Pirate 4x4 banner

Im goin to do the rubicon in june, wut to expect.

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  86Yota4.70 
#1 ·
Ok, im building up my blazer this year its my senior year and im goin to leave for the rubicon trail the week after i graduate so its around like june 10th 2006, wut should i expect like weather wise up there? is it a must to go with a bunch of other people? how long will it take me to complete it? i wanna take my time and stay a camp out if i can and i wnana try almost all of it that i can do. thanks in advance.

-Thomas

#4 ·
It sounds like you have not spent any time in the high country. It is a wonderful place to go, that is for sure. However, if you get stuck out there in a broken rig by yourself it can be miserable. What is the rig going to be set up like?? A blaser is a big heavy rig to be on the Rubicon. You may be getting in over your head there. I have seen a guy in a Blaser turn around after going 100 feet!!!

Most trail rigs are smaller and lighter. Jeeps, Toyota pickups, FJ Land Cruisers etc.

If you do go, June is a good time of year. Less dust, extra mosquitos, but snow and wet conditions are very possible. Keep an eye on the weather and check back here as it gets close, every year Friends of the Rubicon has a suggested period to stay away from the Rubicon during the last of the snow melt and the really wet period after. That can be 2-4 weeks and is anywhere from March to June. Year dependant.

Scott

#6 ·
what size tires, lift, gears, and is it going to steel have an ifs in it. if it does have an ifs you maynot want to go as the trail may rip it up if you dont no the trail.

#7 ·
Blazer707 said:
thanks for all the help i appreciate it, lol its not an older style blazer its a s-10 blazer a 95.

-Thomas
A group of guys from nor cal off road and CK5
we all went on a trip with our full sizes, made it all the way to buck with no real problems.
I would definitely find someone to go with, that was my first time, it made it allot more fun to go with someone who had been there before.

#8 ·
Like everybody is saying it is all weather dependant, and definately go with someone who has run the trail before. As for length of time, well ,if you are not in a hurry, try picking a place to base camp out of, then go wheel, much easier on your rig not having to carry all the gear.
Myself, I like to camp at Buck and wheel from there. You can also hike from Buck to Rockbound and Rubicon Reservior.
Like Scott said keep an eye on the PBB as the time draws near.

Rick B

#9 ·
cphatmike101 said:
what size tires, lift, gears, and is it going to steel have an ifs in it. if it does have an ifs you maynot want to go as the trail may rip it up if you dont no the trail.
im planning on getting like 35's and a 6 inch suspension lift. yea i plan to still have the ifs in it cuz i dont think ill have the money to do a str8 axle swap for a long time. ill just take it slow i guess when i go and try not to break the ifs.

-Thomas

#10 ·
Are you sure you're going to graduate?!? You may want to go check out the Gatekeeper on a weekend before it snows so you have a full understanding of what you are getting into. There you can see all the folks that think they want to run the Rubicon break their junk, because if it's going to break, that is usually where it happens. Then you can figure out your build plan and know what you are doing. Also, remember, respect the trail and other users!

#12 ·
cruzila said:
A blaser is a big heavy rig to be on the Rubicon. You may be getting in over your head there. I have seen a guy in a Blaser turn around after going 100 feet!!!

Most trail rigs are smaller and lighter. Jeeps, Toyota pickups, FJ Land Cruisers etc. Scott
On the other hand it's sometimes nice to have a full size rig nearby to help pull you up the hills!!:grinpimp: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey, Surpip. Was'up? Maybe we otta join up in the spring (june)to run it. You still in Sacto? Thought you were moving? Show'em what a full size can do.....:D
Paul Moon

#13 ·
Just don't have a heavy foot. The blazer with 35's is more than enough rig to get across the rubicon. Gate keeper is all about going in on the right then stayin to the left, Its really not a tough spot. if your going up in june 06 you can roll with my group. we usually start running it about early may still nov so we will be up thier. I think you be ok one good thing about a full size rig is that your bigger and stronger a lot more forgiving when it come to rolling or articulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.