Con for the first time, questions... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2003, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20123
Con for the first time, questions...

Hi,

I posted over in the trail rides forum only to realize there was a forum specifically for Rubicon talk. A friend and I are planning on running the Con this weekend, leaving friday night and running through sunday. We have a couple concerns and questions, and knowing the history and background of this trail, dont want to get into any trouble with the natives

We are planning to leave the Bay Area at around 6pm, and sleeping in our Jeeps at the trailhead. Does anyone have directions to get to the trail (fastest) from the Bay Area? And is it legal to park cars at the head and sleep in them?

Next, we plan on running to spider and camping there a night. Here is where stuff gets confusing, because my friend who ran it before, got lost here and made a wrong turn and met a dead end. Does anyone have any detailed directions of the trail? We dont really have time to buy the books on the trail (our bad) since we planned the run in such short time, and we know that bypasses and going off the trail is illegal, so we dont want to get into that mess.

My next question is, is it possible to make it out of the trail in one day after Spider (i have an appointment to get my wisdom teeth pulled on monday morning , what a closer for a great weekend huh) and we are wondering if it is possible to get to the tahoe side from Spider in one day. Or should we try to make it to Buck in one day? If not, we will probably camp at Spider and just make our way back after that.

My last questions is, since fires are no longer permitted on the trail, what do you guys eat?

Thanks for helping this noob out
Patrick
LeftCoastLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4001
yes, you can sleep at the trail head

Directions: Get to 50, head east til you get to Ice House rd..turn Left. Head up about 20-25 miles til Loon lake rd...head about 3-4 mile in, pass over one damn and the road will end at the spillway (Big gravel parking area below spillway)

Maps: search for posts by Old Scout..he always seems to have maps posted up.

You can do the trail in about 4-5 hours if you really hurry..Spider is about .75-1.5 hours in depending on how slow you drive.

BTW, Friends Of the Rubicon will be at Spider working on Sat (& Sun too I think). If you can, please stop and help out for a bit...Thx, Joel
Old 08-14-2003, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20123
I dont know how much help we can provide (two grand cherokees), but if we see you guys, we will definitely stop and lend a hand if needed. Its really amazing how much effort and sweat you guys put into this trail. I dont think any other 4x4 park or trail has the respect that the Rubicon does. I hope to one day (when i come back to NORCAL permanently) visit the con alot more and maybe join FOTR in the fight to keep the trail open and enjoyable.

Thanks for the info!!

Patrick
Old 08-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Can you leave the bay area a bit early? We plan on heading in from the trailhead at Loon at about 7pm.

That way you could head out from Spider later in the afternoon and head into the springs for camping Sat night. and tool out in a couple hours on Sunday from Rubicon Springs.

We have Gas BBQ's and Stoves. I will be eating some tri-tip and a pasta with Chicken and Mazzerela. Can spell what I'm eating though.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20123
I cant leave since my friend has work (he's a garbageman), so we're leaving at 6:00pm, unless plans changed but most likely not. We plan on wheeling ALL day to try and get to the springs by sat night, maybe eat lunch at Spider and try to press on. We just hope we dont get lost past spider like my friend did last time, anyone wanna point us in the right direction?

Josh, where are you leaving from and which highways do you take, im thinking 680>80>50, but ive also heard of the 5 straight to the 50.

Patrick
Old 08-15-2003, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Quote:
Originally posted by LeftCoastLax
I cant leave since my friend has work (he's a garbageman), so we're leaving at 6:00pm, unless plans changed but most likely not. We plan on wheeling ALL day to try and get to the springs by sat night, maybe eat lunch at Spider and try to press on. We just hope we dont get lost past spider like my friend did last time, anyone wanna point us in the right direction?

Josh, where are you leaving from and which highways do you take, im thinking 680>80>50, but ive also heard of the 5 straight to the 50.

Patrick
I'm heading over from the bay area. You are coming up from So Cal right? Just take 5 to 50.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5982
Quote:

Patrick
Don't take 80 at that time, you're kinda screwed no matter how you go about it, I'd go 580>99>50

The speed you can make is determined by the rigs, capable locked F+R, geared, and 35's you can make Spider quickly. Less equiped double the times.

I'd get up early Saturday, there are going to be a lot of people heading in. The hardest part of the trail to follow is in the granite bowl, once you drop in, head towards the right corner of the bowl.

Good Luck, stop by and have a with the rock crew at Spider.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20123
If any of you guys saw two silver grand cherokees up there this weekend, it was us. I appreciate the help we got up there, everyone was real nice when we asked for directions or needed some tips on an obstacle. Definitely coming back soon.

Patrick
Old 08-18-2003, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Quote:
I hope to one day (when i come back to NORCAL permanently) visit the con alot more and maybe join FOTR in the fight to keep the trail open and enjoyable.

Thanks for the info!!

Patrick
You can join FOTR right now! You can learn a lot about the trail and land use issues by just following the FOTR email.

Follow the link in my sig and sign up!

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 963
Send a message via AIM to overeasy
Me and some friends were camped below you at buck. What way did you go out? I say you head towards the springs on Sunday morning.
Any major damage?
Later
Steve
Old 08-18-2003, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20
Send a message via Yahoo to MellowYellow
Hey Patrick,
You guys did really well.
I was in the pail yellow CJ7. We were just in front of you on the big sluice.
See you soon,
-Pete
MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Quote:
If any of you guys saw two silver grand cherokees up there this weekend, it was us. I appreciate the help we got up there, everyone was real nice when we asked for directions or needed some tips on an obstacle. Definitely coming back soon.

Patrick
We didn't get to the gate keeper until after 10pm on Friday. I'm glad you guys were able to hook up with somebody and had a good time!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20123
No major damage...my tie rod ends were full of dust after the trail and were clunking the whole last half of the trip (almost drove me nuts), but other than that, a couple scratches on the bumpers, some dents in the rockers, but no real carnage to report. My friend in the WJ got a little bit of love from the two squeeze rocks after the big sluice (right where you guys took off after i was fixing my swaybar disconnects) and messed up his rear quarterpanel a little bit more, but nothing to go crazy over.

Overeasy, we headed towards the tahoe side exit early in the morning. Got caught behind a HUGE line going up Caddy Hill. I guess a guy lost his clutch in his XJ and needed to be towed up the hill. The guys towing him were really nice, offered to take him up far enough so people could get past.

We got some weird stares, but hey, its expected

Hope to wheel with some of you guys sometime in the future.

Patrick
Old 08-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19352
Hey Patrick...good to see you guys on the trail. We were the guys helping out the XJ with the smoked clutch. I was in the yellow Landcruiser.
You are in SoCal during the shcool year, right? Let me know if you ever want to do any wheeling down this way. I'm in San Diego.
Hope the teeth feel better.
Mittis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20123
The only positive thing that came out of getting my teeth pulled was the NOS they gave me, wow, talk about a high

I definitely want to do some runs in SOCAL during the school year. Living in LA is crap, no one even knows what "offroading" really means. Sometimes i wish i went to school at SLO where they have an actual jeep club for the students, Poly Goats. I'm lucky if i meet someone at my campus who knows how to engage their 4lo.

I'll hit you up when i get down to SOCAL, probably around the 20th of Sept.

Patrick