Pirate 4x4 banner

Chuck Walker (Walker Hill) Passed away.

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  tunaman 
#1 ·
Just wanted to let you guys know that my neighbor and friend Chuck Walker Passed away this past Wednesday. Walker Hill on the trail got its name from him. He worked on many, many Jamborees and this was his spot. If I recall correctly Chuck told me he had only missed two Jamborees in the last 50 years. I will miss dropping in on him to give him trail reports when returning home from a fun weekend of wheeling. Anyway next time you travel up Walker hill take a second and think of Chuck, He was a wonderful man.

WALKER, Charles R.
In Sacramento, on September 7, 2005. He was a native Sacramentan, age 82. He was in the US Coast Guard, served in WWII and loved this country and what it stands for. But more than any other thing, he will be remembered for the incredible love and devotion shown to his wife Pat. His wonderful caring for her during her 15 years with Alzheimer's was and is an inspiration to us all. Dad, Goodbye for now! He now joins his beloved wife, the late Patricia M. Walker and is lovingly survived by his children, Robert Walker, Patricia Copus, Katie Walker, Mary Butera and Barbara Schuh, as well as their respective spouses, Deborah Walker, William Copus, Robert Butera and Daniel Schuh. He was the beloved brother of Robert Walker, Amos Walker, Jeanie Walker and Gerald Walker. He was proud of his seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren and will be deeply missed. Friends are welcome to attend a Rosary on Mon. Sept. 12 at 5:00pm at W.F. Gormley & Sons Chapel, 2015 Capitol Ave. A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered for the repose of his soul on Tuesday 9/13 at 10:00am at St. Robert Church, 2243 Irvin Way. Interment will follow at St. Mary's Cemetery. Remembrances in his honor may be directed to the National Wildlife Federation, 11100 Wildlife Center Drive, Reston, VA 20190-5362
Published in the Sacramento Bee on 9/9/2005.

See less See more
#8 ·
Not to change the subject, but I was kinda debating with somone - how much of the hill is truly called "Walker Hill"?

I figured it was from the bottom to the very top - all of the links I posted above but I've been told otherwise..

#13 ·
R.I.P Mr. Walker. Thank you for all you have done.

I ran the con over labor day and on the way up on 9-2-05, 3 of us were at a gas station outside of Sac and a guy walked up and asked if we were headed to the Rubicon? We said yes and he then asked if we knew Chuck, since none of us knew him personally we replied no. The guy advised he was his grandson or another relative and that Chuck was a life long Jeeper who was involved with the Rubicon. We were all like, that where the name Walker Rock / hill came from. He proceeded to tell us he was on his way to visit him as he was not doing too well. We all asked that he pass along some good wishes and that we would be thinking about him on the trail.

My first beer was dedicated to him.
Cheers....

#14 ·
Chuck was involved with the Sacramento Jeepers and the Sierra treasure Hunters. I spoke with the family about a plaque and they seemed very interested and enthused about the idea. They have my number and I told them I would be more than willing to help/head up the project. I am going to try and get in contact with the Sac Jeepers and see if they don't already have this in the works. Randii I did read your thread on memorials on the trail but this seems to be very appropriate. As always feel free to call me if you want to discuss this further.

#15 ·
I always like going in wentworth because if feels like your going back into history - plaques to me would be a good thing. Maybe more of a plaque like you find on a historical monument than a simple cross though..

Even the state quit using bronze because people steal em. They make them from plastic now, I can't see how they could cost that much..

#16 · (Edited)
Curly said:
Randii I did read your thread on memorials on the trail but this seems to be very appropriate. As always feel free to call me if you want to discuss this further.
I have no problems with memorials or changes along the trail as long as they are routed through a public approval process. It is public land, and IMHO, nobody ought a change it without consulting the owners.

IMHO, a plaque in the right-of-way makes good sense, and could be easily approved in the Rubicon Oversight Committee.

Randii

#18 ·
My father wheeled with Mr. Walker a few times in the early 80's with me in the back of a CJ-3B (I think I was about 4 or 5 then, don't remember of course). From my father and I both, R.I.P. Chuck.

#19 ·
I worked with Chuck at Jamboree in his last years as a rockroller, and saw him up there many times after that. He was still having his grandson take him over the whole trail and staying in the springs for jamboree just two or three years ago, I think, in his nearly stock brown CJ-7. He was always a pleasant guy and loved to see new folks enjoying his trail. He was ALWAYS good for a handshake, a warm smile and a big "Hello". I'm sad to hear he's gone.

The Rubicon will miss him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.