Soup Bowl FOTR project. Easy line around Soup Bowl will be closed! - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictylers1 View Post
So then the logic must be that lesser equipped rigs can go around that "hard" spot and get further in the trail and block it there instead.

Makes perfect sense.
What hard spot? The trail (the wall), the right side of the trail, or the left side of the trail?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Neither. It just seems like making it easier so anything open open on 31s can get by there and just keep on going until it gets harder, and plug it up there instead of the proposed paving with a 2' high rock in the way that you have to put a tire on.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Ah - I missed the sarcasm.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Old 09-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Thank you - THAT is the trail

Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 149343
What

What? Dose not the Pumper Poop Truck drives right through there? Just a waste of time and $$ that could be spent else where on a still fun trail.
Rocky Bar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bar View Post
What? Dose not the Pumper Poop Truck drives right through there? Just a waste of time and $$ that could be spent else where on a still fun trail.

Right?

Like - Winter Camp? Like - Barts Creek on the Wentworth side?

Old 09-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 33169
What a bunch of stooopid!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
I was just up there in July driving my "little Jeep" on 33" tires. It didn't seem any different than the other sixty+ times I had been through that spot.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 695409
They always come under the guise of safety....
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Wow...just...wow...
Old 09-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Don't you think John Arenz (RTF Vice Pres) has Vickie's ear?
Absolutely

Quote:
Couldn't FOTR say "no we, the users, don't agree with that project and we're not going to do it"?
Not anymore, those days are over

Quote:
Can't the users flood the El Dorado County's inbox with complaints regarding specific projects that are NOT safety issues but are being pushed for other reasons?
Every time we revolt we get a threat to close the trail, or in my case get accused of trying to close the trail

Last edited by Bebe; 09-26-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Right?

Like - Winter Camp? Like - Barts Creek on the Wentworth side?
It's so hard for me to fight this stuff like I use to, it's in the air with a lot of my friends as well, the passion that most of us had is gone because of all these backdoor secret handshake double probation meetings.

But, Winter Camp...
So they blocked off the other routes in and out, they have a plan to restore it but they did nothing there. They just add rocks to other sections of trail that do not need repair. When I was up there a few months back, I've never seen it (Winter Camp) in such disrepair.
Us as Club members and die hard Rubison lovers took care of everything, but the county does not care about our thoughts anymore so a lot of people seemed to just roll over.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Mark, I agree with you. A lot of what is going on, and all teh bad clals taking place are really tearing the fabric of teh groups, organizations and individuals that want to continue doing the right ting and fighting for open access. As much as I ma glad that the trail is open, it is like our request are falling on deaf ears, so no amount of money donated to help the trail or time volunteering seems to be making any impact.

I am seeing these secret back door handshakes, politics and inadequate decisions impacting groups and individuals that are losing motivation and fighting or bickering against each other when they should unite. This is the scary part and will lead to eventual closure or basically full paving of the trail as we know it. Something has to change, and fast. Voices need to be heard, and partnership and respect need to take re-instituted again, otherwise calls like paving LS will continue being made in vacuum.

geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
It's so hard for me to fight this stuff like I use to, it's in the air with a lot of my friends as well, the passion that most of us had is gone because of all these backdoor secret handshake double probation meetings.
This is what the powers that be need to hear.

Like I told certain folks toward the end of my term - if the users have no input, they will have no desire. You pave over their work, you pave over their heart.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 227055
sure seems like this is gonna be one of those stories we tell our grand kids about the trail and how it was
GONE ARE THE DAYS........

UPDATE as of 11:31am 9.27.2016 Ms Sanders is on the RUBICON TRAIL
I called the county to VERBALLY ask what, why and when.
I will call back tomorrow

Last edited by phunhawg98; 09-27-2016 at 12:33 PM.
phunhawg98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Can someone explain where the work is actually going to be done?

Or at least clarify where the re-bar is supposed to go?

Is it where the point of the arrow is? Or is it on the other side where you head up the first ledge of the Soup Bowl obstacle?

I've been getting a ton of PM's asking to clarify.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 550282
What this whole project really boils down to is filling in one hole on the right side of the bypass for safety reasons AND to prevent further sedementation issues. it will effect nothing else so i don't understand why people are freaking out.
mike871994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #44 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike871994 View Post
What this whole project really boils down to is filling in one hole on the right side of the bypass for safety reasons AND to prevent further sedementation issues. it will effect nothing else so i don't understand why people are freaking out.
Soils and sediment are not an issue there, there is no flowing water source that I remember within 100 feet.

Because it's a bowl, the sediment is suspended and doesn't travel far.

I also don't remember there being a bypass at soup, but I will go back a research that. IIRC there is the trail and the off trail obstacles to the left.

I'm not freaking out, I just don't see a justifiable project when Winter camp is a place where water flow can rinse contaminates into a watercourse. It is more than 100 feet in some areas, and more than 4" deep in others. This can cause the trail to be closed, and in my opinion, relatively urgent.

Therefore I am questioning the management direction as a member of the public, and as a taxpayer in Eldorado County.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike871994 View Post
There is NO safety issue there. If anything, this bypass is creating a safety hazard.
rockbuggy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #46 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
This is what the powers that be need to hear.

Like I told certain folks toward the end of my term - if the users have no input, they will have no desire. You pave over their work, you pave over their heart.
You said it better

I recall all the days those of us in the bay area would work 8-10 hour days, then drive up just to attend a meeting in Eldo County to be heard.
As they stop listening, we stopped showing.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I recall all the days those of us in the bay area would work 8-10 hour days, then drive up just to attend a meeting in Eldo County to be heard.
As they stop listening, we stopped showing.
We did everything we could.

We gathered hundreds of signatures, we attended meetings, we went to the hearings, we donated money and time and work and effort. We clearly proved what the great majority of the users wanted and made our case. All of it was futile, as the entire process felt like we were kids that were handed crayons and paper to make us feel like it could matter while in truth all was decided and in pavement before step 1.

Gatekeeper RIP. That was the beginning of the end.
The gatekeeper was the greatest safety measure ever. It stopped people right at the beginning. As time goes on, that line goes deeper and deeper into the trail, into areas farther from help, into areas that could pose greater danger to those unequipped and unprepared and unskilled.

In the future you will have a situation where people with zero experience will only find out they are in over their head when it's too late, when they're near a cliff, when they roll and start a fire, when they break down and need a chopper to get out with their babies, etc.

Everything in life is not for everyone. You can't just wake up in the morning and decide you're a rock climber. Well, maybe you can if they pave Everest and add a bunch of stairs, right?

Last edited by Yota Up; 09-28-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Some Clarification from the book of faces:

Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR)‎Soup Bowl Easy Line Step Repair
Page Liked 2 hrs

Quote:
In an effort to make things clear, the concrete and rebar is to be placed in the orange area, after we do some digging. Not the green. I don't think it will be very visible after we are finished and rain comes. The sand and silt should cover most of the work.

As a side note, this project was suggested by Trail Users.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bebe; 09-28-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
If it needed to be shored up like a hillside (Sunrise Canyon on Fordyce) or parts of Cadillac, where the erosion could cause the trail to slide away entirely, then yes - rebar, concrete, gabions.

But here, I could carry the amount of rock needed to fill that hole from Little Sluice in my Rzr.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 110750
I've starred at that picture for 20 minutes, where is the safety issue? Is the ramp they are building more to help with winter travel?
TWISTER78FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.