Ellis Creek shortcut >? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3229
Send a message via AIM to DaveWFO Send a message via Yahoo to DaveWFO
Ellis Creek shortcut >?

Hey guys

Does anyone know the turnoff for Ellis Creek shortcut off Ice House ? I wanted to take the shortcut if possible to miss some of the traffic this weekend going around gatekeeper . I understand if you don't turn to go to loon, you keep going up but how far is the turn off and what are the condtions like on the trail. ( i.e ) is there any sketchy sections at all. Not saying Gatekeeper is sketchy, just don't want to be sitting in traffic if all possible.

Thx
Dave
Old 07-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Are you talking about Wentworth or mccinstry (Sp?)
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3229
I don't know exactly what entrance it is. Its right before the new section if you are coming from the Box by Ellis Creek and you go throu some place you can camp on your right or something and its a trail that is pretty mellow, but dusty from what I understand ? and pops out on ice house after. I want to say its not Wentworth springs entrance and say maybe mccinstry trail ???? Sound familer ?

thx
Dave
Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
McKinstry comes out at Ellis.

Found these from Del a while back

"to get there from icehouse, go up almost to Loon, and stay left (straight) where the road forks to the right to go the last 5 miles or so to Loon. I think the sign says Gerle Creek and something else.

You go past the Gerle Creek and Airport Flat campgrounds and the pavement peters out. You'll see USFS signs that lead you to a lookout (Bunker Hill) and McKinstry lake.

get a USFS map on your way up.
Also try mytopo.com or MapQuest.

This is the back way into the Rubicon. It comes out at Ellis Creek (which is the top of the bowl or slabs you might say). Right before Walker Hill. "
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3229
Would anyone be going in this was on friday about 12 pm ish give or take a few hours ? I would want to say it will cut off atleast 2 hours of the traffic jam at Gatekeeper with all the rookies. I heard there is a couple of turn offs on the fire road that you have to take and I don't want to get lost

Dave
Old 07-09-2003, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1614
Different Routes

There are 4 different routes that I'm aware of getting to the slabs.

Gate Keeper - The one you want to avoid

The lower trail - This one you just follow the trail

McKinstry Lake Trail - Very smooth until you get to the slabs

Wentworth Springs Trail - Loads of fun

-(o|||||||o)-

1982 Scrambler, 258 I-6, Howell EFI, TFI Ignition, and NP435. Waggy Dana 44 Front, Scout II Dana 44 Rear, Detroits F&R, 4.10 gears, SOA with JC Whitney 7 Leafs and Warn 8274 winch.

Scramblers get more tail!
ledjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
ledjer,
the Gatekeeper entrance (rookie filter as some call it) IS the trail. the actual County road, Rubicon Trail.

The lower trail you refer to, is not a legal trail, but rather a user created, temporary trail that will soon be closed off. It's on private property.

McKinstry is a nice way in if you can find it, but misses all the fun of the slabs (bowl).

Wentworth is historically also part of the trail.
Del
see the Rubicon Home Page for more.
www.delalbright.com/

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3229
Thanks for the info, Actually took gatekeeper and there wasn't anyone in the way which was nice, must of just gotten lucky when we came through.

Dave
Old 07-12-2003, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepndel
. . . the Gatekeeper entrance (rookie filter as some call it) IS the trail. the actual County road, Rubicon Trail . . . Del
I beg to differ with you. The Loon Lake entrance, including the Gatekeeper, is a bypass. It may, in fact, now be designated as the "actual County road" but it is not the original Rubicon Trail.

I would suggest you research the history of the Rubicon instead of rewriting it.

For your edification, I have attached a general depiction of that portion of the original trail from Wentworth to Spider including the Loon Lake bypass.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2003, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockcrusher

I beg to differ with you. The Loon Lake entrance, including the Gatekeeper, is a bypass. It may, in fact, now be designated as the "actual County road" but it is not the original Rubicon Trail.

I would suggest you research the history of the Rubicon instead of rewriting it.
You are both correct here. The original trail (Del knows) is the Wentworth Road. The "Common" access point is/was the Loon bypass. It is either now or will be soon the other "official" entrance to the trail.

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 347
Rockcrusher, you have a point... Del oversimplified, a bit, and from discussing it with him in the past, I know that he knows that the 'unmaintained county road' runs through Wentworth and across Ellis Creek.

You make your point with such animosity, though... What's up?

If you want to play 'My maps's better than your map,' I'll play -- check the press release at: http://www.4x4wire.com/access/news/f...0_02/index.htm
That article was accurate as of 10/2002, and was fact-checked through FOTR, foresty, and the jambo folks.

The bigger issue might be to identify what's eating you and resolve it. You clearly have a good understanding of the history of the trail, and I think that experience would make a great addition to the Friends of the Rubion team... but you're lobbing in grenades from the outside. What can we do to get you to work with us?

Randii
- KOH Pledge Drive: for 4405 KOH Pledge #4
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3417
Rockcrusher- To use a line from your website"To counter this threat we must unite"
Like Randy says what is eating at you? We all are civillized here for the most part. I encourge you to join FOTR or at least show up to a work party and see what it is all about we are allways looking for more help.
Rusty