Soup Bowl FOTR project. Easy line around Soup Bowl will be closed! - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225201
Well that CJ almost lifted a tire so that must be it.

If placing rebar and concrete just to have it covered back up with more silt and sand makes sense to anyone, I must be dumber than I look.

2 rigs in an hour could fill that with softball sized rocks and accomplish the same goal without pouring stupid concrete and rebar which I feel does not belong in the woods.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 140551
So looks like they are putting all this in at the base of kitchen from that pic.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Some Clarification from the book of faces:

Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR)‎Soup Bowl Easy Line Step Repair
Page Liked 2 hrs
At first I thought this was a drainage issue, like all the other little sediment ponds that are on the trail, but it's not?
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #54 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
They said sediment - but there is nowhere the sediment travels especially in that spot.

The thread title is Easy Line Step Repair, so I would take that to mean they are repairing the step up.

Quote:
Quick, one day project, the trail will be closed with the exception of Soup Bowl to pass the work area.

FOTR's intentions are to place re bar and concrete eliminate the ever growing "step" on the easy line, to prevent traffic congestion, sediment, and the trail widening as well as safety issues near soup bowl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 225201
So no more 18" ledges on the Rubicon, the "World's Most Famous County Road."

Check. I don't even wheel there that often and I'm pissed about it.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #56 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
It has been a very long time since this discussion first came about in 2009. Bebe and I sat next to each other in front of the BOS in 2009 when they first discussed formally "where" the trail would be. After that the fate of Soupbowl was in jeopardy, I along with a few others, worked really hard to have the County accept Soupbowl as part of the trail. Subsequently, during the easement process in 2012, Soupbowl was set aside as a dispersed camping area validating its continued use. This seemingly insignificant project was a part of those discussions and subsequent record of decision.
The significance to the user on the surface may make this project look dumb, a waste or like the intent is to make it easier for Joe and Molly and their children to get through the trail.
The bottom line is that this project is so those with more capable rigs can continue to have FUN on the Rubicon.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

DuraLine winch rope!!

cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
#4475 - ABD 4x4

Member # 89109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila View Post
It has been a very long time since this discussion first came about in 2009. Bebe and I sat next to each other in front of the BOS in 2009 when they first discussed formally "where" the trail would be. After that the fate of Soupbowl was in jeopardy, I along with a few others, worked really hard to have the County accept Soupbowl as part of the trail. Subsequently, during the easement process in 2012, Soupbowl was set aside as a dispersed camping area validating its continued use. This seemingly insignificant project was a part of those discussions and subsequent record of decision.
The significance to the user on the surface may make this project look dumb, a waste or like the intent is to make it easier for Joe and Molly and their children to get through the trail.
The bottom line is that this project is so those with more capable rigs can continue to have FUN on the Rubicon.
t

Thank you Scott for the clarification. Always more to it than most know...
Edwin Abd, #4475

Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2017

Rubicon Trail Foundation
Friends of Fordyce
edabd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #58 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Soils and sediment are not an issue there, there is no flowing water source that I remember within 100 feet.

Because it's a bowl, the sediment is suspended and doesn't travel far.

I also don't remember there being a bypass at soup, but I will go back a research that. IIRC there is the trail and the off trail obstacles to the left.

I'm not freaking out, I just don't see a justifiable project when Winter camp is a place where water flow can rinse contaminates into a watercourse. It is more than 100 feet in some areas, and more than 4" deep in others. This can cause the trail to be closed, and in my opinion, relatively urgent.

Therefore I am questioning the management direction as a member of the public, and as a taxpayer in Eldorado County.
From the easement document.

Quote:
Soup Bowl (Soup Bowl): The Soup Bowl is a heavily impacted area with both
trail widening and wet soil effects on both sides of the trail. The site is on
relatively flat ground without adequate natural barriers to prevent off trail use.
The area where off trail use has denuded the soil and accelerated erosion is
occurring on approximately 1.5 acres. The area seems to be expanding. With a
moderately incised trail capturing sediment from the impacted widened area,
soil deposits are being transported to the adjacent drainage and wetland south
of the soup bowl. Deposits of sediment were measured at approximately 20
inches. Deposits this thick are affecting soil water holding capacity and
vegetative cover. The affected area of wet soil effects are approximately 0.7
acres.
Past President 2010-2012

DuraLine winch rope!!

Old 09-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Two different areas. Trail and Obstacle.

I'll have to come back to this tonight, but the damage to the trail was caused by it filling up every spring and taking weeks for it to dry out while vehicles sloshed through.

We fixed that I think in 2008/9. It no longer fills like it did and the soils that exist on the forest floor, were from many years of blockage.

I have maps from the OHMVR Assessment. I'll pull them out and recheck.

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 128321
Quote:
To your credit, yes, you and others put in the effort to keep Soup open in the time period discussed above. The fight was probably tougher due to your colleagues who were opposed to Soup remaining open, and therefore, were likely working other channels against your efforts. I was made aware through back channels who the infidels were. Fine men.

During this process, since RTF was not sharing information with the public, I got mine directly from my district Supervisor. We had a comprehensive discussion regarding Soup and I can say that he never discussed with me that a condition existed that Soup was subject to rebar and concrete in 2016 - four years later.

So, though a discussion may have taken place, and a record of decision was set forth, I know that I was never made aware of this work as a condition to keep Soup open. As I stated previously, maintenance on the trail is not an issue, communication and new offroad cement mixers are.

If this work was a condition set forth in a previous record of decision, why not post that fact in the OP? And further, why the post on FOTR facebook stating users requested this?

Succintly, very slippery.
cjcraig7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #61 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Point of order, hahaha I know right?, the trail was not damaged.
Past President 2010-2012

DuraLine winch rope!!

Old 09-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #62 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
To your credit, yes, you and others put in the effort to keep Soup open in the time period discussed above. The fight was probably tougher due to your colleagues who were opposed to Soup remaining open, and therefore, were likely working other channels against your efforts. I was made aware through back channels who the infidels were. Fine men.

During this process, since RTF was not sharing information with the public, I got mine directly from my district Supervisor. We had a comprehensive discussion regarding Soup and I can say that he never discussed with me that a condition existed that Soup was subject to rebar and concrete in 2016 - four years later.

So, though a discussion may have taken place, and a record of decision was set forth, I know that I was never made aware of this work as a condition to keep Soup open. As I stated previously, maintenance on the trail is not an issue, communication and new offroad cement mixers are.

If this work was a condition set forth in a previous record of decision, why not post that fact in the OP? And further, why the post on FOTR facebook stating users requested this?

Succintly, very slippery.
Thankfully we have a had a four year reprieve before having to deal with this.

Sigh, details, details, the work was described somewhere, it's been a while LOL. It's not in the DEIS, I just checked. Then again, maybe it is in the 598 pages of drivel but we have to abide by it now. Maybe it went in to abyss that is the SSWQPP??

Why not do the project and keep wheeling?? Most of the opinions here make it out to be insignificant as a project. While I agree, it does have importance.

Public disclosure, blah blah blah, that's your mantra isn't it?? Only hear from you when there is a complaint.
Past President 2010-2012

DuraLine winch rope!!

Old 09-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #63 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
More quote from the DEIS. Its easy to find if you want, its all public record. There are and have been impacts in the area. It's been quantified, measured and too well documented. I have walked it myself. It's hard to deny when you look.

Do I like it? I have not liked any of this scrutiny, ever.

Quote:
In the Winter Camp area, the Winter Camp Wetland is quickly being filled with
fine sediment from the trail. This sediment primarily originates in the Soup
Bowl and Winter Camp areas with some
additional sediment input coming from
the Little Sluice area. In addition to sediment, this area has known sanitation
issues and often contains high concen
trations of petroleum products and
solvents. The primary tributary channel to the Winter Camp Wetland originates
just west of the Soup Bowl Wetland. This channel receives much of its runoff
from the trail prior to reaching the Soup Bowl Wetland. From the Soup Bowl
Wetland this channel flows through the Winter Camp area on its way to Winter
Camp Wetland. Flowing through the highly degraded and incised Winter Camp
area, this channel is concentrated with fine sediment and contaminants. Just
east and upstream of the Winter Camp Wetland is the Little Sluice Wetland. It
is in close proximity to the Little Sluice Long Bypass which crosses in the
drainage depression between the two wetlands. Of particular concern in this
area is the likelihood of petroleum prod
ucts and contaminants being delivered
to the wetland during runoff events. Staining on the rocks was observed as was
evidence of vehicular use in close proximity to the wetland.
Past President 2010-2012

DuraLine winch rope!!

Last edited by cruzila; 09-29-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 128321
Quote:

Public disclosure, blah blah blah, that's your mantra isn't it?? Only hear from you when there is a complaint.
This is classic!

What, public disclosure from a company excepting public funds as a condition of IRS tax free status? Fawking aye it is my mantra. And, there is certainly plenty to complain about, but less since your retirement.

And it is baa, baa, baa.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #65 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
You must be the quintessential Monday morning quarterback......if you ever had a request that made sense other than blanket statements and demands made only here......
Past President 2010-2012

DuraLine winch rope!!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 128321
Quote:
You must be the quintessential Monday morning quarterback......if you ever had a request that made sense other than blanket statements and demands made only here......
Here is another blanket statement, it appears that you came into this thread to intentionally mislead members as to the origination of this work. You could have easily shared facts, you chose your same old song and dance.

And you appear confused, I can not remember the last demand that I made in life that I didn't collect on.

Quit being such a Little Man.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #67 (permalink)
Trailbusters4x4 club

Member # 117547
What a waist of money, time, and manpower to work on that location. When other areas close by actually need to be worked!

Here is one pic from this weekend. It is even easier for the smaller built vehicles compared to the one in the pic. To pretty much close the trail for this work on a
Weekend is a waist!
Attached Images

FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 684554
So are you going to organize a work party or donate your time at "When other areas close by actually need to be worked!" one or more of those locations?

Serious question
Old 10-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by L!ghtfoot View Post
So are you going to organize a work party or donate your time at "When other areas close by actually need to be worked!" one or more of those locations?

Serious question
after reading through the corresponding thread on this type of issue I'll have a hard time ever donating time ever again.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by '00Tacosinger View Post
after reading through the corresponding thread on this type of issue I'll have a hard time ever donating time ever again.
I do get that there is frustration. I've certainly had my share over the years, I started this journey of volunteering back in 2003. While there are others that were there in 2001 when the Tahoe side was in jeopardy and FOTR was conceived, I wasn't far behind that. I would suppose there are some that would say that the spot at Soupbowl is the same as when they first came on Rubicon in 2010. Six little years ago.

Sometimes it's all in the perspective. If I said to you that this "issue" is so you can keep using Soupbowl, would that make a difference?
Past President 2010-2012

DuraLine winch rope!!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
I do get that there is frustration. I've certainly had my share over the years, I started this journey of volunteering back in 2003. While there are others that were there in 2001 when the Tahoe side was in jeopardy and FOTR was conceived, I wasn't far behind that. I would suppose there are some that would say that the spot at Soupbowl is the same as when they first came on Rubicon in 2010. Six little years ago.

Sometimes it's all in the perspective. If I said to you that this "issue" is so you can keep using Soupbowl, would that make a difference?
no. The bullshit has been piling up a tad too deep of late.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #72 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27662
Send a message via AIM to SJscouter
complete bullshit. This really is a big waist of time and money. Ill be up there this weekend but camped at buck. Im headed in friday but a few friends are going in some time saturday and are in rigs that would rather avoid soup bowl. Is there a time frame for the work being done?

Scout buggy and a soccer mom jk on some 37's
SJscouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #73 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBlueCruiser View Post
Soup Bowl Easy line step repair October 15th.

Quick, one day project, the trail will be closed with the exception of Soup Bowl to pass the work area.
FOTR's intentions are to place re bar and concrete eliminate the ever growing "step" on the easy line, to prevent traffic congestion, sediment, and the trail widening as well as safety issues near soup bowl.
We will need 10-12 volunteers to help with traffic control, drilling and placing re bar, water gathering and moving, mixing and pouring concrete with the new off road cement mixer.

https://goo.gl/forms/v1M19w6KgeBaHzdf1
Or on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/events/1837659179788523/?ti=as
Questions fotrtrailboss@gmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJscouter View Post
complete bullshit. This really is a big waist of time and money. Ill be up there this weekend but camped at buck. Im headed in friday but a few friends are going in some time saturday and are in rigs that would rather avoid soup bowl. Is there a time frame for the work being done?
Looks like it's next weekend so I think you are good. I will be up there this weekend as well.

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #74 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub0013 View Post
Looks like it's next weekend so I think you are good. I will be up there this weekend as well.

Im going up the 14th so this will screw my friends coming in on the 15th

Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub0013 View Post
they will have to run soup to bypass the bypass that is pointlessly getting "fixed"
aint that some shit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.