Bypass Below Gate Keeper - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30586
Bypass Below Gate Keeper

Is the "bypass" below gate keeper a legit bypass? I was that is was not a legal bypass and have always though that it wasn't but when I was up there a few weeks ago I noticed a LOT of people going around gate keeper. I talked to one of the people that was leading a large group and told him that it was not a legal bypass and he gave me the whole I have been coming up here for 15-20 years and have always used it BS. I just wanted to make 100% sure I was right before I say something to someone who can prove the contrary. Just trying to do my part to keep the trail open and give the Eco-Nazis less ammo against us.
rockcrawln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44326
Send a message via ICQ to HackerMania
From what I heard, I think It's getting blocked soon. Damn sheep

Unless I mixing up info again???

Last edited by HackerMania; 07-03-2005 at 01:32 AM.
HackerMania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
The "trail" is through Gatekeeper. The other bypass is across private property and it is my understanding they don't want it used. Please respect private property owner rights.

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17072
Send a message via Yahoo to bearbait
and it was completely blocked off a couple years ago with huge boulders and and now more bypasses to go around them
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26210
Send a message via AIM to GoingOffRoading
Dude if you can't wheel gate keeper then don't bother going through the rest of the trail... I was there last weekend and it's not THAT hard
GoingOffRoading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6170
Gate keepers not that hard at all. In fact I think its easier this year than it has been in previous years. The problem with gate keeper is the bottle neck it creates trying to get off the trail on large weekends. I allways seem to be at the end of a long line of people waiting for some yahoo in a fullsize that just HAD to try it and now its got two broken axles, a broken motor mount and trans mount! Every year! I guess I just can't go on big weekends anymore, oh well.

Anyhow, I think thats why a lot of folks use the illegal bypass. At that point they just want to get out. Not that thats any excuse.

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 993
This isnt a bypass as much as a relief valve for busy weekends. We use it when there is a bottleneck or bringing out a broken rig. No idea about it being private property though.
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 22290
Send a message via AIM to Andy351
[QUOTE=Ghetto FabI allways seem to be at the end of a long line of people waiting for some yahoo in a fullsize that just HAD to try it and now its got two broken axles, a broken motor mount and trans mount! [/QUOTE]
yea, death to all fullsizes!

When people in the Taliban are riding around in better trucks than you, you might have a problem.
Andy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
DLD

Member # 16728
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingOffRoading
Dude if you can't wheel gate keeper then don't bother going through the rest of the trail... I was there last weekend and it's not THAT hard
WOW!
You post that and you sig line has the photos to prove you WRONG?
Looks like it was too hard for your group, I guess you and your friends might be why people want to try to go around!

Nice line NOT!

DLD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 15234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingOffRoading
Ha, try talking doo doo somewhere else poserboy.....

Last edited by cruzila; 07-05-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Bryan C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20
Send a message via Yahoo to MellowYellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Ha, try talking xxxx somewhere else poserboy.....
Please take the trash talk and the trashy language to chit chat. This is not the forum for it.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 49828
Send a message via AIM to JeepJerrySeinfeld Send a message via MSN to JeepJerrySeinfeld Send a message via Yahoo to JeepJerrySeinfeld
The gate keeper on the 24th was a lot easier than the gate keeper on memorial.
Went in through the gate both weekends and there was a huge rock that sat next to tail light tree on mem. day that got winched out of the way.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8469
Send a message via ICQ to jopes Send a message via AIM to jopes Send a message via Yahoo to jopes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab.
Gate keepers not that hard at all. In fact I think its easier this year than it has been in previous years. The problem with gate keeper is the bottle neck it creates trying to get off the trail on large weekends. I allways seem to be at the end of a long line of people waiting for some yahoo in a fullsize that just HAD to try it and now its got two broken axles, a broken motor mount and trans mount! Every year! I guess I just can't go on big weekends anymore, oh well.

Kevo
This would be like saying all the Stock Jeeps are the bypass makers because they are unable to do certian obsticales. It is not the vechiles fault for the driver being ill prepared for the trail or not knowing how to drive the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab.
Anyhow, I think thats why a lot of folks use the illegal bypass. At that point they just want to get out. Not that thats any excuse.

Kevo

If you just want out of the trail then you need to go help the person thats causing the road block.

I will have to say gatekeeper this year was alot easier than last year, my rig is exactly the same as last year only with more dents and rock rash from moonrocks.

Last edited by jopes; 07-05-2005 at 08:35 AM.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 26210
Send a message via AIM to GoingOffRoading
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLD
Nice line NOT!

That's not me, it's a buddy of mine. He's open f/r and that pic was taken after he slid around.... Me personally, I think I made it through without having to put to much effort into it
GoingOffRoading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLD
WOW!
You post that and you sig line has the photos to prove you WRONG?
Looks like it was too hard for your group, I guess you and your friends might be why people want to try to go around!

Nice line NOT!
The real reason people go around is they have not the patience to wait for someone to get through. Nor do they have the willingness to go help the guy and maybe give some kindly pointers "if he/she wants them".

I for one am losing my patience with those that have none and especially those that are out there hindering our (FOTR) effort.

I sit on the Rubicon Oversite Committee and just shake my head at what I am seeing going on from both sides. If we as a 4 wheeling community do not get our collective heads out of our butts, we will be going down if flames and there will be no Rubicon left to enjoy.

After Rubicon, it will be a snap to close more and more. GET IT??? It boils down to simple respect for yourself and others.

Scott
Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 49828
Send a message via AIM to JeepJerrySeinfeld Send a message via MSN to JeepJerrySeinfeld Send a message via Yahoo to JeepJerrySeinfeld
Thier really is no reason to bypass the gate keeper any ways, if its too long of a wait go through went worth. Every body else up thier is waiting to go in too. I personally like it when gate keeper in busy i fun to watch people go through but thier really is no reason to take the bypass and the botton ot the slabs eccept if it was an emergancy situation. that is just my opinion
Old 07-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzila
The real reason people go around is they have not the patience to wait for someone to get through. Nor do they have the willingness to go help the guy and maybe give some kindly pointers "if he/she wants them".

I for one am losing my patience with those that have none and especially those that are out there hindering our (FOTR) effort.

I sit on the Rubicon Oversite Committee and just shake my head at what I am seeing going on from both sides. If we as a 4 wheeling community do not get our collective heads out of our butts, we will be going down if flames and there will be no Rubicon left to enjoy.

After Rubicon, it will be a snap to close more and more. GET IT??? It boils down to simple respect for yourself and others.

Scott

a good point i hiked in and out of Fordyce from the lake down to the river. Most of Saturday afternoon and evening there was a Jeep CJ5 stuck just past the crossing who had gotten a little water in his fuel system easy fix with a little help. I watched alot of rigs pass him and not one offered to help in some way shape or fashion. We all are busy and in a hurry but sometimes slowing down and helping is going to save alot of prolems. unfortunately he ended up with the only person willing to help was someone with a full size dodge. (bad move #2) but at the same time that became a bigger issue because then the dodge broke a tierod down there. The dodge took all morning to get out, by a group of wheelers who took a few hours out of thier day to solve the problem blocking the trail and while they were winching it out rig after rig drove up and around it. while it was being winched instead of waiting 20-30 minutes or offering to help they raced in up and around essentially widening the trail.

"Pull collective heads out of hind ends" slow down offer to help and get that broken rig to a place where he doesnt impead your travels and where he can work on it. leaving em by driving around them and or the famous "your not prepared enough so deal with it on your own" mentality is become a more common attitude especially in recent years.'

That may not be Rubicon talk but i remember in the late ninties when the pirates group did a trail clean up on rubicon and they had a guest in thier group a red and white 1975 or so 440 powered ramcharger with a 44 and 60 sitting on 36's or something like that hauling 8 or so big black bags of garbage and some other junk for them, broke a driveline between sluice and the slabs. I remember the guy came out mad as heck because he had been left behind, fighting his way out all day and needed some winch help getting over a few obsticles at gatekeeper.

the point is it happens all the time everyone is in a big hurry to get somewhere and do something, the trail isnt the spot for the rat race.

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26694
Quote:
"Pull collective heads out of hind ends" slow down offer to help and get that broken rig to a place where he doesnt impead your travels and where he can work on it. "
I typically wheel with the same group of guys and there have been numerous occasions when we have come up on someone who's rig is really FUBARed. Everytime, we have stopped asked if they needed assistance, be it parts,welding, or just a tug or push. We only move on once the person in need says they've got in control.
On more than one occasion, we have turned around prior to GateKeeper to help get someone's broken rig off the trail.
We are supposed to be somewhat of a Brotherhood while out on the trails.
Always remember it could very well be you broken down and in need of some help.
Just my $.02 worth.
CalRocs #515
jeeperrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 792
anyone care to re-validate the conclusion of this thread?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=gatekeeper
Old 07-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Land Use Zeus

Member # 3982
Lower Route around Gatekeeper (below)

The lower route (thru that swampy area) is mostly private property (Mark Smith). However, the runoff and erosion from going thru that unsanctioned (not USFS) bypass, is the water sedimentation that gets in the creek downstream and DOES affect USFS waters and lands. That's why they get touchy. Also there is resource damage going on with folks who don't know the trail and the bypass.....so here again, the feds get worried.

Gatekeeper is the trail. We should go thru it. And I mean thru it, not around it, up and over it, or whatever...but right thru it.
Del

Building an Access Army to Fight Back -- SOLDIER UP
Jeepndel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Actually, the land below belongs to someone else now anyway. Still the silt issue has not changed.
Past President 2010-2012

Quote:
Punctuation eludes you.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
to say it is private property don't drive on it doesn't make much sense - pretty much all of the slabs are private property! Silt issue is a bit better..
Old 07-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 3420
Send a message via ICQ to CrazyHorse Send a message via AIM to CrazyHorse
The only time I have taken this route out was last summer, after my engine scattered at spider lake, and we were having to tow it out on a strap, we decided that gatekeeper and the gatorpit would be more than a little interesting with no power or power steering
[URL="http://www.beniciacabinetry.com"][B]Benicia Cabinetry, Inc.[/B][/URL]
CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 3420
Send a message via ICQ to CrazyHorse Send a message via AIM to CrazyHorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknutz
Mckinstry is also a great way to get a damaged rig off the trail and in fact is far easier then Gatekeper or the lower bypass. This is the other end of the Ellis creek OHV trail and exits Ellis creek campground to the northwest side and kinda up by the new pit toilet placement. It puts you out the same road as you entered if going the Wentworth Springs route. Is on up past Wentworth Springs Road where you cut off pavement.

PJ
Isnt it a bit of a tow with a green stickered rig towing a broken one back to the trailers at loon though?
[URL="http://www.beniciacabinetry.com"][B]Benicia Cabinetry, Inc.[/B][/URL]
CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
yea, it is - been there done that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.