Pirate 4x4 banner

fire restrictions

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Todd W 
#1 ·
Newbie question but curious are the restrictions on campfires remain in effect all year or untlil a certain date. Thanks

#2 ·
get a permit

fire restrictions are weather depentant if you have a permit you should have been told to check with the forest service before camping. Restrictions are usualy from august until late october or early november. stop by the info center at clevland coral, pacific ranger station, or crystal info. or the closest ranger station to the area you are going.

#3 ·
It seems that fire restrictions are ignored by most people. I've been up to the rubicon a few times during the restrictions and just about every camp site has a fire. What is the deal? I know the fine is pretty severe, but it must not be enforced seeing how many people do it anyway.

#5 ·
KingTJ said:
Was just at the con last weekend. At least 10 fires goin around sluice, was surprised not to see any law around due to the fact it was an event weekend for marlin crawl i think at the springs. Heard the fine was $250 or somthing for every person sitting at a camp fire
OUCH!

I was just wondering "how are they going to know whose fire it is? what if everyone denies that they made it?"

oh well, the Rubicon would REALLY suck if there were no trees, so it's all worth it.

#6 ·
KingTJ said:
Was just at the con last weekend. At least 10 fires goin around sluice, was surprised not to see any law around due to the fact it was an event weekend for marlin crawl i think at the springs. Heard the fine was $250 or somthing for every person sitting at a camp fire
Saw two different camps with fires at Rubicon Springs, after everyone was told that fires were not allowed.

Didn't see any law enforcement Friday through Sunday. Not sure how enforcement works on private property though.

Later,
....Mike
http://www.toy4x4.net/

#11 ·
you will be able to get a fire permit, but with it being so dry up there my guess is the only thing they will alow burning up there is propane stoves still.

#13 ·
The forest service is serious about fire restrictions. Last year at Barret we go cited. I had a permit and was off hiking to the plane wreck. We had one guy in camp. No one saw the "no fires" sign on the way in, and no I did not check before we went camping. A ranger walked in from Wrights Lake Saturday morning and felt our fire pit. The fire was 100% out, but she could feel slight warmth and gave us a ticket. I believe it was close to $300 which luckily we were able to split among a lot of us.

Bottom line - they have fire restrictions for a reason. Know when they are in effect and obey them. We were at Barrett over Labor Day with restrictions in place. Others we were having fires and we told them what happened the year prior. They blew us off. For what it is worth, 80% if the camps had no fires.

You think driving in a meadow will get a trail closed. Imagine what would happen if a four wheeler caused a major fire. Trails closed.........

#16 ·
I believe it was about $270. I guess that ranger lady had a reputation. We were camping at Loon later that year for our "kids on the con" trip. We were camping in the trees by the campground by the dam (in the good old days when you still could. We new we could not have fires and didn't. A different cool ranger came by to make sure we new the rules. He said the lady at Wright's Lake has a chip on he shoulder, but then again she we broke the law and paid the price.

I have had similar experiences with game wardens. I have met a few who were just looking for a violation (which they never found). This year while deer hunting at off the Strawberry Trail by Cables Lake I met a very cool warden. I got a deer in Meisses Meadow and had to bone it out to get the meat out. He actually hiked in with me and helped me out. Nice to know there are cool law enforcement people out there. They have a tough job, and we all know there are those out there that make their job tougher.

#17 ·
mbrink said:
I believe it was about $270. I guess that ranger lady had a reputation. We were camping at Loon later that year for our "kids on the con" trip. We were camping in the trees by the campground by the dam (in the good old days when you still could. We new we could not have fires and didn't. A different cool ranger came by to make sure we new the rules. He said the lady at Wright's Lake has a chip on he shoulder, but then again she we broke the law and paid the price.

I have had similar experiences with game wardens. I have met a few who were just looking for a violation (which they never found). This year while deer hunting at off the Strawberry Trail by Cables Lake I met a very cool warden. I got a deer in Meisses Meadow and had to bone it out to get the meat out. He actually hiked in with me and helped me out. Nice to know there are cool law enforcement people out there. They have a tough job, and we all know there are those out there that make their job tougher.
FYI- You can still camp in the trees just not park/drive under them.

(Same thing happened at Union valley Resevor years ago and they ended up making it a paved camp ground, and a paved road around the entire lake... I doubt this will happen at loon but it's not like the dirt under the trees has bushes currently...*yes it probably did but they have been gone a LONG time*)

Like you we have met some nice rangers and some not so nice nit-picky ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.