Pirate 4x4 banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad experience at Loon

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  k5chevyblazer 
#1 · (Edited)
I am all for keeping the Rubicon Trail open to the public, But after spending the weekend on the North side of Loon lake a few weeks ago with my family, I can see where it's gonna be a problem.
I have never had the displeasure of being around such a bunch of ill mannered rude people as I encountered that weekend.
First off, who decided the dam was a drag strip? every time I drove across the dam some punk was either tailgating me or passing, putting a cloud of dust in the air, which was visable from across the lake all weekend, and the paved areas were a road coarse? People playing loud music all night long, gun shots at 3 am?
One group that was camped right at the end of the pavement was, in my opinion, the worst. they hung a big banner in the tree at the entrance to there camp that said "something extreme". I cant remember the first part.
But what a bunch of asshats!
It's people like them that will eventually get the Con closed to all of us.
Maybe a pay to play rule for the con would be a help in keeping these idiots home where they belong. In stead of letting them run a muck like teenagers with the keys to the liquer cabnet and Moms Wrangler.

#3 ·
Same in the springs

My wife and I had the same experience at Rubicon Springs a few weeks ago. Some guy was camped about 50 yards away lighting off fire bombs in his camp. Maybe we need El Dorado county to patrol a little more frequently. :flipoff2:

#4 ·
Any chance you took pictures of the offenders?

For future reference, take pictures of the offense, the driver, the license plate and the rig itself. Then send them to Del Albright (delalbright.com or RubiconTrail.com) with a good description of what happened, when it happened and where it happened. He has tracked down more than one badguy weeks after the offense.

El Dorado County is falling in thier efforts to patrol the trail and enforce the law. El Dorado National Forest is just as bad when it comes to enforcement. We as users need to step up and protect our trail.

Doug

#5 ·
Sorry, No pics were taken. The group that was mentioned above that was camped at the end of the pavement was "Hangtown Extreme". the guy with the silver tube buggy on 38s or 40s was the main asshat I saw first hand being so offensive.

#6 ·
All of the guys that complain, I just dont understand why cant you get a PICTURE (Pretend you want to take a picture of their badass rig or something). I know people are rude, and trust they are going to continue to be until they get into trouble. They cant get into trouble unless you report them.
I just get tired of hearing about how they were so rude but yet I didnt do anything about but complain on PBB when I got home. :(

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
k5chevyblazer said:
All of the guys that complain, I just dont understand why cant you get a PICTURE (Pretend you want to take a picture of their badass rig or something). I know people are rude, and trust they are going to continue to be until they get into trouble. They cant get into trouble unless you report them.
I just get tired of hearing about how they were so rude but yet I didnt do anything about but complain on PBB when I got home. :(
First of all, edit by cruzila

cruzila said:
FJ Dave, you need to go back and read the rules of this forum. (read no foul language) I am trying to keep this thread alive as it has some good info in it, but if it becomes-too much for me I just get rid of it.

Also, try to be more informed as to who you blast here. TDO did a fine job of raising alot of money for the Trail this weekend. Unfortunately, they have little control over who shows up for this sort of thing.

As stated before, and if you do a little search here, you will find that many people have whined here over the last couple years. I personally will get in someones face about stupid actions. I will take pictues and turn the suckers in too. By the way, I can process any violators anyone wants to turn in. Being as I am so tired of it I have not a little passion for it.

Rant as you will but keep it civil

Scott

#8 ·
So I suppose actually doing something and raising $$ for the 'con instead of just bitching about it makes you a hypocrit. Yep. I'm sure it does.

So Dave, what have you DONE to make things better, other than complaining here? Did you at least confront these people?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
FJ_Dave said:
First of all, edited by cruzila!
It wasn't a personal attack Dave. We hear about this CRAP all the time. It's tough though because nothing ever happens unless we can get pics. We talk about it here all the time too so that's why K5 is frustrated.

You can search and I'm sure you will come up with quite a few posts about how busy weekends are... Let's say, not quiet relaxing weekends. Though I do have to say this was very slow for a Labor Day weekend. I do want to make a point also that the busy weekend thing happens everywhere so you have to understand that this is not a quiet relaxing type of Holliday in general. Lakes are all full of boats, dunes are all full of bikes, rails, and RV's, every campground in the country is booked full, backyards are full of BBQ'n friends and families, etc,. Heck, beleive it or not, traffic was even bad on Friday with people going to all these places :D

So we can't have our cake and eat it. It was a good fun weekend. We weren't at work. We were with our friends and/or family. Life was pretty darn good.

I do agree though that the fawker who pulled the trigger on an entire clip (especially on such a busy weekend) should have been visited by darwin! I mean, the dude may have been an expert marksmen shooting into a safe target, but my friends, there kids and I had no idea who it was or how safe they were or weren't.

#10 ·
Followup... I just noticed that you said your visit was a few weekends ago NOT over the busy weekend. My point still stands though about having to get pics and stuff so I'll leave my post unedited.

I hope you have a better experience next time. It really is great most of the time. :beer:

#11 ·
mike said:
So I suppose actually doing something and raising $$ for the 'con instead of just bitching about it makes you a hypocrit. Yep. I'm sure it does.

So Dave, what have you DONE to make things better, other than complaining here? Did you at least confront these people?
As I stated, this was my first trip to the area, So no, I haven't done anything for the cause.
As for confronting these people, I'm sure "you'd" just drive into a camp full of drunken idiots and tell em all about what you see em doing wrong right??? Great plan.

You can sell all the tacos you want, I commend you for your efforts, but as long as john Q public see's these people as represenatives of our sport, we are all gonna get a bad rap.
So have another taco, and get off my back.

#12 ·
FJ_Dave said:
As I stated, this was my first trip to the area, So no, I haven't done anything for the cause.
As for confronting these people, I'm sure "you'd" just drive into a camp full of drunken idiots and tell em all about what you see em doing wrong right??? Great plan.

You can sell all the tacos you want, I commend you for your efforts, but as long as john Q public see's these people as represenatives of our sport, we are all gonna get a bad rap.

Helpful hint: Run the Rubicon during the week. Weekends are asshat conventions. I wish it were different, but right now that's how it works.

Even better, run a peaceful, scenic trail like Dusy Ershim. The asshat factor is very low over there.

Later,
....Mike

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
FJ_Dave said:
edited
I'll bet that in itself would help all the way around......
I may be biased, but I didn't think he gave you "sh!te" (no cussing in this forum). Email and web posts are tough because it's so easy to mis-interpret what a person is trying to convey.

Maybe I am wrong, he's a grown man and will speak for himself, but I really think he was speaking about the situation, not the person. :beer:

#15 ·
Well then lets just agree to disagree then, cause I took offense to quite a few remarks here. Most of them were from disfunctionals stepping up to defend there buddys.
Your fight is not with me, you're all acting like sierra clubbers that just happen to wheel. Being nazi's is being nazi's, no matter what you're fighting for.

#16 ·
FJ_Dave said:

Actually I was up there that weekend, but I went to spider area. If you camp by a PAVED road do you really think it's gonna be quiet? There are other spots around Loon to camp for peace and quiet.
You could have went down to the Ranger station and made a complaint, but you didn't. Instead you are on PBB complaining :rolleyes:

#18 ·
FJ_Dave said:
Well then lets just agree to disagree then, cause I took offense to quite a few remarks here. Most of them were from disfunctionals stepping up to defend there buddys.
Your fight is not with me, you're all acting like sierra clubbers that just happen to wheel. Being nazi's is being nazi's, no matter what you're fighting for.
No offense, but after years of posts exactly like this and this past weeks whining about Katrina I have lost 100% of my patience with people who are willing to complain, but unwilling to put up to change things. Ya wanna pitch in, thats awesome... you're welcome to do so. Ya don't, well.. then you don't have much room in my opinion for ripping into people. Period. Get it?

oh and for what it's worth, I have walked into a camp of drunken idiots and called them on it. :D

#19 · (Edited)
FJ_Dave said:
Gee, another disfunctional voice...... Next????

Those Tacos this weekend were awesome.

Come on out next labor day weekend. Enjoy the tacos, raise some money to keep these clowns out of there and the trail open, stay into saturday night while we all watch movies by the kiosk.

Get involved into this forum and see how simple things can be done to remove these clowns from the area.

#21 ·
Next thing I know about for certain is a Fordyce cleanup put on by the Four Dice club outa San Jose. that's Oct 1st at 8am at the Cisco Grove camp ground.

#24 ·
The fire bomb idiot

Well for what it's worth, the idiot I spoke of who was lighting off fire bombs in his camp in the springs broke his steering on his white Yota on the way up caddy at the end of the weekend. KHARMA RULES. :flipoff2:

#25 ·
FJ_Dave said:
I would love to get involved, please let me know when and where, and I will do my best to help out.
Wow, looks like you and a few of my brothers have been going at it- that's great! I love to see people get fired up over protecting the trail and surrounding areas;)

The line I quoted is what we need from everyone that wants to protect our right to access the trail and keep it open for future generations. I'm truly sorry you first experience turned out sour and now I would encourage you to get involved and visit www.friendsoftherubicon.com and register as a member so you get all the up to date info about work parties and trail issues. I'd be happy to work along side you anytime :cool2:

#26 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.