Stuck rigs need assistance. All east of OP - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Hello all, I'm Doug, the guy with the two stuck rigs. I registered on Pirate some time ago but just figured out how to log back in today. I'd like to give you all an update but this is my first post on Pirate so bear with me. The quick update is that both rigs are still on the trail, buried under at least 10' of snow.

Before I post details, I want to tell you how much I appreciate all the support and interest I've received, in particular I want to thank the recovery squad we assembled via this string over a month and a half ago with Scott, Tim, Jim and Kenny. Off-road guys are awesome, always willing to help and these guys are shining examples of that. There were several others I spoke with who wanted to help that day and days after but couldn't and I want to thank those guys too. Doug Barr and "Curly" Tim Green thank you for getting the word out and for your safety suggestions and concerns. While this experience certainly has been humbling it has also been an opportunity to talk with and meet some really cool people. THANK YOU.

I have not yet been out to lay eyes on either rig though last week Nick from Reno4x4 and I were able to take our quads (both on snow tracks) well past the staging area. Unfortunately we suffered a mechanical failure and turned back, gimped out NP. We could have made both rigs but there are a few tricky parts that took us a while to navigate. I have pics I could share but not sure how to post them.....a quick example is there's one part of the trail that has 12" of running water in one wheel track, with 8' of hard pack on the other for about 50'.....and a tree across the trail under all that. Based on what Nick and I saw I am very confident both rigs are buried.

We've had record setting snow fall in the Sierras this year so I'm pretty much resolved to letting mother nature take its course for now. Its going to be a while. I'm set up to monitor this thread and will keep you guys updated. Advice and suggestions appreciated.

"atvobsession" Ken, if your friend in Tahoma is willing to connect I'm looking for folks willing to scout with me. I have the same ATV set up as he does....promise to keep an eye on him

Thanks again.
Doug
DougH123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #52 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
That sucks. Hoping no dirt bags find your rig before you do.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Reminds me of this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Girl

Life Member BRC
Cal 4 Wheel.
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH123 View Post
"atvobsession" Ken, if your friend in Tahoma is willing to connect I'm looking for folks willing to scout with me. I have the same ATV set up as he does....promise to keep an eye on him

Thanks again.
Doug
I'll let him know. Burlingame boys have to stick together.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 41156
50' of snow in the high country around Tahoe this year, yea, gonna be a while. good luck to you guys
Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #56 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Doug,

Got your email. I'll reply.

Jeff went to the entrance yesterday......this will be fun.
Attached Images

Thanks to
Old 03-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 256002
I guess Doug's rigs are not the only rigs stuck under several feet of snow.

Police find Jeep buried under 20 feet of snow in the Donner Pass - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay
jk12blk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 235556
Definitely keep us updated. I don't have a rig running right now that I would tackle rubicon in, but I could ride in on the dirt bike and lend a hand.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #59 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 422178
I don't think any dirt bikes are going up there anytime soon. A friend of mine went to observation on Friday from the Tahoe side on snowmobiles in search of the rigs. Ten to fifteen feet of snow average, lots of creeks and tank traps, and many trees down all over the trail. I think it's gonna be a long spring. I think I'm building a chainsaw rack in my jeep!

-1941 slatt grill
-1944 GPW
-1946 2A
-1948 2A
-1951 M38
-1954 diesel 3B
thefixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #60 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
Hopefully in the next week weeks you should be able to go after them.

Last edited by welndmn; 03-22-2017 at 08:23 AM.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #61 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post

Hopefully, they aren't crushed from the weight. I remember the Hummer from WH3 in 2003, all the tires were completely flat and a squirrel had taken up residency.

Thanks to
Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
week weeks............. would be 7 weeks I guess.
I think that may be very close to a realistic date.

FWIW the last time we had a very heavy winter (10-11) the date of highest snowpack was 3/25....its snowing right now
there were still 8 foot drifts July 4th

Last edited by WLDWUN; 03-22-2017 at 10:57 AM.
WLDWUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 235556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefixxer View Post
I don't think any dirt bikes are going up there anytime soon. A friend of mine went to observation on Friday from the Tahoe side on snowmobiles in search of the rigs. Ten to fifteen feet of snow average, lots of creeks and tank traps, and many trees down all over the trail. I think it's gonna be a long spring. I think I'm building a chainsaw rack in my jeep!
Well I figure by the time the rigs can be found under the snow, I might stand a chance. Have to wait and see.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH123 View Post
Hello all, I'm Doug, the guy with the two stuck rigs. I registered on Pirate some time ago but just figured out how to log back in today. I'd like to give you all an update but this is my first post on Pirate so bear with me. The quick update is that both rigs are still on the trail, buried under at least 10' of snow.

Before I post details, I want to tell you how much I appreciate all the support and interest I've received, in particular I want to thank the recovery squad we assembled via this string over a month and a half ago with Scott, Tim, Jim and Kenny. Off-road guys are awesome, always willing to help and these guys are shining examples of that. There were several others I spoke with who wanted to help that day and days after but couldn't and I want to thank those guys too. Doug Barr and "Curly" Tim Green thank you for getting the word out and for your safety suggestions and concerns. While this experience certainly has been humbling it has also been an opportunity to talk with and meet some really cool people. THANK YOU.

I have not yet been out to lay eyes on either rig though last week Nick from Reno4x4 and I were able to take our quads (both on snow tracks) well past the staging area. Unfortunately we suffered a mechanical failure and turned back, gimped out NP. We could have made both rigs but there are a few tricky parts that took us a while to navigate. I have pics I could share but not sure how to post them.....a quick example is there's one part of the trail that has 12" of running water in one wheel track, with 8' of hard pack on the other for about 50'.....and a tree across the trail under all that. Based on what Nick and I saw I am very confident both rigs are buried.

We've had record setting snow fall in the Sierras this year so I'm pretty much resolved to letting mother nature take its course for now. Its going to be a while. I'm set up to monitor this thread and will keep you guys updated. Advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks again.
Doug
Doug, if you need any parts, or anything locally, let me know I live down the road, and work in San Mateo. I am always down to help out someone in a jamb. I have a trailer you can borrow if you have to head up and tow it home too

Dima

FJ40 crawler, 2006 F250 for tow duties
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 559394
I am planning to make a recon trip out on my tracked quad the week of April 2. I'm looking for a friend (victim?) or two to join me on their snow machine or small tracked vehicle anytime that week - I can be flexible on schedule. Earliest I could get out would be Sunday morning, April 2, which I may do solo since there tends to be hikers, cc skiers, snow mobile folks out there on weekends.

Also, if anyone has, or knows someone who has a narrow track snocat with a blade who'd be willing to "groom" the trail out to Miller Lake I'd be keenly interested in connecting with them. That would be a HUGE labor saver once we're ready to recover.

Thanks "fixxer" for the trail update.....I assume your friends didn't see any rigs poking out of the snow?

The trail description is in line with what I saw 6 weeks ago. It's encouraging that the snow, though really deep seems to support some light 4x4s....I've heard folks are off-roading in deep snow on the Loon side and in some places at Fordyce and I saw on another forum that a brave soul in a Wrangler made it to the first creek crossing a few weeks ago. Not recommending anyone do that just saying the snowpack has some firmness to it.

Dima, really appreciate the offer. I garage my rigs in Squaw Valley and have a trailer there too, which was under 8' of snow but it's wedged in my yard.....so I may take you up on that. Thank you!
Doug
Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Update: I spent Sat/Sun/Mon afternoon on the trail and conditions are looking promising for recovery effort in a few weeks. I made it to the first rig on Saturday and the good news is its no where in sight, completely covered under 6-7 feet of snow. I did not attempt the second rig. Snow is still deep but melting fast, though we do have a storm coming in this weekend that will dump another 3-4' at 7K. A couple of built local rigs were out late Sunday afternoon and were able to stay on top putting down fresh tracks in the soft stuff so the base looks to be pretty solid. Half a dozen tank traps between staging area and Miller Lake. Biggest safety concern is the bridge just before staging area. I plan to get out again on my quad after this next storm to reassess but thinking Easter weekend or the weekend after (4/21-4/23) may be possibilities for recovery effort.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #67 (permalink)
jtr
Rock God

Member # 41068
Good luck to you!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Haven't yet been out on my quad after this last storm and may not get out until next week. Looks like we got about 2' of new snow and a bit more on the way this weekend. Shooting to push back a week and assemble a recovery crew for the weekend of 4/28-30 which will give me some time to nibble away at the trail before the big boys come in. Stay tuned.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 24195
Recovery help?

I may be in the area the last week of April to help out. I would need a place to park my tow rig somewhere very close to the Tahoe trail head (in the McCinney Rubicon housing neighborhood).

It must be off the residential roads or it will be towed. Two years ago I parked at the Homewood ski area parking lot in March ( with permission). I don't like driving my rig on the HYW.

It looks like there is a 10' high "gate keeper" snow pile @ the entrance to the trail in the residential area.

Cheers. Toyrocs
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 93772
I've got family in town that weekend, interested in seeing how this turns out though.

Good luck you guys.
bsdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 93772
I live in Hayward and have property just outside of Pollock. Rig is pretty well built but it's no match for the conditions up there right now, the fella's in this thread are likely going to get further in than I would be able to on 37's.

If you end up needing to tow your stuff back I've got a tow pig and make that trip frequently enough, I'd need to wrangle up a trailer but that shouldn't be a problem. Me making the trip might be easier than others since I live in the bay area.

If there's another party heading in after April I might try and show up, or if you want to park your stuff in the Placerville area for a while, or if you need to tow things back to the bay area let me know.
bsdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Operation Glacier Girl is a go! I finally got back on the trail yesterday after the rain and conditions look good for a recovery effort the weekend of 4/28-30. The new snow we got last week is ankle deep mush on top of the hard pack and melting fast. There's one spot on the access road where the asphalt is exposed but it's still mostly 5 to 6 feet deep to the staging area, 6 to 7 feet beyond that. The snow on the bridge is getting pretty skinny, just wide enough for my quad and remains my top safety concern. I plan to spend this week on the trail doing what I can clearing downed trees, smoothing out tank traps and packing down the snow.

So far I've connected with 8 or 9 guys with built rigs and snow recovery experience willing to give it a go, so it looks like we have a good core group. Others are welcome too. If interested best way to reach me is to call or txt me, (415) 531-1441.

I'll update and provide further details as we get closer. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 220897
Doug I got your message, I'm in Just a suggestion, you need a early start time so the snow is still frozen after the sun hits it we will start sinkin'. Will Emit be back buy then.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Hi Tim! Fantastic! I'm usually up early anyway (I have to pee) ready whenever you are!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Unfortunately Emmet won't be here he's got a Baja event down in SoCal that weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.