Rubicon Bypasses? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2003, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Rubicon Bypasses?

I need some help understanding what are considered "bypasses"

First a little background from my perspective . . . From the late 50's when I did the 'Con the first time until 1980 when I went overseas we started at Wentworth Springs and went to Ellis Creek,up Little Sluice, Spider, Buck Island (before 1968 or 70 the trail went to Rockbound), down Big Sluice then to Rubicon Springs and Tahoma. There were 3 accepted bypasses back then; the long way around the north side of Bugle Lake, The Little Sluice bypass and the Old Sluice bypass.

Fast forward to 2000 when I came back home. Wentworth Springs is bypassed by the Loon Lake entrance and meets the original trail at Ellis. Persons unknown have dynamited the north wall of Little Sluice forcing all but the hardcore rockcrawlers to take the (at least) 40 year old Little Sluice bypass for which we take a load of crap for not staying on the trail. The ironic part is the fact that the Little Sluice bypass was actually much harder than going up the sluice.

My question is, who determined what is and isn't a bypass and why? To my way of thinking, the Loon entrance is the only bypass that doesn't have an historical basis.

Somebody care to enlighten me?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
The Loon lake entrance and slabs (bowl) is mostly private property.

The Little Sluice bypasses are on USFS lands, mostly.

The whole orig rubicon trail road is a county un-maintained road -- county owned. but the road passes thru private property and USFS lands, as well as some SMUD property.

So all the groups need to be involved in any decisions made concerning the Rubicon. That's why we have Friends of the Rubicon and the Rubicon Oversight Committee:

visit www.delalbright.com/rubicon.htm for more info. or write me.
Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepndel
The Loon lake entrance and slabs (bowl) is mostly private property.

The Little Sluice bypasses are on USFS lands, mostly.

The whole orig rubicon trail road is a county un-maintained road -- county owned. but the road passes thru private property and USFS lands, as well as some SMUD property.

So all the groups need to be involved in any decisions made concerning the Rubicon. That's why we have Friends of the Rubicon and the Rubicon Oversight Committee:

visit www.delalbright.com/rubicon.htm for more info. or write me.
Del
That's all good and fine. I understand the ownership issues and the trail's status as an unmaintained county road, probably better than most, but that didn't answer my question which was:

Who determined what is and isn't a bypass and why?
Old 05-13-2003, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
The bypasses are determined by a few basic factors:

1. The orig trail (county road) is being surveyed and compared to historical records (under the guidance of the Rubicon Oversight Committee, with me on it). visit: www.delalbright.com/rubicon_roc.htm
The county is doing the surveying.

2. Anything outside the historical route is a bypass.

3. The USFS owns much of the land outside the county road right of way (which is a bit of a gray area now also). Anything on their property is an illegal bypass unless they've designated it as rightous.

So FOTR, POR and the Rubicon Oversight Committee are really working hard to ensure we do this right, have legal rights of way, and can set this up to keep our access permanent and fun.
del

Old 05-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Ok, let me see if I can help here.

1. if we do any maintenance (tree clearing), it'd be politically a good idea to include the folks who have adopted the trail:
Dana Holland's club; the Tahoe Hi-Lo's at least.
Dana: (916) 812-2578 no email for Dana.

Hi-Lo's: Buck McLelland:
"Buck McLelland" <Bucknmichelle12@aol.com>

BY THE WAY; last time I spoke with Dana, he said he club was planning a trail opening on June 7th.

2. I tense up at the idea of being in there before Memorial Day if it's just going to make a mess. But if there's going to be folks headed in for Mem Day, then if a few responsible folks DID get in there before hand to open the trail, that would be the better plan.

3. We MUST include the ROC and the County when it comes to bypasses and changes to the road or road right of way. I've asked folks to re-think the June 7th bypass work because there's just no way I'll have the political ducks lined up. We'd be going against the grain. BUT we could certainly do clean ups and trail openings (downed tree removal; illegal bypass cut-offs'; and minor erosion control (getting the mud puddles cleaned up).

4. If someone has volunteered to lead a small group of folks in for a pre-MemDay opening, then I ask that you post your plan to the Rubicon Trail Talk section and get your folks lined up. I"ll help line up troops and a plan if you'd like. But we should tell the group what the thinking is so we don't have our own forces against us for going in early.

5.. June 7th. Again, if the bypass work gets post poned, but folks still want to work on the trail, then I would be looking for a lead hook volunteer to head up the troops and help orchestrate the thing. I'd be happy to help also. I will probably be there anyway.