Pirate 4x4 banner

Rubicon 1976

9K views 57 replies 39 participants last post by  Fman 
#1 ·
Here are a few pics from a friend of mine.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Look at the bushes at sluice back then. Especially around the base of the tree. I'd like to see a picture in 66. It is safe to say the impact on and near the trail is rising dramatically. Should the goal be to return the trail to these conditions...rehab it? Or should it be to stop future damage and maintain what remains. To rehab it to these conditions would take drastic restrictions.

#9 ·
cruzila said:
Ok, I identified most of them but where is this?
Scott that looks like a spot on the way to Old Sluice from Spider. Pretty close to the last split to the slabs before you hit OS

#12 · (Edited)
Fun pics! It's amazing to see so many near stock CJs and FJs on stock springs or mild lifts with little body armor, wide bumpers, <32" tires and no major damage. Outside of LS, the trail wasn't that much easier than today.

Those were the days. Travel the trail to enjoy rockcrawling and to get up in the High Sierra Mtns instead of to see how awesome your latest extreme mods will make you look to the obnoxious vultures at the *Show*.

#16 ·
I know several people who used to do the "Con" back in the 60's and early 70's and they all had stock CJ-5's and about 31 inch tires. Just verify's the importance of the person behind the wheel. My biggest fear is as we get ultra extreame, we in fact may be shooting ourselves in the foot, not that we are wrong, but because of the potential negative press. On the Rubicon, perhaps charging a fee to travel may be the only final solution to help fund the trail's remaining open, and finance some trail maintainence.

#25 ·
I always thought Chappie's was the big one further down where Gene used to rock-roll...I also remember him rockrolling the turn at the top of the new big sluice.

"Bronco Rock" was the one that is right before the slab bypass of the old sluice, where an early Bronco burned to the ground there in the early eighties. It belonged to a guy that managed 4 wheel parts in oakland at the time...can't remember his name, but I think he is in upper management there now

#26 ·
resqme said:
I always thought Chappie's was the big one further down where Gene used to rock-roll...I also remember him rockrolling the turn at the top of the new big sluice.

"Bronco Rock" was the one that is right before the slab bypass of the old sluice, where an early Bronco burned to the ground there in the early eighties. It belonged to a guy that managed 4 wheel parts in oakland at the time...can't remember his name, but I think he is in upper management there now
Yep, that would be Rip! I knew him when he was still working at the Oakland store. Damn nice EB he had too:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.