Pirate 4x4 banner

Uncle toms cabin run info needed

11K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  MochaMike 
#1 ·
Two of my buddy just got new 4x4. Both stock SUV's, one with all-terrains and one with mud-terrain. Plus there will be at least 3 built rigs( winches, lockers,ect). We wanted to go do a easy snow or light mud run. I was thinking of heading up icehouse road and following the signs to uncle toms cabin. I haven't been there in years. Needed to know how the road is --snowy, muddy? Will the trucks I've mention make it. Has anyone been up there lately. Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
You could go Ice house road and make a left hand turn on Wentworth Springs road but you may be better served to go through Georgetown past Stumpy Meadows and then on to Tom's, Read Straight shot. As for snow, from what I have seen and been hearing you may not see much snow at all. It is raining up there right now and not much left at all.

The top of Hartless Pass (past Tom's) may still have a little snow but my guess would be little to none. Either way have fun and be safe.

Tim.

#5 ·
There's basically no snow left below 6500 feet elevation. Maybe Mormon Emigrant Trail will have some.
Agreed, and I would say closer to 7500'...this was a really warm storm, the snow is gone!

#6 ·
Since it has been years for you, I doubt you'll see mud. The road was paved over Hartless several years ago. You may see a little snow, but it sounds like it is mostly gone now.

Sent from my cool iPad I won at the Rock Zombie rig wash!

#8 ·
it's a fun run, but i would take the georgetown route when you do it. going up heartless pass is usually steep and icy (being on the back side of the mountain it doesn't get much sun) when there is snow and nothing to winch to. plus you can fuel up in georgetown and stock up on beer/snacks before you go. a good run to tom's for us includes:
the snow starts just outside of Quintet where the plow stops, air down- 8-10 psi in your stock vehicles will help alot. bring a portable compressor incase you go too low.
snow wheel to Stumpy meadows and have lunch
wheel on to tom's for some good times: :beer:
head back, stop at stumpy, use the bathrooms if needed.
air up to about 20 psi in quintet. it'll take forever to get all the vehicles to
32 psi, but they'll drive ok to georgetown where you can use the big compressor at the gas station.
good times

definately wait till there's a few more storms for some good snow.

#11 ·
Yes, there's snow at 4000' in Pollock. Not a lot, but there is. It's been raining here for two days solid at about 37-38 degrees, which turned to snow at the end of the storm (common), so at 7000' there will definitely be snow, probably a couple of feet.

I'm going up tomorrow, I'll update the "conditions" page when I do.

John

#14 ·
from what i understand from having conversations w/the barkeep, you just show up. usually in winter they arent rented.

#15 ·
I will be heading up there the 2nd weekend in January with some friends.

My rig is street legal, but I usually tow it to trailheads since it runs on propane.
Anyone have any good suggestions for tow rig parking? Georgetown or similar areas? (I have chains for my tow rig & trailer, so mild snow/plowing areas are fine).

#18 ·
Stumpy, but there will be a good amount of snow to drive through before you get there. Not much room from what I know in Georgetown, a community softball field and Black Oak School. There are a number of pullouts, spurs off of Wentworth that could work, the interstection at Volcanoville Rd has a big turnout. If you want to head down the road a little to Garden Valley, Golden Sierra High School has a big parking lot. Hopefully someone local could chime in. I'm just speaking from the countless times I've driven the road without actually parking a trailer. Hey maybe Karen would let you park in her yard :flipoff2:.

#19 ·
Thanks guys.

I got a number of PMs from folks with (legal) suggestions.
I appreciate the PMs over posts, since the info won't be out there for the world to see.

I've never been to Tom's, but I hear they rent rooms/cabins....

Do they have a phone or a way of getting in contact ahead of time?

#21 ·
Yeah, thats why I was asking which way you were going in as I wasnt sure much of legal places to park. I would have offered to park at my place in Rescue and drive up but if you are going Auburn that will be out of the way. As for Tom's, show up and make sure to bring a dollar to put on the ceiling :smokin:

#26 · (Edited)
Sorry, should have been more specific. But yes, snow: amount, where it starts, etc... Both Mormon Emigrant and Wentworth are equally far of a drive for me. I would prefer Wentworth, less crowds, tickets although shouldn't have an issue, but wanna make sure I get some good snow conditions before I leave back to Oregon on Sunday :).

Edit: Answered my own question after watching Vertigo's video in the NorCal forum...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.