Pirate 4x4 banner

Little sluice next summer?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Hyena 
#1 ·
I have finally finished building my 86, yeah it suxs it is december already... next year i am plannin many trips to the con but lately i have been hearing there has been so much blastin little sluice will be a lot easier... i could have made a run about a month ago but i decided not to because i knew i couldn't do it and i want to do it ALL my fist time.... will it still be even close to as hard as in years past? Thanks

taylor

#2 ·
86Yota4.70 said:
.... will it still be even close to as hard as in years past?
It all depends on how you define years past.
* Which years? The trail is harder today than it was in the 70s and 80s.
* With the recent changes at Gatekeeper, a tiny section of the trail is less difficult than it has been since ~2000.
* If the County chooses to change Little Sluice, another short section of the trail may be less difficult than it has been since 2003, when the last big rocks were pulled in. Perhaps 1993 when the first big rock was pulled in.

Regardless, the Rubicon Trail will continue to be the challenging trail through the Sierra Nevada mountains. The trail is more than 20 miles long, and its primary character comes from the length, the surroundings, and the history. Short sections of the trail may change, but the character remains! :cool2:

Randii

#4 ·
randii said:
Regardless, the Rubicon Trail will continue to be the challenging trail through the Sierra Nevada mountains. The trail is more than 20 miles long, and its primary character comes from the length, the surroundings, and the history. Short sections of the trail may change, but the character remains! :cool2:

Randii
Randy's right! I suspect the changes made to the trail will have little to no effect on your enjoyment of the trip. The trail will still be challenging and you will still have the Devil's Postpile, Old Sluice, Big Sluice and yes, even the Little Sluice to challenge you and your Toy ;) IMO, the beauty of the trail and surounding area is well worth the trip regardless of the level of difficulty.

#5 ·
thanks guys for all the reply's..... I prolly won't have a winch on my first run, will this be a big problem or should i get one before i go? the people i will be running with do have them.....

#6 ·
The sluice right now is pretty undriveable by 98% of rigs. If you have doors they will get mangled.

Honestly, if sluice is made to be navigable with a locked rigs on 35s without having to lay it on its side/drive it on its side, I won't be heartbroken.

I also could give a rats-a$$ if the spectacle that is the box no longer draws a crowd. My ego won't be bruised if there is no one to cheer on my ugly rig and weak driving skills.

#7 ·
86Yota4.70 said:
thanks guys for all the reply's..... I prolly won't have a winch on my first run, will this be a big problem or should i get one before i go? the people i will be running with do have them.....
You can do the trail without a winch. There's plenty of us up there willing to help if you get into trouble. Just make sure you have plenty of beer to share and you'll be fine;)

#9 · (Edited)
Have a great trip

Randii pretty much nailed it. And SeanP
The sluice right now is pretty undriveable by 98% of rigs
I have seen the 98% rigs busted all over the rest of the trail, usually on Cadillac Hill on the way out....... That really is driver mental error or warm Bud Lite most of the time.

#10 ·
Yeah seanp may be right..... but all of my friends told me that i couldn't build my yota enough to go through the box before a graduated... and i will feel jipped if it is a lot easier next year then in the past few years....

#11 ·
Taylor, it might be too late, but we are headed up to moonrocks the night of dec 18th and coming home the evening of the 19th. If you want to roll, meet us at the Yamaha shop at 4pm on sunday. We are always happy to have other people wheel with us.

Dane

#12 ·
damn... i wish i could but i'm in the middle of doin my timing chain... and with it pouring outside i'm at a stand still.... can't wait to move up to south lake next year and be closer to all the sick trails...

#15 · (Edited)
86Yota4.70 said:
Yeah i will for sure....
You should be able to make the box. Your drivers door won't be saved though. I have pretty much the exact same truck as you. If you know the line it is pretty basic. Don't drive in alone, go with at least 2 other trucks. As the box sits right now with no snow (but still wet) you could drive through it with bald 35's. I did a little while ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.