has been melting off some as each day has been above freezing
Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeod View Post
But the ice has been melting off some as each day has been above freezing
Not at 9.30am Saturday morning pal

Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
KingofBling Racing

Member # 36782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post

Hey Curly you got a low tire!!!
Formula Toy #024 has a few scratches!!!
WRANGLER BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRANGLER BOB View Post
Hey Curly you got a low tire!!!
Stupid car!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post

Didn't know I needed to be so specific butt munch

Last edited by foxeod; 01-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
yea, things didn't seem to be melting but it wasn't an issue

Last edited by Brandon; 01-09-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Exclamation Loon camping

Was at the R.O.C meeting Thursday and it was mentioned all the forest camp grounds are closed tell spring. Normally this time of year it’s not a problem because there under several feet of snow, but being that their not… only a small sign not even 10*11 says closed to camping I saw several people and groups at the camp sites along Loon Lake. And the next afternoon all were out. So just remind everyone the sights are clear of snow but if you are camped there it’s a ticket able a fence. Also it was stated that you cannot camp within 150 yards (450 feet) of a camp ground. So be aware of your surroundings and save yourself the trouble

dont forget new camp fire permits are requierd for 2012

have fun all

Last edited by foxeod; 01-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.