Stuck rigs need assistance. All east of OP - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 24859
No snow on the boats or ice in the lake, looks good.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 207585
West side is back open, and the Tahoe snowmelt is raging. Very warm temps forecast for the next week, it will start to go fast. Once the OGG guys get past that off-camber spot above Miller Creek, which could take some (more) digging, it's all downhill as they say, and the rest is doable with some effort. Give it a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG Update: We're planning an organized recovery effort for next Saturday, June 3. I plan to be on the trail Wed/Thu/Fri to check trail conditions and hopefully reach the 2nd rig on my quad. I'm curious to know how folks made out this weekend as I understand there's been a lot of traffic up the access road.
DougH123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Operation Glacier Girl Pre-runner videos posted on YouTube: For those interested I posted raw, unedited pre-runner video from April 28, the day before our recovery team uncovered the 1st rig. There are 6 segments starting from the access road to Miller Meadow, the last segment you can see where I rode 8' over the top of the Cherokee. Later that afternoon is when I put a shovel on the top of the rig. You can find the videos by searching "Rubicon Trail OGG" on the internet.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH123 View Post
Operation Glacier Girl Pre-runner videos posted on YouTube: For those interested I posted raw, unedited pre-runner video from April 28, the day before our recovery team uncovered the 1st rig. There are 6 segments starting from the access road to Miller Meadow, the last segment you can see where I rode 8' over the top of the Cherokee. Later that afternoon is when I put a shovel on the top of the rig. You can find the videos by searching "Rubicon Trail OGG" on the internet.
Embedded videos:
1/6:

2/6:

3/6:

4/6:

5/6:

6/6:

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 738833
I'll be a possible to help this coming weekend.
Whats the trail condition for fallen trees?
DangerOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 48401
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH123 View Post
OGG Update: We're planning an organized recovery effort for next Saturday, June 3. I plan to be on the trail Wed/Thu/Fri to check trail conditions and hopefully reach the 2nd rig on my quad. I'm curious to know how folks made out this weekend as I understand there's been a lot of traffic up the access road.

Did you get in to see the conditions? I might have time to come help with the effort on Saturday if you guys need another rig.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Thank you CherokeeTerrorist! We have a solid core group confirmed for Saturday and another one forming for Sunday so we're all set as far as rigs/resources but I appreciate the offer. Also I'm told one of the clubs will be out clearing trees on Saturday too. I was on the trail yesterday and the snow has melted down to the dirt all the way out to Lilly Lake, then gets to 6-7 ft at Miller. Snow is still pretty firm but I expect it to soften up the next two days. Side hills aren't too bad but lots of tank traps that are difficult to get out of. It took me 6 hrs to cut my way through down trees to where the first rig was just past Miller. I expect more of the same out to the second rig.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 559394
OGG Update: A small platoon of twelve big tire rigs hit the trail early yesterday but unfortunately we were unable to get close to the 2nd rig. The lead group made it 200 yds down past the Y while the second group stopped at the water crossing just past Miller Meadow. Early cloud cover kept the snow nice and tight but at one o'clock it turned soft and got pretty slippery. Gregg did a nice job at the tip of the spear but around 2pm when he slid off a side hill backward into a water hole, and his wife clawed up his right arm like a cat climbing the drapes, that put a damper on everyone's enthusiasm. It was fun up until that point and then it got real The Fixer earned his handle as three rigs limped out with broken axle/hub/u-joint issues. No injuries lots of smiles. Another epic day on the mountain with a great group of wheelers. Trail conditions continue to evolve, melting snow is exposing a ton of down trees both large and small and big trees are still falling on a daily basis. The crew spent a good part of the day manning chainsaws and shoveling ramps and cutting side hills. Rock hard drifts across the trail in the shadows are 10-12' down toward Potato Patch with one in particular I've been told forms in the same spot every year and deserves a name...the snow version of Soup Bowl. We'll give it a whirl in a week or two and will keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 155973
Any updates??
Neventy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 559394
Operation Glacier Girl will be back in action this weekend. We have a small group headed in before first light tomorrow and likely another staging around 7am. I'm told one of the local clubs may stage at 9. I was able to put eyes on the second rig Tuesday though I hiked the last mile. That rig has completely melted out. Trail conditions below the Y down to potato patch continue to be treacherous with nasty 8 to 10 ft hard packed drifts and side hills and deep water holes that are difficult to get up and out of. There are a dozen down trees in that section that have yet to be cleared so we'll have our work cut out for us breaking trail tomorrow. The trail from Tahoma to Lilly Lake has melted to the dirt, same from potato patch to OP. A few rigs including some SXS's in the past week have made the hole where the Cherokee was, no one has ventured beyond that. Will update Sunday, hopefully with good news.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #212 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
What no pics?
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #213 (permalink)

Member # 559394
I'm happy to report Operation Glacier Girl has reached a successful conclusion! The 2nd rig reached the Tahoma staging area late yesterday afternoon with the help of an amazing crew of volunteer wheelers. JJ (Sami), Kevin (Willys), Scott (YJ) with his son Austin, and I staged at 4:30am and reached the rig by 8 or so. JJ was tip of the spear and did a fantastic job pointing the way the entire day. I had spent Friday clearing trees, making it to the rig on my quad for the first time late Friday afternoon. On the way out I was absolutely thrilled to see a group of five well built rigs out of South Lake breaking trail hoping to make Rubicon Springs that evening. It took that group 5 hours to bust through the snow to just above potato patch, which helped our crew immensely. The 2nd rig, my 73 Chevy (affectionately known as Grampa), limped out under its own power without his windshield, a tank of watered down fuel, four broken leaf springs, and a missing front shock we removed as the upper mount gave way at some point this winter. The roof was caved in along the top of the windshield but with the help of a farm jack JJ performed some slick body work to allow the driver better visibility and a little head room. We had a relaxed ride out meeting Toyota Mike, Gregg (YJ) and his friend Kade in a built FJ. Gregg and Kade continued on down to OP and Mike joined our crew playing clean up on the way home. JJ, Scott and Kevin showed tremendous patience spotting an inexperienced snow wheeler through the rough spots and providing Gramps a tug when needed. Everyone made it home safe and sound, no breakages with the exception of a snatch rope, but that snapped pulling a high centered JKU off the snow on the way out. Getting Grampa off the trail on Fathers Day weekend, 6 months and 17 days after he went in, seemed a fitting end to OGG and an epic winter here in the Sierras. One for the ages. Thanks to all those who pitched in. I cannot tell you how much my son and I appreciate the outpouring of support we've received. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Be safe out there and we'll see you on the trail soon.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 764449
Congrats on the successful completion of OGG, Doug!

Derek and Lia
OneTonJk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #215 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
Pix. Pix. We want pix. I started this thread, lets finish it proper! Srsly, glad ur all out. Let the repairs begin.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 AM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 698145
Congratulations to all involved. It is so difficult to imagine that amount of snow.

Curious...what issues caused the abandonment of both rigs in the first place?
Tumbleweed44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #217 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
Pix. Pix. We want pix. I started this thread, lets finish it proper! Srsly, glad ur all out. Let the repairs begin.
This! such a badass adventure and recovery, hats off to you guys
Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
Congratulations to all involved. It is so difficult to imagine that amount of snow.
Curious...what issues caused the abandonment of both rigs in the first place?
Sudden snowfall beyond the capabilities of the rigs IIRC

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 559394
We're working on getting pics uploaded. renolaw thank you for the OGG reference and inspiration!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 559394
I rimmed the front tire on the Chevy New Years Day and then spun the POS spare completely off the rim turning around. My boys and I got out that night NP in the XJ. We got the XJ high centered on a rock in deep snow the next day trying to recover the Chevy and hiked out in a blizzard. January Sierra snowfall ended up being the most ever in recorded history.....and then didn't stop for a couple more months.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #221 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
here in Reno it only rained/snowed two times this winter. Once for 29 days and the next for 27 days. Glad ur out of the mess.

Life Member BRC
ECV #3691

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #222 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
here in Reno it only rained/snowed two times this winter. Once for 29 days and the next for 27 days. Glad ur out of the mess.

It certainly felt that way...

Congratulations on the recovery and looking forward to the pictures.

Jack

Last edited by locrwln; 06-19-2017 at 02:10 PM.
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 69199

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 69199

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Very cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.