Stuck rigs need assistance. All east of OP - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 69199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
What radios are you using?

Two rigs had mobile units, I was using my FT-60r. A few others had baofengs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICNICK View Post
Two rigs had mobile units, I was using my FT-60r. A few others had baofengs

Need some 50 Watt radios.

Last edited by Treeclimber; 05-15-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 69199
But then I wouldn't have been able to ride to the top of the mountain haha... this recovery has been a lot of work, got to have some fun sometime!

Old 05-16-2017, 01:51 AM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I'll try not to clog up this thread to much with this debate, I hear what you are saying, however, most times I see rzr's in the snow, the drivers are clueless. They're running normal tire pressure and trying to throttle though everything. I pulled one out last Saturday. He was stuck in the packed ruts, as soon as I pulled him back, he floored it and buried it again....

Maybe the snow is softer down that way, but once we got up to about 6k feet the snow was hard enough that I could take my 4runner on 37s almost anywhere but the steep climbs. I know guys who ride 2wd sport quads in the snow this time of year...........

I realize the tracks aren't going to limit the capability when you're on deep snow, but I have to wonder if a good set of tires on the same quad could do just as well?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 166616
Imagine airing down times 10. Doesn't matter how good your tires are, you will never come close to the the contact area that a track gives you. There is a point of course where tracks may limit you when traction becomes more optimal but in a recovery case such as this I don't think the horsepower to the ground loss of the tracks is an issue at all.

Last edited by Justdhutch; 05-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Justdhutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #181 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
How are the tracks doing in this snow? I always figured tires had a slight advantage this time of year.
There is no contest.....Tracks beat tires with a stick. The only thing you need to watch for, is to make sure the tracks don't submarine trees and holes, because this will break your anti-rotation bar.

With tracks, you've effectively increased the footprint on the snow by close to 10, thus reducing your pounds per square a lot.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!

Last edited by atvobsession; 05-16-2017 at 09:13 AM.
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 69199
Good points. Also don't forget. The tracked ATVs are what finally pulled the jeep from the hole... Would have never happened with tires. As I mentioned previously, it's nice to have a couple rigs that you don't have to worry about
Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #183 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
How are the tracks doing in this snow? I always figured tires had a slight advantage this time of year.
These photos are from Dec 30, just before Doug "lost" his rigs. We went to Miller Lake to fish.

We tried to reach Richardson Lake, but aired down I only made it about 1/2 way to Richardson. There was no chance to climb that hill.

The Quad on tracks, is my old ATV that Jeff now owns. He went up and down that hill without any issues, off trail, around trees, through soft stuff, up to Richardson, then back..Meanwhile I was trying to crawl up a small hill for 30 minutes.

It was no contest.

You can even look at the photos...the RZR is at wheel level in the snow....the Quad is down about 1" or so.
Attached Images

Thanks to

Last edited by atvobsession; 05-16-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I guess I'm not being clear, I'm not talking about tracks vs tires in December powder, flotation is king there, like you guys said, no contest.

I'm talking right now, spring snow. I'm not sure about the Rubicon, but our snow is hard enough to support a ~4200 lb rig on 37s no problem, so I would think a quad with some flexible ~30x11 tires would float great.

When we go up, we are running over downed trees, sticks, rocks, creek crossings, tree holes, ect. This where I would worry about the tracks. I could be way wrong though, do you guys stop and clear trees and sticks often, or just go around?

Like I said, I know people who ride sport quads this time of year, I don't see how a 4wd quad couldn't go anywhere you wanted.

Not trying to bash here, as I'm very curious about tracks, advantages and disadvantages alike.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 69199
Yeah Doug and I use the same track, it is a 4 season capable design made by Camoplast. It is just as happy buzzing across a rock stream bed as it is floating over bottomless powder. Just like all types of wheeling, your day on the trail is determined by how well you pick lines while crossing terrain. It is well worth it for us to have to cut a branch or two so that we can afford to ride anywhere we want on the trail. We don't make ruts, we don't tear up the ground, and we can ride up to the tops of the surrounding mountains to scout the trail or ensure thorough radio communications... I have a few sets of tires for my ATV in the garage, and they're staying there until a shit ton more snow melts
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 559394
For what it's worth in current conditions the fastest time any wheeled rigs made it out was 3 hours. My fastest time on tracks from the first rig to the street in same conditions was a little over half an hour....solo. The last time I went in solo in a wheeled rig it took four months to get out
DougH123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 63333
Thank you so much for the posts and pictures!
I and many others check it every day.
I would say I wish I was there, but I hate that white stuff.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 721473
I wish I could have been there...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Cheapthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Driving Line Magazine just posted a nice article about our recovery effort on their website....check it out:

http://www.drivingline.com/articles/...n-the-rubicon/
DougH123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #190 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Very nicely done article. Really sends the message of teamwork and community.

Thanks to
Old Today, 06:29 AM   #191 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
Good read.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.