The Quad Squad: Sheriff's deputies to patrol the Rubicon - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
The Quad Squad: Sheriff's deputies to patrol the Rubicon

May 22, 2003 -- The Quad Squad: Sheriff's deputies to patrol the Rubicon

By JESSICA R. GREEN Staff writer

RUBICON TRAIL -- Reacting to a "lawlessness" that has taken over the Rubicon Trail during the summer months, the Sheriff's Department will start patrolling the 30-mile 4X4 paradise this weekend.

Around 35,000 visitors visit the "world renown trail" during the three summer months, which is voted a "10" on a scale from 1 to 10 for outdoor enthusiasts.

"Because of its (the Rubicon Trail's) popularity it is getting used and abused," said Richard Mainwaring, president of the Jeepers Jamboree, one of the many group trail users. Having sheriff's deputies patrol the area will hopefully, "keep the honest people honest and the renegades in line," he added.

With over $60,000 in state grant money available, the El Dorado Sheriff's department purchased four Kawasaki 360 off-road vehicles and juiced them up "with winches, beefed up skid plates, GPS units, radio equipment and first-aid supplies," said Lt. Bill Brown, who wrote the grant proposal. Trailers to transport the vehicles were also purchased.

The grants are from a state Off-Highway Vehicle fund, which works from a fund base accrued from fuel taxes and off-road registration sticker fees.

"There is a certain amount of lawlessness going on up there," said Sgt. Darren Lewis. "If somebody's vehicle breaks down up there, within hours it will be stripped. If someone breaks down and is holding people up, people will roll their $30,000-$40,000 rig down the hill," he added.

Brown has been working to get patrol units on the Rubicon for two years.

"It is necessary because we received a lot of complaints from the 4x4 community about drunken behavior and fighting," said Brown. "We are trying to be proactive in maintaining the environment up there, by being more of a presence up there it will be restored to a more family environment," said Brown.

The units will be deployed daily from this weekend through Labor Day weekend. They will be looking for registration, equipment, alcohol and weapon violations as well as responding to volatile situations.

"We will be there to make sure everybody has a good time and educate the people (on the rules) who haven't been up there before -- basically keep the peace," said Lewis.

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/display/in...es/K2205_F.txt
Crowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2337
its about time! thank god.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally posted by nosmogGMC
its about time! thank god.
I'll 2nd that!!!!!!!!!!
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR]. [url]www.mudnworks.com[/url] [email]mud@mudnworks.com[/email]
[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654231"]Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle[/URL]
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1370
I agree - it's a great thing.

But.... can someone confirm where the funding came from? And shouldn't we hope for a more positive tone in the writing of articles like this?

Paul
nasvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
quad squad funding

Much of the Quad Squad funding, and even another vehicle or two, were funded by the OHV Trust Fund, thru El Dorado County and the Rubicon Oversight Committee -- us, basically.

It's a good thing.

As to the article -- yea, more positive would be nice, but the truth is, I never expect much from the newspapers and edtorial folks who cover us. You first of all must realize, we HAVE NO CONTROL over what they say, don't say or print -- or how they slant something. After 30 years of dealing with the press, I have learned what my grand-daddy always said to be true:
1. Believe nothing of what you hear;
2. Little of what you read;
3. And only about 1/2 of what you see.

Me? For it to be true? I gotta see it, feel it, taste it, experience it, and get hit upside the head by it.
Del
Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP

Last edited by Jeepndel; 05-27-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1370
Re: quad squad funding

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepndel
Much of the Quad Squad funding, and even another vehicle or two, were funded by the OHV Trust Fund, thru El Dorado County and the Rubicon Oversight Committee -- us, basically.
That's what I thought - thanks for the confirmation.

Would have been nice if they included that info.. How 'bout a letter to the editor from ROC or FOTR?

Paul
Old 05-27-2003, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Paul, it was probably mentioned by the officers in the first go round. Just not printed. But SURE, if YOU want to crank out a letter to that affect, I'll take a look at it, help edit, add a few things, and we'll ship it off.

Remember why they call me Del??? It's short for Delegate.
x0x0x0, Del

ps. in all seriousness, I cannot run this FOTR/ROC/Save the World from Greenies campaign without all of you pitching in to help.

Old 05-27-2003, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1370

Ok... gotta run now, but will take a crack at a letter this evening (unless someone starts drafting one first....) <hint> <not my strong suit> <hint>

Paul
Old 05-27-2003, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
https://secure.townnews.com/ca/placer/letters/

or

Letters to the Editor -> plakey@mtdemocrat.net

or

FAX 530-622-7894

Be sure to include your full name, city and telephone number (so they can verify authorship).
Crowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 16503
Send a message via Yahoo to SMiTTY_420
Hey all,

Below is a mail I wrote to Jessica and the feedback from her. This might be a good place to start and get some GOOD press. I included a couple of the quotes on here, so it's only fair that I share it with the rest of you. I can't wait to finish my move out there to the Carson City area.

-------------------- Cut & Past -------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for sending me the feedback on my article. A lot of the comments are right on.
The paper's photographer took some pic's of the 4x4's and they turned out so well the
editors asked for a story to go with them, so I was sort of back peddling. The
sanitation grants will be a second story and I would love to talk to your group about
some of the ways you assist in those efforts. A ride along would be great also.

Talk to you soon, Jess

Mike Smith wrote:

> Hello Jessica,
>
> I just got done reading your article and all the replies that were posted on Pirate
> 4x4. Just thought you'd like to know that the article got good reviews for the most
> part.
>
> Here's a couple quotes :
>
> "its about time! thank god."
> "I agree - it's a great thing.
> But.... can someone confirm where the funding came from? And shouldn't we hope for
> a more positive tone in the writing of articles like this? "
>
> I think you took the easy route in writing your article. The tone seems to cater to
> the tree huggers that would like nothing more than to shut the trail down at any
> cost.
>
> A lot of the people on the Pirate 4x4 board stand behind doing things to clean up
> the Rubicon and to keep it open for decades to come. It would sure be nice to see
> an article on all the positive things people are doing to improve the trail and to
> inform people of how to "tread lightly".
>
> Are you even aware of all the good that goes on? Such as the trail clean ups which
> pull out TONS of garbage and the toilet/sanitation projects?
>
> I'd hope you'd take up the opportunity to write a follow up article. Maybe go for a
> run through the Rubicon with some of us that care and are trying to make things
> better? It might give you a new outlook on the 4x4 community.
>
> All and all I think the article was good. People have been asking for police
> intervention for a while now. It's good to see that there will be some enforcement
> on the trail for the FEW idiots that are giving offroading a bad name.
>
> Take care,
>
> - Mike Smith
SMiTTY_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
popeye

Member # 20027
the article said they would be checking for registration among other things, how would this apply to non street, trailered vehicles. i ask because we are starting to build a buggy and i don't know anything about how to go about some kind of registration.
yotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Yotee,
a non street legal vehicle (rock buggy) is required to have a Green Sticker for many roads in USFS lands, especially roads designed to carry street legal traffic.

Check out the CA State Parks web site, OHV division, or maybe even DMV, for more.
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/

Del

Last edited by Jeepndel; 05-30-2003 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19860
Just Darwin at work, just have to work at what's important to use and protect that what we love.
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote