Pirate 4x4 banner

this was sort of discussed last nite....

946 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  welndmn 
#1 ·
since the ROC meetings are incredibly hard for most to get to, why dont we have meetings in different areas to discuss what went on at those meetings? myself and GETTINTHERETOY were talking about getting one togethere down here in the modesto area, why not do one fo the bay area, one in sac( iuse these two as an example because theye some what local) and wherever else someone would like to get one together.

one person could get the ROC minutes in an email, and we could use it as an agenda. get together for a couple of hours once a month, and share some beers and our concerns and ideas.

casey

#3 ·
steveh said:
Can the ROC Meetings be attended via Teleconferance??????

im not quite sure of that....i guess i should have asked doug or randii last nite. im gonna PM someone right now about about

#4 ·
CaseyP said:
since the ROC meetings are incredibly hard for most to get to, why dont we have meetings in different areas to discuss what went on at those meetings? myself and GETTINTHERETOY were talking about getting one togethere down here in the modesto area, why not do one fo the bay area, one in sac( iuse these two as an example because theye some what local) and wherever else someone would like to get one together.

one person could get the ROC minutes in an email, and we could use it as an agenda. get together for a couple of hours once a month, and share some beers and our concerns and ideas.

casey
I would go for that. If it took place, I would like to be added to the email list and could hold the meetings right here at my shop or anywhere really, for the more Northern guys.

#5 ·
Trailer Guy said:
I would go for that. If it took place, I would like to be added to the email list and could hold the meetings right here at my shop or anywhere really, for the more Northern guys.
gettintheretoy and myself could do one down here in modesto, cause im willing to be that no one from this area wants to make a drive to redding:flipoff2:

#6 ·
I think that this is an excellent idea.

Doug, Dennis, and I discussed something similar a bit after everyone left, having quarterly informal open houses attended by a rotation of FOTR leadership. Announce them ahead and rotate them through Sacto, Reno/Carson, Bay area, etc. If we keep them informal (I hate podiums!) I think it is do-able, and would go a long ways to keeping lines of communications open, more than just email lists and BBS posts without face-to-face communication.

I like even more what I believe Casey and Jeremy are discussing -- driving additionaly gatherings locally and inviting a few FOTR representatives.

This is inline with some previous discussions with Rusty and Del, about how we can reach out to local clubs that may not be email or web-savvy. I'm going to post this on the FOTR email list and see if there's good support for this... I'm personally game to help on this at one club meeting a month, but more folks are required.

Randii

#7 ·
steveh said:
Can the ROC Meetings be attended via Teleconferance??????
Not at this time, thoough it sure would save me some gas money. I will bring this up at the next ROC meeting as a suggestion, though I doubt it will be well-received. The agency folks that attend these meetings use this to their advantage -- let's face it, meetings run better and faster without the pesky public.

Definitely worth asking, tho!

Randii

#8 ·
Randii we did have a bit of that going on in the Bay Area but it died out after 2 meetings. Not really sure why though.

I think the difficulty is in that either the leadership of FOTR is driving all over California to attend these things or there is 1 rep from each area that is driving all over to attend the meetings to stay informed. Would it be more viable to hold a teleconference with these appointed "leaders" for different parts of the state who can take notes on ALL the happenings and then pass the info along.....

Just thinking out loud. :D

#9 ·
RCKRATZ said:
I think the difficulty is in that either the leadership of FOTR is driving all over California to attend these things or there is 1 rep from each area that is driving all over to attend the meetings to stay informed.
I'm not sure that's avoidable, and I'm not sure we can succeed without that level of communication. A teleconference between 'ambassadors' might work well, indeed.

There has to be a middle ground between us sending Del, Dennis, Doug etc. around from club to club in a large UPS box and where we are now. :p Clearly, the user group cares, but we gotta find a way to keep them more involved and more informed... that will work both ways, as it keeps the representatives better in touch.

Randii

#10 ·
RCKRATZ said:
I think the difficulty is in that either the leadership of FOTR is driving all over California to attend these things or there is 1 rep from each area that is driving all over to attend the meetings to stay informed.
I'm not sure that's avoidable, and I'm not sure we can succeed without that level of communication. A teleconference between 'ambassadors' might work well, indeed.

There has to be a middle ground between us sending Del, Dennis, Doug etc. around from club to club in a large UPS box and where we are now. :p Clearly, the user group cares, but we gotta find a way to keep them more involved and more informed... that will work both ways, as it keeps the representatives better in touch.

Randii

#11 · (Edited)
Leadership with Rubicon Trail Issues (FOTR Chapters)

what we have here......(smile)....is a failure to communicate.
No one has time to keep these chapter ideas or leadership positions going. That is the only conclusion I can make. It's hugely demanding on all of us who already have a ton of things to do in life.
WE HAVE TWO CHAPTERS now.
We have the Bay Area Chapter (Region) with Josh Hartman as the Region director.
We have the Reno/Carson Chapter (Region) with Mark Beguelin as the Region director and Doug Barr as his assistant.
We have me basically doing the overall stuff, focused mostly in the Sac area.

Meetings have been held (like Keith mentioned on this forum) in both locales. Interest and time dwindled. The idea is still there but on hold.

So once again, I revert back to the basic FOTR email network and list, as well as my Rubicon Trail Home Page web site for the scoop as best as we can get it out there. Read about it and see the links here: http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/regions.htm

Not sure what else to do guys....
Del

#12 ·
Jeepndel said:
what we have here......(smile)....is a failure to communicate.
No one has time to keep these chapter ideas or leadership positions going. That is the only conclusion I can make. It's hugely demanding on all of us who already have a ton of things to do in life.
WE HAVE TWO CHAPTERS now.
We have the Bay Area Chapter (Region) with Josh Covington as the Region director.
We have the Reno/Carson Chapter (Region) with Mark Beguelin as the Region director.
We have me basically doing the overall stuff, focused mostly in the Sac area.

Meetings have been held (like Keith mentioned on this forum) in both locales. Interest and time dwindled. The idea is still there but on hold.

So once again, I revert back to the basic FOTR email network and list, as well as my Rubicon Trail Home Page web site for the scoop as best as we can get it out there.

Not sure what else to do guys....
Del
Maybe I missed something, but if the minutes are emailed to someone like myself, and I hold a meeting, why can't I email the minutes/ideas back to someone like yourself.

#13 ·
CaseyP said:
gettintheretoy and myself could do one down here in modesto, cause im willing to be that no one from this area wants to make a drive to redding:flipoff2:
Same goes, we're not driving to Modesto, but I'll have meetings in Redding for the guys up here and in Yreka. And I'd like to hold them on Sat. so everyone can make them.

#14 ·
Trailer Guy said:
Same goes, we're not driving to Modesto, but I'll have meetings in Redding for the guys up here and in Yreka. And I'd like to hold them on Sat. so everyone can make them.

So we set up area meetings and we communicate with each group as to each others ideas via board postings. Bay area, Sacramento, Central Valley, Northern Calif, Socal. We need to pull together and communicate to get our voices heard and people need to step up to the plate and take local leadership. I am sure there are few local clubs in my area that use the rubicon that are not on Pirate or FOTR list that would show up with their support and ideas if there was a something a little more local. Just more ideas.

#15 ·
GETTINTHERETOY said:
So we set up area meetings and we communicate with each group as to each others ideas via board postings. Bay area, Sacramento, Central Valley, Northern Calif, Socal. We need to pull together and communicate to get our voices heard and people need to step up to the plate and take local leadership. I am sure there are few local clubs in my area that use the rubicon that are not on Pirate or FOTR list that would show up with their support and ideas if there was a something a little more local. Just more ideas.
Yes, this is also the thought I'm having. Someone that is at the Main meeting could, email, fax, snail mail, whatever it takes, just get the info. to the smaller groups for their meetings. Then the more local, smaller meetings discuss what took place and feed their input, concerns, and questions back so they can be presented at the Main meetings. This is a way for a larger group of people to get involved without having to take off work, drive 3+ hours (for me at least), and have their forces heard. I think it would be a very effective tool. Most clubs meet at least once a month and could discuss these issues then. Isn't this the same way our government is supposed to run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.