Pirate 4x4 banner

Dusy-Ershim - Rubicon Needs this kind of attention

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  4x4Poet 
#1 ·
Last weekend, 8 of us took our ATV's to the Dusy-Ershim trail for the first time.

I have to say, my first impression was good and sad, all the same time. It was VERY CLEAR that the Dusy trail had much more attention by the FS and by the locals.

The area through Dusy Creek was amazing. All the Log bridges were awesome, and also more fun than just runnin' through a little creek. The care and time that was put into building them, was impressive.

The second thing I noticed. NO BYPASSES!! The trail was the trail. Period. While clearly the Dusy doesn't have as difficult sections (aside from Thompson), people respected the trail and stayed on it. Bravo.

Trash. There was NONE. There was no crap, parts, cans, plastic bottles...etc. The couple cans I saw over the 22 miles (Courtright to Ershim Lake), I picked up....but clearly...people were very tidy.

Dispersion. The trail was DISPERSED!! There wasn't a crap load of people all crammed into one spot....they used the trail!

Services. At Ershim and Courtright had Compost toilets. I wish this would be done on the Rubicon.

Overall....There was clear management on the trail...and there was definitely more respect to the trail there. We need to work hard to get that back.

See less See more
#3 ·
Rollie said:
I think thats because the can get vehicles in there. Their ony means of geting in to rubicon is two feet

I dont understand what you mean by two feet I was there a couple of weeks ago and drove my rig thru the Rubicon. :laughing: Access thru Dusy is the same as the Con. I think theres three reasons why the trails around here are the way they are;First theres alot of people in this area that help maintain Dusy. Second people seem to police themselves better. Third theres only about a tenth of the traffic on the Dusy.

atvobsession said:
Trash. There was NONE. There was no crap, parts, cans, plastic bottles...etc. The couple cans I saw over the 22 miles (Courtright to Ershim Lake), I picked up....but clearly...people were very tidy.
Thanks atvobsession for picking up the trash you came across thats another reason the trails like the Dusy are the way they are.

#5 ·
Radbassist said:
The Rubicon was pretty clean last weekend....It has been A LOT worse.....
We're getting better it seems.......

I agree....if you saw my previous Trail Patrol posts...it is better this year.

I guess....I should be happy with Crawl, Walk, Run.......

#6 ·
atvobsession said:
I agree....if you saw my previous Trail Patrol posts...it is better this year.

I guess....I should be happy with Crawl, Walk, Run.......
Next year I'm sure it will be even better. Too many people are pissed off and will say something to the litterers...

The only thing I saw on my weekend run that was a "violation" was guys on M/C's running in the bushes....and yes, we yelled at him.

#7 · (Edited)
All I can say is IMHO the fight at the Con is just beginning. We have a long way to go, and once again IMO a short time to get there.

The numbers may be down but I have yet to make a trip where I didn't have to pick up a ton of cans and other trash. I have yet to make a trip where I didn't encounter some sort of off trail activity i.e. the showboat line.

And once again this year I have witnessed some of the most retarded antics I have ever seen on a TV or in a movie and this was all on the trail???? Stupid people doing stupid things. Just seems like those with a level head are far and few between.

I don't know that I will make it up much more this year, but next year I am going to film and help prosecute at least one ass wipe! This is my goal, someone told me this weekend that all we need to do is bust a few chumps and make sure that they get fined!! Then we can hang some signs on either end of the trail with a nice BEWARE message and advertise how we deal with idiots and showboats!!

So watch out asswipes, the dude filming you may be the dude turning you in!!!

I for ONE have completely had it with the way things are going. Now I am going to do something about it! :mad3:

#8 ·
Dusy is a very nice trail. i was just up there with 2 buddy's about 3-4 week's ago and the trail was very clean like atvobsession had mentioned. the trail had traffic but it was'nt what i expected it was pretty light. over the night we saw about 6 group's of rig's maybe 4-7 rig's a piece. we did'nt do the whole trail but the last 5 miles of the trail the only thing we saw as far as trash was a couple of tire weights and a couple of little broken pieces of someone rig. we grab that stuff up on the way and other than that it was pretty much like atvobsession said. i cant wait to go again hopefully before the snow..

#11 ·
atvobsession said:
Last weekend, 8 of us took our ATV's to the Dusy-Ershim trail for the first time.

I have to say, my first impression was good and sad, all the same time. It was VERY CLEAR that the Dusy trail had much more attention by the FS and by the locals.

The second thing I noticed. NO BYPASSES!! The trail was the trail. Period. While clearly the Dusy doesn't have as difficult sections (aside from Thompson), people respected the trail and stayed on it. Bravo.

Dispersion. The trail was DISPERSED!! There wasn't a crap load of people all crammed into one spot....they used the trail!

Services. At Ershim and Courtright had Compost toilets. I wish this would be done on the Rubicon.

Overall....There was clear management on the trail...and there was definitely more respect to the trail there. We need to work hard to get that back.
Ran Dusy and Swamp for the first times the week before Labor day and have to agree 100%. The other thing that stood out was the lack of others on the trail. We saw no one. In four and a half days of wheeling...not another person. Truly amazing. Granted it was midweek..but still. I cannot say that about Rubicon or Fordyce

#13 ·
atvobsession said:

The area through Dusy Creek was amazing. All the Log bridges were awesome, and also more fun than just runnin' through a little creek. The care and time that was put into building them, was impressive.

The Dusy Trail is very long and very remote compared to the Rubicon. It attracts the type of people who want to camp, wheel, fish, and enjoy the scenery, not the type of people who only want to head up for a day, party, and smash their junk on an easily accessible obstacle (little sluice).

Everyone you run into on the Dusy trail is very cool and laid back. Chances are high that you will run into a number of idiots on the Rubicon on any given trip.

It gets very little traffic compared to the Rubicon, and is very well maintained by the 4WD club of Fresno.

They are very different trails that attract wheelers with very different objectives.

Later,
....Mike
http://www.toy4x4.net/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.