poor rubicon.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2003, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19089
poor rubicon....

well I guess the con is out for us .... by us I mean people that use daily drivers that are not stock.. I was up there on friday the 13th of june..
the gatekeeper was trashed.. just about the only things that went through when I was there was a rig with 38"tires and a good lift.. I hate to say this but the others were winching there to get through.. wow.. .. I am sorry to say my wrangler wouldent go through it.. I didnt even try.. last year I was on the cleanup run.. and went through with no problems.. but I guess I have to find a new place to wheel..
I was on the fordyce on memorial weekend I was camping there..
the first hill was ripped up by a group of wheelers.. going up and down forward and backwards.. the bypass trail was now inpassible.. tires uprootd treestumps and granite .. then people were puting trees in the trail and boulders in the trail also.. .. what ever happend to tread lightly to try to keep the trails open.. just because you invest a whole lot of money in rigs.. dosent mean that you have the right to tear up the trail due to the lack of conceration and common sence.. I also feel the need to have cops site drivers that are drinking on the trails.. get the booze in these people they dont care what they do to the trails.. just to see if they can go up and over anything.. yea.. I wheel but I know not to tear up trails tho.. if the wheelers dont watch what they do .. we will end up losing all the rights to trails.. I dont want that .. if this club cares enough they should promote the drinking and driving rules also.. .. I am realy not a complainer.. but I dont want to lose any more trails.. I love wheeling..
anyone feel the same????

mike..
mikeswrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Did you or your group take any pictures of the gatekeeper? If so, I'd be interested in seeing them!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10443
your kidding me right I was just up there this weekend and there were a million almost stock rigs pulling in on our way out. They had the marlin crawler round up and there were rigs all over the place wich were sitting on 35" and 36" think i even saw a few rigs sitting on 33"'s back in the trail.. Gate keeper is pretty gnarly right now but not impassable. Just got get it or go the other way wich has some hairball spots as well.

FYI people in gettin it rigs aren't the ones that mess the trail up

Last edited by RigLessPos; 06-15-2003 at 05:02 PM.
RigLessPos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19094
I was with Mike on the 13th when he went up there. It my 1st visit to the trail, and I didnt even know it was a trail until we walked to Gate Keeper. I took about 20 pictures, all can be seen here:

http://www.420crew.com/z1m/gallery/v...umName=rubicon

Anyhow. While we were there, we saw plenty of rigs, but i only watched one drive through the gatekeeper. Every other rig i saw there was more than capable of doing the same, but it does suck that unless you have $20,000 to invest in a truck, the only way to see the trail is by foot or in a passenger seat.

-Brian
Old 06-15-2003, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1370
Brian - Just curious what you think of the trail now that you've seen it. Plan on still running it in Subarus?

Mike - I know opinion will vary on what is 'doable' and what rigs should be capable of running the trail. But what I want to know is if you (or others) think there's a legitimate need for repair work at the Gatekeeper.

If you've been following the threads on this page, I'm sure you've noticed there are plenty of people willing to work to keep the trail open - that means more than just politics. If you think work needs to be done say so. Others will have their opinions and we'll work it out.

OTOH, if you don't then I guess you found out why it's called Gatekeeper.

Paul
nasvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
The only bad part about Gatekeeper is the holes after the v crack. They are getting deeper every year. Most lighter modified rigs will high center or whack the running boards. That has been a fact of the trail for 20 years or more. other wise the gate keeper is not much harder than it was 5 years ago. Nor is it harder than the REST of the trail.

I have been hearing stories about rocks being tossed out into the bushes. Anyone seen this?? I do knpw the postpile is missing many.

this year with 35's
Attached Images

Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
This is the postpile from Fall 2001
Attached Images

Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Fall 2002
Attached Images

Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
EVERY one of those 6-10 inch rocks is gone.
Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
I was on the Gatekeeper Thursday (last week).
It was gnarly as heck; but doable with a good guide and some banging. 4" lift, 33's, and ARB's front and rear made it thru (my club partner, Ron DeLaney). he's done it many times and says it was about as tuff as he's ever seen it.
del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6170
I just went thru it today on my way home. It really doesn't look anyworse than memorial last year or 4 yrs ago when I ran it. Later in the season it gets easier because it dries out and folks stack rocks. I drove it in late august once and walked right through it, no problem. Just give it some time.

I was also impressed at how clean the trail was. I noticed more trash and beer cans on the way up Ice house than I did on the 'con. Oh, and thanks for dumpsters at the Loon Lake staging area!

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19094
Nasvik. I still want to, expecially after being at the trail. It does look extremly difficult, and me and the group that is going are discussing idea's on creating more flex with our Indipendent susspension's. Still alot of work that needs to be done, and i will most likely be a passenger on the trip.

-Brian
Old 06-15-2003, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1370
That's great, Brian. If you can make it work do it. There's plenty of resources on this board, and plenty of people that will come along and watch/help. Do it!

Paul
nasvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
I was up there for the work day last weekend and had no problem crawling through Gate Keeper in my little XJ on 33s. Coming out was a different story however, when I went a little too far to the right and got high centered. Purely driver error. It didn't seem any harder than the previous times I've come through, the wetness did make traction a little more difficult to find though.

Jes
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11154
Looks the same as it did last year to me
OCNORB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4329
A few years ago me and a buddy would do the gate keeper in 2wd low with the rear air locker locked. It has been getting worse over time!
ROCK HUGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 19089
ok.. I understand. the meaning of what a veichle is capable of doing.. but I would like to have some fun doing it.. I dont try to do things to have a part break and have to be towed home. I dont have sponsers to help me get parts.. I am just a maintance worker for a housing complex.. lol
the question is this.. why make the entrance to a trail hard to go through.. and the trail is fairly moderate to hard.. I have been as far back as walker hill before I had to turn around for work.. last year.. I had a blast!!!
that was on the cleanup run last year..
the only other hard spot was the s turn about a 1/2 mile in the trail.. other than that the trail was nice ..
I heard it is that way till little sluce.. havent been there yet.. but want to.. lol
just because I have a daily driver and no bank account to feed my hobby.. I dont want to risk my rig.. I am not saying that I cant go there.. just wont go there... .. by the way.. why did we close up the bypass at the gatekeeper??? on the cleanup run???
I think it would do us good to open that up and close gatekeeper for a while to repair the trail. from what I have seen of the trail.. I want to go back.. and enjoy the trail.. .. and the question to me was do I feel the need to repair gatekeeper.. the answer is yes.. why keep a trail open for only modifyed rigs.. I want to see the nubies go .. in stock rigs.. lol.. I try not to dent the metal of my daily driver.. I have some picts of the con last year.. but not the ones I took on the 13th.. I will post them.. . the url is http://briefcase.yahoo.com/m.minadeo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by mikeswrangler; 06-15-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 19089
oh yea.. the trailhead was much cleaner than I have seen it before.. thanks everyone..
and del.. thanks for the input also.. the trail is still a good trail.. I want to keep it that way also.. like I said I am not a complainer..
Old 06-15-2003, 11:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
AJ3

Member # 3275
What are you talking about. I went through for the first time on Friday in my truck. IFS and 35's....We went all the way up to soup bowl. That trail is great!
AJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
I like milk

Member # 164
Send a message via ICQ to cbassett Send a message via AIM to cbassett Send a message via MSN to cbassett Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett Send a message via Skype™ to cbassett
Gatekeeper should not be touched; it's primed to do it's job well this season.

Stock rigs should not expect to get past gatekeeper without some bruises. The trail gets enough traffic, it doesn't need to be paved to provide for even more.

If the Gatekeeper is too much of an obsticle for you and your rig, maybe consider 4wheeling at Slick Rock, Strawberry, etc. off of hw 4..

'76 FJ40
'06 Ulysses
cbassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 11:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 10443
Quote:
why did we close up the bypass at the gatekeeper??? on the cleanup run???
and you talk of keeping the trail open. They close bypasses so they can keep the trail open if you tried to bypass every spot on the con that your rig couldn't pass it would be crazienessand the trail would be closed There do seem to be some bad holes gettin dug and there don't seem to be as many rocks to stack but as you can clrearly see its more than passable maybe you just need to learn how to get it. They don't call it gatekeeper for nothing.
RigLessPos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Originally posted by cbassett
Gatekeeper should not be touched; it's primed to do it's job well this season.
Agreed. It is an effective trail filter. If you cannot drive through, Gatekeeper then turn back. Props to the fella who started this thread for looking before he leaped and having a good enough understanding of his skills and rig to turn back.

There are many other Sierra trails that offer similar scenery and differing degrees of challenge: Hellhole, Strawberry, Slickrock, Deer Valley, etc.

Remember also that the situation may change... many Sierra trails are tougher early in the season when wet -- others are made easier as vehicles pass through. Sometimes mid-season trail maintenance improves them (Friends of the Rubicon has a work weekend coming up, Jeep Jamboree's permit includes trail work, and Cal4 will be working with USFS on Fordyce)

Build your rig or your skills, not the trail.

Randii
- KOH Pledge Drive: for 4405 KOH Pledge #4
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
As to Gatekeeper bypasses -- this is a NO NO folks. The FOTR and POR group have been working hard to keep this trail from any further restrictions and bypasses are what kill us. If you get off the trail, you're either on private property, or you're doing resource damage (crushing brush, violating some USFS edict, etc.)

This will get the trail in trouble. That's why there's no bypass at the Gatekeeper. You must go thru it to be legal and on the trail.

Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
JW

Member # 222
Quote:
well I guess the con is out for us .... by us I mean people that use daily drivers that are not stock..
I believe it is called the gatekeeper for a reason.

It does not seem much worse (if any) than previous years to me either.

Don't forget, this trail is normally used for rockcrawling in four wheel drive.
marrying wisely and investing well-but they don't clear as many doubles."

budbuilt.com & highangledriveline.com
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeswrangler
ok.. I understand.
No, you do not
Quote:

the question is this.. why make the entrance to a trail hard to go through.. and the trail is fairly moderate to hard..
The entrance is what it is , nooone made anything but bypasses that have now been blocked
Quote:
I have been as far back as walker hill before I had to turn around for work.. last year.. I had a blast!!!
Glad to hear you had fun, that is why I go. So, have you ever been down the big sluice?
Quote:
I heard it is that way till little sluce.. havent been there yet.. but want to.. lol
just because I have a daily driver and no bank account to feed my hobby.. I dont want to risk my rig.. I am not saying that I cant go there.. just wont go there... ..
I have no bank account or sponsors, only DEL does
Quote:

why keep a trail open for only modifyed rigs.. I want to see the nubies go .. in stock rigs.. lol.. I try not to dent the metal of my daily driver..
It is open to anyone that wants to go. Some will just motor through. others will struggle. Go up on a Jamboree weekend and watch all the vehicles go through. Better yet signup and go yourself. They have rock stackers and people to assist you. It is a good driver that makes it look easy. I have seen plenty of bad drivers in good rigs. If the dents are too much for you, you should not go back. This is the Rubicon and you will get dents. Fact of life. We all want the trail to be challenging. rant off

Scott
Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.