Pirate 4x4 banner

Rubicon rock blasting?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cruzila 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what how you guy's feel about rock blasting on the rubicon. I have read many post about keeping the trail open and appreciate all the work FOTR and many other's do to keep the trail open, but I am wondering if blasting rock's is a good idea? I am talking about individual's blasting the trail to make it more of a challenge. In my eye's it doesn't sound like a good idea cause this might just piss the forestry service off. Has the FS had anything to say about rock blasting?

#2 ·
Rock blasting has occurred on Rubicon since the beginning... near Postpile, you can see black powder blasting from the days of horse-drawn wagons.

That said, times have changed, and with increased traffic on the trail, we can't have individuals just blasting away as they see fit -- there needs to be more consideration given to such powerful, irreversible means of trail change, whether it is to make the trail easier or harder.

I think it is just another tool in our toolbox, one that we should use sparingly, preferably after attempting other less intrusive tools. There are times when it will be necessary -- if a van-sized boulder falls and blocks the trail, but can't be winched out, localized blasting should be used to restore access along the trail. Certainly, though, it shouldn't be done without community AND county approval.

Randii

#4 ·
rockbuggy84 said:
I am talking about individual's blasting the trail to make it more of a challenge.
You are talking about vandalism, which is against the law. There are even specific CVC (california vehicle code) that say it is illegal to alter a road that way.

So, you are correct it is a bad idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.