Pirate 4x4 banner

Pics of GK 11-26-2005

6K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  prototype 
#1 ·
Went up for a day run yesterday. GK still has teeth, just ask the guy with the white Jeep (In front of the red Jeep) in the front of the line repairing his steering. It was a well built rig!!

Wish Flashlight Man and/or Lil Uzzi were with me. I would want to know what a couple of very experienced Engineers thought.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Rollie said:
After seeing pics and hereing first hand from WB and Sean it seems to me things arn't as bad as we all thought. :smokin:
I haven't seen it yet, but that is what I hear from folks that I know well. Definitely easier, but still a challenge... and very little impact to the water-shedding capability of the area, but helpful to minimize wheelspin, which is what was really digging out the obstacle.

The way the changes were made bears closer scrutiny even if the outcome is acceptable.

Randii

#18 ·
Well, it's done now so how about we let it go and concentrate on something that will make more of a difference? It takes a lot of wasted time to catch up on these threads everyday reading the same post over and over.

#19 · (Edited)
All I can say is I am glad this happened in a sick way. Well actually it convinced me that the "circle of spit" is not a place I wanna hang(this forum). The chips are down and all some of you can do is point fingers and convict others. I ask one question for all of you naysayers? How much effort did you put in as compared to the people you are convicting and blaming for YOUR LOSS? I have never heard so much whinney BS from a bunch of adults in my life. We must take our lumps along with our victories. Most of all we must never give up on the War. We will lose battles along the way, that is a fact of life.

WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GONNA REALIZE WE ARE ALL LUCKY THE TRAIL IS EVEN OPEN AT ALL AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!! WHEN ARE YOU ALL GONNA REALIZE THAT THE EFFORTS WE HAVE PUT FORTH HAVE DONE SOME GOOD????? THE TRAIL IS OPEN AND FREE!!!!! WHEN ARE YOU GONNA QUIT WHINNING OVER SOME MISSING ROCK ON A SPUR TRAIL????:shaking:

We all have a lot of work to do. This is just the beggining of how nasty it could get. So I think it is high time to go on with life and put this behind us. Once again we are all lucky that the trail is open at all with the things that have gone down over the past three years. How hard is it to open ones mind a little and realize that under the circumstances we are blessed, and that in the big picture this is a small loss. We have had many victories up there IMHO. We should all be surprised they didn't do worse, Damage the actual historically correct portion of the trail.

All this has done to me is refocus my resolve to beat these @%$#& at their own game. That is something we can all do. Use this situation as a motivation to keep fighting!

Before ya blast me take a second and think about my point.....then fire away!!!!:smokin:

PJ

EDIT: Point is when we only have a face made up of 6 to 10 people what can we expect? Not by any means am I trying to dominish what strides those 6 to 10 have made as IMO their dedication to this has been a success. Still to "WIN THE WAR" , we all need to find ways to get in and let the FS, EC and the rest of em know that we are thousands not just a few dozen. It is an investment in our future as well as those who come behind us.

#20 ·
Rocknutz said:
Before ya blast me take a second and think about my point.....then fire away!!!!:smokin:

PJ
Right wrong or otherwise, people have have something to say. This is an open forum where we can all come and post what we think, how we feel, ask why, etc. It's called communication!

As stated elsewhere this was a test. Not just a test of engineering, or ecological impact, but of the social response.

If you read the RTMP and the already accepted (I think it's called element?) element 6, a bunch of similar activity is going to be happening in the not so distant future. There's even a map of all of the sights identified as having maintenance issues.

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/Rubicon/oversightcommittee.htm

If people aren't allowed to say how they feel, the people making decisions won't know if they are making decisions based on the people they represent.

Additionally, based on this "test", it's clear that once things settle down, we'll have increased communications, there are clearly more people that are saying they would like to be involved, and if tough business decisions like this have to be made again they'll be more likely to have the support of a larger more informed 4x4 community... All of which we have learned by listening to people spit or snivel or whatever you want to call it.

I think this has been good for all of us in the long run... What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right.

#21 ·
I too hope that this shakes everyone enough to get them up and involved!!

And speaking ones mind is a great thing, venting is the key to figuring out where to go with this.

I still think we are derned lucky the trail is open at all. I am also happy that this was not on the Historic Route. And because it was not on the historic route I personally do not take it as such a blow (you were saying we are intitled to our opinions).

#22 ·
Really the blowing of the boulders is distressing, I'm concerned that it wasn't well thought out etc. But aside from those concerns I'm more alarmed at the interval from determination, to decision to action. If that's how all future decisions and actions go we stand no chance of having any input. That's more of a concern than the outcome of this one issue. To me, that's the real issue in this one.

#24 · (Edited)
FORYOURRIDE said:
we can all tow in our camper trailers maybe even a motorhome with a good spotter.

This is a few years back but this is a very short wheelbase jeep (stock narrow 30/44) and a trailer LOADED with 3 kegs and more - never even backed up. I never thought the GK was hard anyway, maybe a little entertaining but not difficult. Give it a year and all the blown up rocks will be kicked out of the way and we will be worse off. It was a poor attempt at maintenance. Oh well - atleast the decision was a concensus of the 4wd community :rolleyes: .

Attachments

#26 ·
Brandon said:
kinda proves that getting involved is a waste of time
This is a defeatist, quitter attitude, Brandon... I understand your frustration, but I disagree.

If we don't work the system to fight closures, they will only accelerate. If we actively engage in a positive fashion, we can slow the closures that some say are inevitable, or in some cases, prevent them entirely. Rubicon would have been gated and closed by the Lahontan Water District in late 2000, but we got together and stopped them in their tracks.

It won't be easy -- the things most worth fighting for rarely are.

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.