Pirate 4x4 banner

READ THIS from the moderation team!

24K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  cruzila 
#1 · (Edited)
We're here to save the Rubicon.
This forum is an extension of the Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR).
Learn ALL you need to know about the Rubicon Trail on the Rubicon Trail Home Page:
Del Albrights Rubicon pages

We're here to talk about ways to keep the trail open, solve trail problems, and get involved in the management of our public lands.

Please WATCH your language on this Forum.
NO cussin' and such allowed here. Clean it up before you post it.
Talk however you want elsewhere on the forums here on Pirate4x4, but no bad-mouthing or cussin' here.

If we have to edit too many of your posts, you'll not be welcome here. I'm sure this won't apply to you; but we are laying the rules out so there's no confusion. Please keep that in mind when you get all heated up and want to throw a few cuss words around. Also, there will be no personal attacks tolerated here. Keep it to the facts!

You should sign up for the Friends of the Rubicon email list to really get involved and learn more about what's up with the Rubicon. Also be sure to visit Del's website and read up on sanitation, law enforcement, OHVs, and ATVs on the trail, etc.

Trail Recommendations
The Rubicon's reputation is well deserved. For mortal wheelers the Rubicon is VERY hard, even in a well equipped rig, without doing the Little or Old Sluices.(both optional)

The guardian (gatekeeper) obstacle is quite challenging indeed, and can result in major damage. While a bit harder then most of the trail, it is a good primer of things to come. Challenge is one thing, misery, exhaustion and destroyed equipment are another. (As of November 2005, the gatekeeper has been reduced in difficulty.)

The High Sierras are tough geologicaly, from glacial boulders, as well the high altitude mixes with amazingly hot temperatures to get that engine temp up. Bouncing (jumping) rigs over the Loon Lake slabs (bowl) have broken many parts even here.

Our recommendations for High Sierra trail equipment are:
1. No less then a 31" tire for short wheelbase, or 33" for long wheelbase
2. Rocker protection
3. Heavy duty skid plates
4. Heavy duty bumpers, or a willingness to kiss the stock ones g'bye
5. Secure tow points
6. Lead vehicle with a winch
7. CB radio and first aid kit
8. GPS optional but helpful
9. Trail map or Rubicon guide book
10. Low gears or 4.1 transfer case very nice to have
The Trail Leader ideally should have run the trail once before. (Trust me, on a hard trail like this things go smoother for a group)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to add something about stickies. I have had a fair share of complaints about too many stickies on this forum. Well, quite frankly, there are many, many things that are important.

I have decided to let some of the stickies go. So, I leave it to you to make sure they stay at the forefront of our collective minds. How?? post to the threads you want to see stay at the top.

Pretty simple huh?? I will set some things at the top, but for a shorter period of time.

Scott

#4 ·
We're here to talk about ways to keep the trail open, solve trail problems, and get involved in the management of our public lands.

Please WATCH your language on this Forum.
NO cussin' and such allowed here. Clean it up before you post it.
Talk however you want elsewhere on the forums here on Pirate4x4, but no bad-mouthing or cussin' here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.