Pirate 4x4 banner

Breeding Consensus: Committee Work

775 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  randii 
#1 ·
Creating consensus is rarely if ever possible en masse.

IMHO, the way this works -- if it works -- is to gather a small group of diverse folks, identify common goals, define the scope of a problem, and then work toward solution.

If you want to discuss for the sake of discussion, a BBS is a great place. If you want to discuss in hopes of achieving consensus, we need a smaller room.

Randii

#2 ·
We've discussed making a couple of these small discussion groups / subcommittees... my suggestion moving forward is that these groups work internally, offline, as much as possible. In doing so, they can limit the scope of discussion, and avoid repeating the same discussions in multiple places. When these groups get consensus with themselves, THEN they should publish their proposed solution -- whether it gains larger approval will succeed (or not) based on how representative their members were of the larger diversity of the audience they speak to.

I can assure you that anything that comes out of the group I'm facilitating will be published for discussion to FOTR leadership, to the FOTR mail list, and to the various BBS-es online, of which Pirate4x4 is certainly an important part.

Until then, folks, if you want these subcommittees to work, I encourage you to take the conversation there. We won't get where we wanna go across a room this large -- consensus starts smaller, and THEN builds.

Randii

#3 ·
Let me get right out in front of this, lest anyone claim that I am limiting discussing... I'm just saying to focus discussions in subcomittee FOR NOW, and will welcome full discussion in a few weeks.

The last thing I want is to cut anybody out of this discussion, but PLEASE, let's work the smaller group BEFORE we discuss everything all at one time in front of everybody.

Trying to elicit a common direction from such a large group is doomed to failure, otherwise.

Randii

#5 ·
Simple Man said:
We are but the grunts of the world, we need direction.
Oh God, Oh Leader, Oh Chosen One, Oh Randii:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding, Doug, Scott, you've got PM(S):laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#6 ·
What's the action item?
The folks in committee should discuss in committee.

Are you looking for people to volunteer to get together?
Already got a diverse load of peeps for the Little Sluice discussion.

What different group topics are there?
Right now, just Little Sluice. You wanna volunteer to fire up another one? My boss and wife will kill me if I do!

Should we e-mail you, sign up here, PM you?
If I didn't love your wife's baked goods so much, the quiet mutterings you can't quite hear would be MUCH more audible. :flipoff2:

We are but the grunts of the world, we need direction.
I can't tell you where to go on this forum, doug, lest I get moderated. :laughing:

What I am encouraging is that the folks who are hammering discussions but participate in groups (myself included) should chase their discussions towards the groups to get faster results.

Randii (herder of cats)

#7 ·
Trailer Guy said:
Oh God, Oh Leader, Oh Chosen One, Oh Randii :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Golly, imagine what a world of hurt we'd be in were I any of these things. :p

Though deity status might make working with the agencies simpler... :smokin:

Randii

#10 ·
cruzila said:
that's not the first time he's said that.............
So, is he really saying that we're a bunch of pussies!:laughing:

#11 ·
Cats are not herd animals. You can run circles around them, but they won't pack up. Sometimes it seems like 'wheelers act this way, as well, but I feel pretty hopeful about FOTR folks right now.

And to explain that a little further, if you care about maintaining motorized access to the Rubicon, *YOU* are a Friend of the Rubicon.

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.