Pirate 4x4 banner

Names of places on the Trail

6K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  arcthedog 
#1 ·
Post up any names of memorable places on the trail here. Post Pics if you got them.

The first would be gatekeeper.
The Granite Bowl
Ellis Creek
Is there a name for the first hard spot past Ellis? The one with the bypass by the steep face on the left?
Walker Rock, Walker Hill
Soup Bowl
Little Sluice
Arnolds Rock
Chappies Rock
Buck Island Dam
Kaufmans Corner
Old Sluice, True Big Sluice, Big 'ol Sluice
Big Sluice
Cadillac Hill
Overlook or Observation, we used to call it the "Parking lot in the sky" too.
Bottom Dollar Hole
Barker cutoff, first and second one.

#3 ·
Grave markers...Does that have a name?
The by-pass to the right up the wall in Little Sluice...Heard: Chicken rock, Toyota hill...others
Pirate Camp at sluice
I call the area just past gatekeeper the swamp

#6 ·
NOTPRETTY said:
Grave markers...Does that have a name?
That'll always be 'Syd's Grave' to me. :cool2:
NOTPRETTY said:
I call the area just past gatekeeper the swamp
For a while, wasn't that the 'Alligator Pit' before the trail was rerouted a little higher?

Where was 'Car Wash?'

Old Sluice = True Sluice = Flatfender Alley

Randii

#7 ·
Brandon said:
I don't know these by name..
me neither, anyone got pics of those spots?

does the the steep descent about 1-200 yards after Little Sluice have a name? It's got a real easy bypass that goes way around to the right...

here's a picture going up on the far right side (driving towards Loon)

Attachments

#9 ·
Not on the trail, but we've called Sourdough mountain overlooking the Con -"Top Of The World" for 20 years...I didn't even know the hill's real name till last year.

I have a lot of them mapped out in 3D and Satellite.

http://www.atvobsession.com/rubicon.html

#10 ·
BrettM said:
me neither, anyone got pics of those spots?

does the the steep descent about 1-200 yards after Little Sluice have a name? It's got a real easy bypass that goes way around to the right...

here's a picture going up on the far right side (driving towards Loon)
Thousand Dollar Hill

#11 ·
Brandon said:
I don't know these by name..
Originally Posted by cruzila
Walker Rock = Walker Hill
Arnolds Rock = On the Slabs between (Indian Trail) and Thousand Dollar
Chappies Rock = Flat rock in Old Sluice
Kaufmans Corner = After Buck Island
Bottom Dollar Hole = Before the last hard spot going to Miller (was the big mud hole this year on top) CA4Wheel helped fix the big hole above it 20? years ago
Barker cutoff, first and second one. = Barker Pass is on top before Miller Lake

#13 ·
The granite slabs well above Cadillac I've heard as Helicopter Flat or Airport Flat.

I've always called the big granite slab at the base of Cadillac as the driveway but I don't think anyone else does.

The rock hill before Bottom Dollar Hole is the Potato Patch.

?????????

#17 ·
BURNT ROCK

los hooligan's

This spot is my groups exclusive name we made it up last year after a bad 3 days of a bunch of broken parts, in fact every vehicle in our group of 7 was broken at the same time and the only place we could get ever body was a spot we fondly named " burnt rock" its a camp ground looking over the bowl on the wentworth spring entrance about 50 ft before it meets the loon lake entrance. It was a cold night and we could not get any thing to go right but about 10 pm we found the spot and while freezing our but off we lit a fire on a make newly made but safe fire pit and stayed thier all weekend till we fix our vehicle and could every bod out on our own power so i would like every body to consider " BURNT ROCK" one of my rubicon places.

#19 ·
Timmy's Wash

The Spot after the climb up Walker, level spot with drop off on passenger side. Named after the incident in this pic. No name dropping here. :flipoff2:

Timmy's Wash

#21 ·
Hyena said:
There is the other V-Rock in between Spider and Little Sluice. But it is closed off now.
Not the best picture.

I have to tell you that the driving in that small area right there, most likely, is what got Spider closed. I just did a walking tour with some FS people and that is the impression I got.

#22 · (Edited)
Curly said:
The Spot after the climb up Walker, level spot with drop off on passenger side. Named after the incident in this pic. No name dropping here. :flipoff2:

Timmy's Wash
There was a new rock that fell in there a couple years ago. I broke my transfer case trying to move some of it to make it a little better. :mad3:

One of the Spider Lake property owners wanted a "rock" so some of the Jeep crew decided to call it Nobies Rock. After Noble Sprunger.

Timmy's wash is cool :cool2:

Attachments

#23 ·
cruzila said:
I have to tell you that the driving in that small area right there, most likely, is what got Spider closed. I just did a walking tour with some FS people and that is the impression I got.

I don't know where that is exactly but once again, darn people hurtin them rocks!

How in the world is that bad? Explique por favor

#24 ·
Brandon said:
How in the world is that bad? Explique por favor
Damn Frenchie! :flipoff2:

That whole ridge was covered with greenery in the mid-90's.

Randii

#26 ·
randii said:
That'll always be 'Syd's Grave' to me. :cool2:

For a while, wasn't that the 'Alligator Pit' before the trail was rerouted a little higher?

Randii
Yep I've heard alligator pit too. In fact that might be more accurate than the swamp.

Marlon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.