Pirate 4x4 banner

Monuments and Signs...

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mucknet 
#1 ·
Brandon has some great pix that I have borrowed from a different post....

Brandon said:
memorial #3

memorial #4

nice.. scenic.. signs. Might as well put a railing up on both sides of the trail.

#2 ·
First, the monuments...

Though I entirely understand the desire to be remembered or perhaps remain forever in a place of such beauty, it is beyond me why people insist on cluttering up our public lands with monuments. :(

A poor comparison, perhaps, but I've scattered my dog's ashes near Spider Lake, Meadow Lake, and more, but not genned up a sign for him. Sure, I'd enjoy it, as perhaps might the many people who thought he was a bear ambling into their camp for a snack, but though we pay taxes on it and have a right to access it, does any one of us -- or a group of us -- have the right to post up a headstone, cross, or otherwise?

Please, folks, if you choose to remember your friends on the trail, do so without adding to the trend of such monuments. The person being remembered most likely loved the view as it was, without a crop of markers.

FWIW, I believe that Sid's Grave, down near Rubicon Springs, lies in private land.

Randii

#3 · (Edited)
Now the rest of the signs...

I don't like 'em. Not one bit.

Yet I understand the need for such signs around closed public property (hate the closure, not the signs) and certainly around inheld private parcels, especially considering the hard use such land has seen.

Rubicon threads its way through private and public lands, riding a 50-foot right-of-way most of the way. If we as users can't become more responsible for minimizing our impact and policing our own, we'll be left with a 50-foot lane and wall-to-wall No Tresspassing signs. :( :mad3: :(

Please note that I said "minimizing our impact" and NOT reducing our numbers. I strongly believe that we can continue to grow the hobby and even increase traffic *IF* we can continue to work the education and enforcement, continue to pack out ALL of what we may carry in (including poop and any vehicle spills), and continue to stay ON the increasingly well-marked trail.

Randii (whose goal is as few signs as possible, but as many as necessary)

#4 ·
I am colecting all the monument sign pics :)
I know there is one on that road to Auburn jeep club camp, does anyone know anyone in that club who can take a pic? I belive its all private land back there

#5 · (Edited)
is that the privated drive one? Where is their camp? Yea, there was a sign on nearly every tree. It reminded me of the hooplah over the signs on the cypress that have all been taken down. Atleast that was only one tree... Although I agree it is private land, it's like buying property next a race track and closing the race track. My gawd, you bought the land knowing it's use - live with it. I hate the signs, hence the reason for taking them. I should have taken a pic of every single one - probably over 500 of them on the entire trail.

And I knew Randii would pipe up over this one, part of why I posted em ;)

BTW, I don't mind the monuments one bit. Makes you treasure life a bit more. I had never noticed that one high up on the rock before - anyone know the story behind it? Honestly the ONLY one I know the story to is the Muncus one - because I was there and went to his funeral.

You forgot this one Randii ;)

#6 ·
The cross made out of leaf springs belongs to Simon Schranz. He went to my high school. He loved wheeling. He was a nice guy that died to early. He was hit by a car on his dirtbike head on a couple years ago. It was the year after he graduated. a couple of my buddies have a "I Miss Simon" sticker on there trucks. My eyes teared up the first time i saw that cross.

#7 ·
Hyena said:
The cross made out of leaf springs belongs to Simon Schranz. He went to my high school. He loved wheeling. He was a nice guy that died to early. He was hit by a car on his dirtbike head on a couple years ago. It was the year after he graduated. a couple of my buddies have a "I Miss Simon" sticker on there trucks. My eyes teared up the first time i saw that cross.

born in 85?

#9 ·
Brandon said:
is that the privated drive one? Where is their camp? Yea, there was a sign on nearly every tree. It reminded me of the hooplah over the signs on the cypress that have all been taken down. Atleast that was only one tree... Although I agree it is private land, it's like buying property next a race track and closing the race track. My gawd, you bought the land knowing it's use - live with it. I hate the signs, hence the reason for taking them. I should have taken a pic of every single one - probably over 500 of them on the entire trail.

And I knew Randii would pipe up over this one, part of why I posted em ;)

BTW, I don't mind the monuments one bit. Makes you treasure life a bit more. I had never noticed that one high up on the rock before - anyone know the story behind it? Honestly the ONLY one I know the story to is the Muncus one - because I was there and went to his funeral.

You forgot this one Randii ;)
I think you are confusing the AJC property with the Rubicon Trail Partnership. AJC has a metal gate leading to their property. The Rubicon Trail Partnership has way over 400 acres next to Spider and down to almost the Old Sluice. Due to the tearing up of the land near spider, that area is closed to the public now. Next time you are up there, walk in and visit Merlin and he would most likely be glad to show you why it was closed.

The signs are to keep out people that think they can "get away" with still going in there. It is "still" happening and the ENF is helping to enforce this. I suggest if there ever is to be a hope of accessing this land we respect those signs.

scott

#12 ·
RDUB29 said:
Who's Merlin? sorry never heard of him
Merlin (scotty) was the caretaker at Rubicon Springs for years. He is one of the property owners and is now camped out at the private land around Spider.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.