Can someone please give me the name of the judge? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Can someone please give me the name of the judge?

The one that has decided it is in the best interest to destroy the Rubicon in the name of environmentalism. The one that sided with the eco-terrorists.

He is going to have to answer a few questions that I have......
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Prospector

Member # 10770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
The one that has decided it is in the best interest to destroy the Rubicon in the name of environmentalism. The one that sided with the eco-terrorists.

Judge: Lawrence K. Karlton

Public Lands For the People
88bigvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Interesting: Appointed by Carter and went to the same school as obama......

Something fishy here.

Lawrence Karlton

Appointed: July 24, 1979, by President Carter
Date of Birth: May 28, 1935
Law School: Columbia Law School
Previous Judicial Position: Sacramento County Superior Court
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1746
How did THIS case land before him?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1746
http://www.law.com/regionals/ca/judg...ct/karlton.htm

February 2000

By Jason Hoppin

There are few guessing games in Lawrence Karlton's courtroom.

"He doesn't hide the ball," said a former clerk of the Eastern District's chief judge emeritus.

The 64-year-old judge, who will take senior status in May, has been known to start a hearing by telling lawyers where their case stands.

"It's very common for him to start an argument saying, 'Counselor, tell me why I shouldn't rule against you,'" said Sacramento federal public defender Allison Claire.

Claire is quick to add that she's seen Karlton's mind changed on many occasions.

While his opinions are subject to change, there are other areas where Karlton is less flexible. Lawyers who have known him over the years say appearing before Karlton without a firm grasp of a case and the law is putting yourself in harm's way.

"It can be a bracing experience," said Brad Seligman, executive director of The Impact Fund in Albany. Seligman was Karlton's first clerk after the judge took a position on the federal bench in 1979, an appointee of President Jimmy Carter.

Then 44 -- he graduated from Columbia University School of Law at just 23 -- Karlton was part of a swing to the left during the late 1970s in the Eastern District. Just four years after taking the oath he became chief judge, and in 1990 he became the district's first chief judge emeritus.

Karlton has been called liberal. Many of his clerks go on to work in public interest law, and before becoming a judge in the mid-'70s, (he served a four-year stint in Sacramento Superior Court prior to the federal judgeship) Karlton did some pro bono work for the ACLU.

Karlton's rulings over the years bear out his left-leaning credentials. In a 1994 ruling later overturned by the Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, he tried to hold California in contempt for the way the prison system handles mentally ill patients. He issued a restraining order against a state reduction in welfare benefits in 1997. And Karlton twice overturned the death sentence of convicted killer Steven Ainsworth -- first in 1996 (also overturned by the Ninth Circuit) and again last September.

"He must be the illegitimate son of Rose Bird," groused one unnamed prosecutor to The Recorder in December.

Seligman defended his mentor: "Karlton takes criminal cases extremely seriously. . . . He loses sleep over [habeas] cases."

But using past opinions to guess how Karlton might rule may be folly. Last year the judge overturned much of Proposition 208, California's campaign finance reform initiative, which was a liberal cause célèbre.

While the decision was perhaps unexpected, Karlton stayed true to form. His opinion criticized the defense for presenting expert witnesses who were less than helpful to their case.

(The Ninth Circuit has since upheld the ruling, but ordered a retrial on the entire initiative. Karlton has set a summer hearing.)

While even ardent supporters say he can be "demanding," "rigorous," and even "volatile," they add that his dedication to the law is above reproach.

"You can have a kind of give-and-take intellectual argument [in court] that you can't have anywhere else," Seligman said.

Indeed, others said that Karlton is known for publishing detailed, lengthy opinions -- sometimes with biting footnotes.

While Karlton can pummel an unprepared lawyer, a good one quickly earns his admiration.

Longtime friend and former law partner Coleman Blease, now a justice on the Third District Court of Appeal, said Karlton gets excited about good arguments.

"When he sees good lawyers, he really loves them," Blease said.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1746
From wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_K._Karlton

Lawrence K. Karlton (born 1935) is a United States federal judge.
Born in Brooklyn, New York in 1935, Karlton received a J.D. from Columbia Law School in 1958, at the age of 23. He was in the United States Army from 1958 to 1960, and was a Civilian legal officer at the Sacramento Army Depot from 1960 to 1962. He was in private practice in Sacramento, California from 1962 to 1976, and also litigated civil liberties cases as a volunteer lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union. He was appointed by California Governor Jerry Brown as a judge of the Superior Court of California, where he served from 1976 to 1979.
On June 5, 1979, President Jimmy Carter nominated Karlton to a seat vacated by Thomas J. MacBride on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on July 23, 1979, and received his commission on July 24, 1979. He served as Chief Judge from 1983–1990, and as Chief Judge Emeritus until assuming senior status on May 28, 2000. Karlton is known as an outspoken liberal, and many of his clerks go on to work in public interest law.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Judge Lawrence K. Karlton is the Senior District Court Judge, for the U. S. District Court, Eastern District of California. He was nominated by Jimmy Carter. Judge Karlton is an activist federal judge. He routinely rules against corporations and federal and state agencies and for radical environmentalists and secularists.

On September 10th, Judge Karlton ruled that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional. He ruled that the pledge's reference to one nation "under God" violates school children's right to be "free from a coercive requirement to affirm God and is unconstitutional."

The case was brought by Michael Newdow, a pain-in-the-ass atheist who had previously sued to challenge the use of the phrase.

Judge Karlton, based his opinion on a fiction. Karlton said he was bound by precedent to find that recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance with the words “one nation under God” violated the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause. The precedent Karlton cited was the Ninth Circuit Appeals Court’s 2002 decision in the Newdow case. The precedent doesn't exist.

In 2004, the Supreme Court reversed the Ninth Circuit. It determined that since Newdow didn’t have custody of his daughter, he lacked standing to sue in her behalf – a technicality, but one that negated the appeals court ruling.

Earlier this year, on August 10, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in a Virginia case that the Pledge was constitutional. The San Francisco ruling will be appealed to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and if the Pledge is ruled unconstitutional there, the Supreme Court will likely take the case and this time address the merits.

Judge Karlton is one of those federal judges, who have steadily redefined the words “establishment of religion.” The Founding Fathers wrote those words to prevent the establishment of a government sponsored religion. The kind that caused many of them to flee Europe. They did not write those words to mean no recognition of a Creator in the public square.

The Founders were religious men. Their vision of America didn't exclude a nondenominational school prayer, a moment of silence in the classroom, a public display of religious symbols, an invocation at graduation and the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

If Judge Karlton's ruling stands, it would also be an impermissibly coercive religious act for students to read the words, “All men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights” from our Declaration of Independence and students would not be able to recite Lincoln's stirring words, “That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom” from the Gettysburg Address.

John Adams affirmed, “Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people” and James Madison, the author of the First Amendment stated, “Before any man can be considered as a member of civil society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe.”

George Washington observed, “I am sure that never was a people who had more reason to acknowledge a Divine interposition in their affairs, than those of the United States.” While Thomas Jefferson warned of the activist judge, saying “The Constitution is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please.”

Jefferson was describing Judge Lawrence K. Karlton.

TOPICS: Government; Politics; Religion; Society
KEYWORDS: pledge
Note: I found this story in Pravda and I couldn't help but notice the irony. For 70-plus years, the Soviet Union outlawed all religion and forced atheism on its people until the wall fell. Now the people of the former Soviet Union can worship openly.

But here, Judge Lawrence Karlton and his ilk are turning the United States into the old Soviet Union where anything spiritual in the public square is prohibited by law.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 347
All you need to know is this: Ninth Circuit Court.
Individual Robes are different, but the Circuit that selects and retains them... that's always the same. Fix the Circuit, you'll set in motion a fix to the Robes.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:

What are you talking about?
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Judge Karlton hasn't made any decision on the Rubicon.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present
Click Here for a calendar of Rubicon Events
Raceline Wheels and Falken Tires!! Thanks guys for sponsoring the Tacos at this Years Event!!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
How did THIS case land before him?
Bear, which case are you speaking of?
Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
ATV and cjcraig, step away from the keyboard.

K? nuf said. It is getting too personal.
Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
He's 77 years old now....he can' be there much longer...can he?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
bickering?

posts get deleted for "bickering"? It is the fricking internet.

WTF?

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 105691
Send a message via Yahoo to sloyoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post

I am calling BULLSHIT on that Scott.
People have there opinions. I think many are tired of the tip toe PC crap.
People are getting pissed and they have a right to be.

'It's very black and white. It turns grey when you give quarter'
Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 57051
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentor View Post
posts get deleted for "bickering"? It is the fricking internet.

WTF?
x2

01 Dcab Taco Build..Sold 09/10
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156417

Current Rig..87 4Runner with a few mods...
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173617
Black01taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Quote:
Bear, which case are you speaking of?
Scott, I would like to know who is ultimately responsible for what has happened here.
/forum/rubicon-trail/1075572-temporary-closure-wws-road-gerle-bridge-construction.html
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyoter View Post
I am calling BULLSHIT on that Scott.
People have there opinions. I think many are tired of the tip toe PC crap.
People are getting pissed and they have a right to be.

'It's very black and white. It turns grey when you give quarter'
I agree. Time to adjust the rules and let people speak their minds.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1746
Quote:

Too bad I missed the party

I am really curious as to what was "bickered" about.
Guess I'm "protected" from real world feeling's now....
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
He's 77 years old now....he can' be there much longer...can he?
I would say no more the 5 years. That puts you at 82 which is getting up there. You got to think even his grand kids are starting collage by now, maybe even has a few great grand kids.

So the job is all he has left. It might be all he knows. It's not like he has to work. The oldest federal judge Wesley Brown was 104, so never say never.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71888.html

Last edited by R290; 07-20-2012 at 10:05 PM.
R290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Scott, I would like to know who is ultimately responsible for what has happened here.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075572
Dunno abouit the "bickering", I missed the party too, Ryan. But I can answer this question.

There was no judge.

The work at Gerle Creek is occurrring secondary to an order from the Central Valley Water Board (CVRWQB) as part of the Cleanup and Abatement Order. Their power does not come from a judge necessarily, it comes from the EPA via the Porter-Cologne Act. Really, it's my impression the Water Board didn't want to do this at all, but did so under threat of lawsuit from Monte Hendricks, Rich Platt (cross country ski agenda), and Karen Schambach with help from the CBD. The WB has bigger fish to fry, but can't afford a lawsuit.

It is necessary to close the road during the work because it is necessary to rebuild the bridge in the same spot where it originally stood. Why? Because it would have involved extensive environmental work to either move the new bridge or open a second temporary route while the the new bridge is being built. That will NOT be the case at Ellis, where the old route will stay open while the bridge is being built, we think next summer.

Taking off my RTF hat that supports whatever it takes to keep the trail open, the bridge thing is a fat waste of money. I see that it supports the local economy and I'm happy about that, but it could be spent in better ways. I guess it's no dumber than a million dollar deer undercrossing, and we have on of those now too.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 1746
So, if I see this correctly ( and I know, I am late to the party here).....

RMK (is that it, just 3 people?), hate us, they hate that we enjoy our lives and have wholesome hobbys.

Due to this festering hate they have for us (and for no legitimate reason), they try every avenue possible to ruin our hobby/past time.

After many failed attempts, they make up scheme about a water quality and threaten to sue the water board.

Water board cant afford to prove that their accusations are falsified and have no scientific proof, so rather than spending government $ proving the RMK have made up false issues, they mandate a Cleanup and Abatement Order to El Dorado County costing them tons of $.

El Dorado County must now spend hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars to comply with this made up and not proven problem.

Now the World Famous Rubicon Trail has been more or less environmentally destroyed in some areas due to this scheme that RMK has dreamed up.

Is this a correct assessment or am I off on certain issues?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
So, if I see this correctly ( and I know, I am late to the party here).....

RMK (is that it, just 3 people?), hate us, they hate that we enjoy our lives and have wholesome hobbys.

Due to this festering hate they have for us (and for no legitimate reason), they try every avenue possible to ruin our hobby/past time.

After many failed attempts, they make up scheme about a water quality and threaten to sue the water board.

Water board cant afford to prove that their accusations are falsified and have no scientific proof, so rather than spending government $ proving the RMK have made up false issues, they mandate a Cleanup and Abatement Order to El Dorado County costing them tons of $.

El Dorado County must now spend hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars to comply with this made up and not proven problem.

Now the World Famous Rubicon Trail has been more or less environmentally destroyed in some areas due to this scheme that RMK has dreamed up.

Is this a correct assessment or am I off on certain issues?
Ryan, pretty accurate by my account but you missed one VERY important point that I feel a lot of folks do not fully understand. The groups that we speak of, CBD, PEER etc, etc. Make money, lot's of money doing this. This is not about environmental concern! It is about certain folks wanting their own personal snow park (M in RMK) and certain other groups making money all over the country through misleading and un factual lawsuits.

That is all,
Tim.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Ryan, pretty accurate by my account but you missed one VERY important point that I feel a lot of folks do not fully understand. The groups that we speak of, CBD, PEER etc, etc. Make money, lot's of money doing this. This is not about environmental concern! It is about certain folks wanting their own personal snow park (M in RMK) and certain other groups making money all over the country through misleading and un factual lawsuits.

That is all,
Tim.
This right here....................
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5#post14597645

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentor View Post
This right here....................
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5#post14597645
Yeap.....and we as a nation and group should be freaking up in arms about it. I know I am

As a side note I find it almost amusing reading the posts here and there about not divulging our plans and tactics. I get it and respect it about not airing your laundry on a public forum and know that we as a group and our organizations truly all have the same passions and intent but come on, really? You honestly think "they" care what in the hell we are up to and talking about. That would be like assuming "they" actually care about our needs, wants and the environment.

Like it or not, we are dealing with professionals here, they are the elite, crack anti access squad and have been doing this for decades. They have this down to a science. I see the tide turning and I see people waking up to whats really going on and that is fantastic but it's time to stop bending over and handing them the lube. It's time to scream...............Let the people discuss and let the people be mad.

Tim.