Stuck rigs need assistance. All east of OP - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 175512
Incredible work, I would've been tired after the first 5 shovels!
kaiserdtm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 97797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarjeep View Post
Perfect timing for a spring snow storm to come and cover everything back up again.
Long range weather report shows good chance of rain on Sunday.

Ride on
Brewster
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #128 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2 View Post
Long range weather report shows good chance of rain on Sunday.

Ride on
Brewster
That will help with snow melt.

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
A little, the bummer is it will probably make it damn near impossible to get anywhere.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #130 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9154
So here is my cut and paste literally scissor and scotch tape. But this is how I showed a bunch of people at work today. They swear its fake.
Attached Images

98.5 dodge,EZ,TST,ex brk,Goerend,ford outers,quad bags
'05 arctic fox-880wts solar,inverter,cocktail cubes 24/7
502cu in boat EVIL SATISFACTION
v6toy4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 684554
I basically forgot....isn't this the "first" vehicle? Ever locate the second, or make it in that far?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
[quote=Brewster2;40635313]Long range weather report shows good chance of rain on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post

Could turn that hole into a ice pool too?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #133 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post

Could turn that hole into a ice pool too?
More than likely it will just move the walls back away from the car a little bit, and drain underneath all the snow. The snow isn't well sealed enough to fill up a big hole like that. At least not for any duration of time.

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 233811
Thumbs up

Amazing job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use the discount code Pirate4x4
LifetimeLED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #135 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by L!ghtfoot View Post
I basically forgot....isn't this the "first" vehicle? Ever locate the second, or make it in that far?
Making it to the 2nd vehicle is very difficult. I've tried on my tracks and couldn't get there in lesser snow years. There is a narrow section, not long after the turn to the trail that is a side hill nightmare. You slide off...and you can die. You would have to shovel it level for about 100 yards.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG update: Nick and I are trying to a assemble a recovery team for this coming Saturday. Scott, Jim and Kenny have family obligations and can't make it so I've reached out to those who've offered to help in the past on this forum and elsewhere. We've also blocked out the following Saturday when Scott and Kenny are available. If I've missed anyone with snow experience who's interested please contact me, (415) 531-1441. Thanks!
DougH123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 721473
All I have to say is holly shit.... you guys are crazy cool not just for what you guys did... but the fact you even said
" hell yes, lets go " ... awesome work love the photos

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Cheapthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG: We're all set to recover the XJ tomorrow morning. We'll stage on the street around 7am as the parking restrictions ended May 1. Over the berm at 8. Mike/JJ if you're up for it we could use one more big tire snow rig. Trail is nicely packed but half a dozen trees are down since last last Saturday and more are popping out of the snow. AZ Creek crossing was 24" deep with warm temps and runoff. Thanks, will update tomorrow night when we're out, hopefully w good news.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Looking forward to the update. And pics
Old 05-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 698145
My first post:

Best of Luck tomorrow. I cannot even imagine that amount of snow. Michigan gets it's fair share of snow, but nothing like that.
Tumbleweed44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG Update: the saga continues...
We were unable to recover the XJ today. We had a crew of four very capable rigs however snow conditions with the warm temps this week and the rain and snow today were absolutely BRUTAL. No one made it to the first tank trap let alone the Buck Lake run off. The snow on the trail was like wheeling on mashed potatoes...served on a greased cookie sheet...impossible. Not that it mattered, Nick and I rode ahead on our quads, Nick (my new hero!) piggy backed my good friend Bill Fisher, FHP Automotive in Tahoe City, on the back of his Bill worked his typical magic, cut the exhaust at the front axle, bypassed a bunch of relays and with the help of Nick and a can of starter fluid got the engine to fire and run for a minute or so. Unfortunately, the fuel line is comprimised somehow and isn't pumping enough fuel to allow the old girl to run on its own. Bummer. Very difficult to fully diagnose all the issues so next step will be to pull that rig out its hole to get it under its own power. It's not possible to drag it behind any snow rig no matter how capable under current conditions. Today was a wet, cold, miserable day on the trail but it was fun, full of laughs, no one got hurt, we didn't break anything and everyone got home safe and sound. It was great meeting a new group of hard core wheelers, Chris (YJ) brought his wife and stepson Ty (stud!), Mike (TJ), Greg (YJ), and Scott in his diesel powered Toyota (my personal favorite). Bill's significant other Dani hoofed much of the trail and has a bunch of photos for the guys, we'll figure out a way she can get those to you. Thanks to the crew and thanks again for all the support out there.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 24859
Are you able to get into the parking area or are you guys driving in from nearby ?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 559394
We staged on the street at the entrance to the paved access road. Just getting to the staging area is an adventure, the snow has melted down to the asphalt in many places but it's 4-6 feet of slippery side hill in others. There's a big tree down across the road that I swear wasn't there even just a couple of days ago...the bridge at car wash takes half an hour of shoveling/leveling every time we take wheeled rigs in just to make it passable.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG Correction: Chris owns a beautiful black CJ on 44's and full width one tons, not at YJ as I indicated. My apologies Chris!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG Update: The first rig is out of the hole! Nick and I rode our quads out to the XJ yesterday afternoon with Nick's friend Gregg riding "bitch" on the back of Nick's quad. Over the hump on "hump day". Trail conditions were treacherous with slippery side hills, snow bridges deteriorating, more down trees and others popping out out of the snow. We hit the trail around 3:30 and made the rig around 5. Nick and Gregg installed an auxiliary fuel pump and line with bits and pieces provided by my friend Bill at FHP. We strapped the pump on the dash and set a 5 gallon fuel tank on the passenger seat primed the pump, and then Nick and Gregg got the old girl fired up. After it was running, to get the XJ off high center we used a farm jack attached to a heavy duty, folding arm base that Gregg's company, Hard Core Trail Gear, invented. Very cool recovery product I had not seen before. The base was set on a charred firewood log, in the snow on top of ice covered rock....in a 12' hole. Don't try that with a standard jack base! We safely lifted the front of the Jeep and put traction boards on top of packed snow under the front tires and set her back down. Gregg set up a come along to a nearby tree to one recovery point and we attached the winch from my quad to another. Nick climbed in the XJ and we slowly crept the Jeep of off high center and up the ramp, moving the traction boards and resetting the come along as we went. Once on all fours, amazingly the tires all had air pressure...in fact too much pressure. About half way up the ramp we turned the quads around and with a recovery strap attched to the front axle and to both quads Gregg climbed in the driver's seat and on the count of three we all hammered down to put the rig on top of the snow! After waking up a few hibernating bears with hoots and hollers we packed up our tools, cleaned up the area and aired down the tires to see how far we could get. We only got the rig about 3/4 of a mile down the trail but it was a huge victory seeing the XJ under its own power. Gregg beautifully piloted the Cherokee with Nick and and a recovery strap proving an occasional bump as we limped along. It was almost dark, the engine was overheating and with some knarly obstacles ahead we parked it in a nice flat spot and headed for home. We got back to the street around 9pm. Gregg braves the foul weather with us on Saturday in his YJ and did quite well, but it was a pleasure working shoulder to shoulder with him for the first time yesterday. Nick was his usual take charge brilliant self. Fun times. More to come.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 685938
Awesome to hear

Saw these on instagram

Christopher.h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 685938
Old 05-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 685938
Old 05-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #149 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Doug sent me this. Just posting it for him.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 75808
Thank you for keeping us up to date.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.