Pirate 4x4 banner

Never Been.....

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  glaZe76 
#1 · (Edited)
Well a newbe to the forums here but I just wanted to throw something out there. I have been going To The Tahoe Area for 26 years (Had A cabin in Incline Village), through out all those years Ive heard stories, tales, etc about the Rubicon From my Grandfather, and stories past down from his father. All these years I have yet to see what the Rubicon has to offer, besides the old books and stuff that have been given to me. Some day I would like to see it in person but from what I have been reading my rig Might be too big or not capable enough for the trail. I dont Need to do any of the "Hardcore" rock crawling, Authough I would Like to watch it. What I am asking is if my Truck is too large for the trail or would not be able to make it. (Im pretty sure it is too large, even though the wheel base is about the same as most of the "Extreme Jeeps" that go up there now).

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab Short bed, with About 4.5 - 5" of lift 33" Cooper Discoverer STT Muds and a set of 35" all-Terrain BFG's 360 V8, Has Tow Hooks, Rear Clevis, All the tow Ropes, snatches, Hi-lift jack, etc but No winch. 4.10 gears, limited slip rear Diff. (Still a work in progress with more mods to come) Pics dont do it justice, just the ones I had in my Computer.....

Sure I could hitch a ride with someone, but I would like to drive it. Ive been to Holister and a few other places and know how to wheel. The farthest I have been up the Trail was when I started from the entrance near Homewood, and followed the sign to Barker Pass. Beautiful scenery, and I want to see more. I dont mind about scratches since it already has them and dents are no HUGE worry...ha What do you all think....If I get Flamed so be it, Just wondering if I should wait for when I build a capable Jeep or will I be able to do the Moderate part of the trail.

Thought this would be the best place to ask...Thanks again!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd add a locker before attempting the trail and maybe more body protection. You need the ability to pop over large rocks and decent ground clearance to keep from getting hung up. Go slow, take your time, and easy on the right foot. And go with someone who knows the trail.

I've seen fullsizes on the trail, it is doable. But be prepared with spare parts and tools. Fullsizes have a tendency to twist driveshafts, break u-joints, and axle shafts due to the vehicle weight and V8 power.

#3 ·
I agree with Terry, but I'd add that while you want to drive your own rig, you don't have to drive it the first time. Consider catching a ride through so you know what to expect. The drive from Homewood to Barker Pass doesn't really represent what you'll find just a little further down the trail.

Get to know the conditions, then bring your fullsize. :D

Paul

#4 ·
Yeah I didnt go up very far since I had not been and I did not have another vehicle to back me up. I was just checking out the awesome lakes and views up there... I would most deffinetly hitch a ride with someone that knew what they were doing. This way I would know what to expect. The thing is that I dont know many people that go up the trail or have a vehicle that can.

Ill just stick to the trails like holister with the pickup and hitch rides with others up the Rubicon for a while, or Till I get the parts to build the Jeep I want. If you see my Truck in the staging area...Pick me up...HAHA

#5 ·
This club is in your area. I know some of them, they are a good bunch. If you are interested in getting involved and meeting people who wheel you should consider checking out a club if don't have buddies who wheel.
Diablo 4 Wheelers

#6 ·
glaZe76 said:
Ive been to Holister and a few other places and know how to wheel. The farthest I have been up the Trail was when I started from the entrance near Homewood, and followed the sign to Barker Pass. Beautiful scenery, and I want to see more. I dont mind about scratches since it already has them and dents are no HUGE worry...ha What do you all think....If I get Flamed so be it, Just wondering if I should wait for when I build a capable Jeep or will I be able to do the Moderate part of the trail.

Thought this would be the best place to ask...Thanks again!
No flaming on this part of Pirate.
Since you have been to Hollister, did you happen to see the squeeze rocks in the obstacle course? It looks like three posts of granite.
There are a few places on the Rubicon that are pretty similar.
Meaning your body will have to lean toward a big rock that could dent your front fender/door/bed all on one time.

I’m not saying you will get a big dent, but it is VERY likely with a truck that low and wide. Most dent their Jeep sized rigs on their first pass. Although not too badly. I give a third to a ride along.

#7 ·
I'm sure with the current state of gate keeper you would have no problems making it to the bottom of walker without any body damage. After that, all bets are off. As for coming in Tahoe side, it has been awhile since I've been on cadillac hill but I do seem to remember a very tight pinch rock near the middle, as for big sluice that can be a challenge in a much smaller rig. I would have to agree with everybody else,go on a ride along. Then decide, if you want to take your rig thru.

#8 ·
That is very nice truck, sir. My $0.02 is that you have received some very sound advice here. I think you have to ask yourself, "are you ready to accept body damage ? " Not dents and scratches, but sheet metal reworking. Even with Gatekeeper gone, I still think, especially since you dont habitually 4-wheel over 3-D terrain, you will suffer grevious damage. Yor rig will be headed down an irreversible road, one from which there is no return. Smile as go !!! :) So....... the advice to go with another group the first time is right on. And yeah, you will need a locker for sure. The fact that you ask first shows you're starting out thinking, and thats big points. :D Have a great trip !!

#9 ·
i think your rig will make it with acceptable body damage, but get some skid plates to protect the underside. I can think of a few places that you may want to drag the belly accross the rocks to avoid extensive damage to the bed.

#10 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your Advice. I will for sure try to hook up with someone and hitch a ride. Ive thought about it and I realized that it probably wouldnt be a smart Idea to take that truck up.

MellowYellow said:
No flaming on this part of Pirate.
Since you have been to Hollister, did you happen to see the squeeze rocks in the obstacle course? It looks like three posts of granite.
Yes, I have. Ive also Watched people navigate it and yeah, My truck would most likly be thrashed after that one. HAHAH.

Ive seen photos and videos of people navigating the Rubicon and I knew I couldnt do half of it. I just didnt know really how far I could even go. It just looks Like a Blast! makes me want to see more!~ Eventually I will build a Jeep that will be able to do it all, but first I want to take a trip up there, see what its like and what to expect. Thanks again for all of you honest opinions....Im sure you will see more of me as I learn more...Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.