"Lower Road" around Gate Keeper- Legal bypass or no? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13381
Send a message via Yahoo to KidJethro
"Lower Road" around Gate Keeper- Legal bypass or no?

There seems to be some debate in this post...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=161588

I alwasy thought that Gate Keeper was just that, a Gate Keeper. To me it doesn't make sense to have a "Gate Keeper" if there is another route around it..
KidJethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
I posted i n the other thread too. There will always be another way around. It is called the Rubicon trail. It goes through Wentworth Springs. The Loon Trail is/was a user created bypass that is being recognized by all the Government agencies and land owners as part of the County road that is Wentworth. Legal easements are filed and the lower road is not part of that.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2003, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5333
Send a message via Yahoo to 5spd
I am glad to have some insite on that lower trail. I know its been there forever as long as I have been going up there.
5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
5spd,
I hope you're not confusing the lower route around Gatekeeper with the Wentworth springs trail. They're not the same.
Loon Lake access is actually called the Ellis Creek OHV trail -- access to the real Rubicon Trail.

See the Rubicon Trail Home Page for more.
www.delalbright.com

Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13381
Send a message via Yahoo to KidJethro
Hmm...

Ok, maybe I'm just slow and don't get it..

So is the lower bypass thing a legal/legimate/ok to use route around Gatekeeper or not? So it is slated to be closed off.....Is it ok for people to use it untill that time comes? I don't care either way, I'll always go through GateKeeper, It's more entertaining.
KidJethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 404
We should generally stay on the main trail on any 4WD trail but we need to be extra careful on high profile and sensitive trails like Rubicon. This particular bypass has always been an "issue" and we need to think of it as closed now.

The bypass is just a few hundred yards down the hill from gatekeeper while the Wentworh section of the trail is clear on the other side of the granite bowl. Can't really confuse the two once you are in the area.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197
huh.... never noticed a way around gate keeper... when you drop off the big slab and make a sharp right onto the dirt ...the bypass is to the left and down?

What about I-5 ?? that is how we cut off abuch of time in the bowl I was shown the route like 4 years ago... is the bowl kinda a free for all ?

Mike-
LADD Racing #82 NCRR soon to be in U4 in a 4500 car
Mike Ladd and co dawg Perry Hemre
Crew Chief Jim Wright, Assistant Raymond Wright
Club Jackass Wheelers
TTC 1999
BnTMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally posted by BnTMike
huh.... never noticed a way around gate keeper... when you drop off the big slab and make a sharp right onto the dirt ...the bypass is to the left and down?

What about I-5 ?? that is how we cut off abuch of time in the bowl I was shown the route like 4 years ago... is the bowl kinda a free for all ?

Mike-
I have only been on it once. When coming back from spyder direction, at the bottom of the big V in the slabs, instead of going up in the middle, you go far right, somewhere? lol, watch out for a dip with water in it, only about 15 feet across, but I was told like 10-15feet deep too! You will lose your rig, when you come out, you are past gatekeeper~pinch rock, on the path to the left & down. It's not paved by any standards, just easier then gate keeper, No idea if I could find it again from the slab side, but before gatekeeper at loon, should be easy to find. We took it,because someone in our group had a rig problem I think, been like 6 years.
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR]. [url]www.mudnworks.com[/url] [email]mud@mudnworks.com[/email]
[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654231"]Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle[/URL]
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5333
Send a message via Yahoo to 5spd
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepndel
5spd,
I hope you're not confusing the lower route around Gatekeeper with the Wentworth springs trail. They're not the same.
Loon Lake access is actually called the Ellis Creek OHV trail -- access to the real Rubicon Trail.

See the Rubicon Trail Home Page for more.
www.delalbright.com

Del
I dont know if its part of Wentworth (although I have never been in that way) I really never knew what if anything it is/was called other than what I have called it. I know it is accessable from coming up over the big slab and instead of turning a sharp right onto the dirt trail to the GK you take a left and go behind that giant building size boulder there. I have always gone in via the GK and one day I was at the top of the bowl and saw 8 or 9 jeeps come out the bottom who were in front of me that morning and they dissapeared. Then coming out that weekend I went to find out what trail was down there and saw that trail and figured it was just another way in and this was 6 yrs ago. I know it is well used so I may be wrong in my thinking here. Anything more I learn about it will be enlightening also.
5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
That bypass that drops off before you get to Gatekeeper is private propery and not really part of our trail. Some folks use it; but eventually we will have to close it off. The USFS is concerned with that section too, down where it crosses the swampy area (creek) it is causing erosion (silt) to wash down stream quite a bit.

So the way to go is thru Gatekeeper. We will probably end up fixing up Gatekeeper a bit on our aug. 16 work weekend; then farily soon, close off that lower bypass. The property owner (Mark Smith of Jeep Jamboree) has been very forgiving about folks using it. But it's time to put the trail back to where it belongs.

Del

Old 07-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1370
FWIW, and as I stated in another thread, that lower route was closed at the request of 'the gods that be' during the Pirate Clean Up 3 years ago. Dean and I found out the hard way in a HUGE spring snow storm.

As also stated previously, the rocks that were placed to block the route are still in place. But new trees are down 20 feet over.

Paul
nasvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 05:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
The Rubicon Trail (original):
Folks, we will be getting the Rubicon Trail back to it's original route as much as possible, to maintain the historical and legal right of way of this county road.
We will also be aligning the Ellis Creek OHV Trail (which is the one that takes off from Loon Lake). Ellis Creek OHV Trail is an access route to the Rubicon Trail. Dropping down below the Gatekeeper (Rookie Filter, etc.) is not the trail. That goes thru private property and we must block it off soon.

Del

Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1506
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepndel
.... We will probably end up fixing up Gatekeeper a bit on our aug. 16 work weekend...

Del
Please define "fixing up Gatekeeper a bit"?
Thanks.
[url="http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15264"]Gerald's Exploder[/url]
If you 4wd,
the Rubicon is Home.
GJarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Gatekeeper Fixits:
In order to keep peace in the family (all the users of the trail, the USFS, the private property owners and the commercial vendors), we the Friends of the Rubicon and the Rubicon Oversight Committee agreed to make some minor improvements to Gatekeeper (Rookie filter) to make it more passable and to stop folks from going around it. It's getting wider every year and starting to cause some serious resource damage to surrounding vegetation.

We will be deciding those fixits on Thursday Aug. 14 during a ROC tour. But tentatively there'll be some rock stacking to make a ramp or two to get over that middle boulder.

Del

Old 07-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Found this post from the Nov 9 work party last year, just food for cogitating. I was noticing the comment about the slabs being slippery.

dncswrk wrote:

Member #4204
Weather started out with no snow on the slabs and partly cloudy.

By 1pm the weather changed and the cold front arrived. Started to rain, then it quickly turned to snow. We did't realize how much it was snowing until we walked back over some of the area that we had 'strawed' earlier - it was covered.

About 15 of us. We drove oyt the bottom of the slabs because it was to slick to make the climb out of the bowl and up to the gatekeeper.

All of the straw has been spread and all of the new trail signs are high in the trees for a real snow run.

Scott Johnston
Rubicon Trail Foundation
Founding Director
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote