Pirate 4x4 banner

NOP is coming eventually...Prepare your alternative now

885 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JoshC 
#1 ·
Eventually...probably soon... the County/ESP will release a new draft of the RTMP and a Notice of Preparation (NOP). The NOP will start a 30+ day process via SEQA...(An orderly legal process...) where individuals can submit written alternatives to the RTMP draft. Via SEQA, the county must review and respond to each alternative submitted and have their response documented. Its required by law.

I would encourage everyone to submit alternatives and to prepare them now so whatever small changes are made to the next RTMP draft you can quickly make your edits and submit them. It doesn't have to be formal language. You can say...I don't like this..."OXOXOX"...do this. I'd focus on sections 6, 8 and 9 of the plan...see link below.

This is the only real remaining opportunity to alter the RTMP prior to signage. It is also a rare occasion in which you will get responded to. Also, don't forget this plan will set the future of the Rubicon Trail for decades.

After the 30+ days, the Supervisors will take the Draft RTMP and review each alternative... accept/reject alternatives until they have a final plan. I believe reasonable, intelligent alternatives will get a fair review and several may be accepted.

Link to the plan (Pending new version soon)

When the NOP is posted we should know how we can formally respond with alternatives.

Marlon

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to suggest that not only should you look at 6, 8 and 9, but to read yourself to sleep every night on the rest of the sections as well. lol

I am looking forward to it............sigh

In all seriousness, I really mean it. Look over as much as you can.

#5 ·
Saw the news tonite talking about how a special interest group will be pushing the state to tighten up on water quality controls in our mountian watershed areas.. This will impact offroad activities also with seasonal closures like they did before.

#6 ·
NOTPRETTY said:
where individuals can submit written alternatives to the RTMP draft.
Out of curiosity, which might be more effective...

1) Collect ideas and submit them on behalf of our club and list every participating members name

2) Submit individual ideas on an individual basis.

3) Each member submits the same proposed alternative, but on an individual basis.

4) will it even matter so long as the alternatives are submitted?

#7 ·
Hmmm. I've been trying to answer that myself. I think to really know that answer we need to know how the process for reviewing alternatives will occur. Will ESP review all of them and summarize them for the Sups? Will each and every one be read completely by the Sups? Will this be done in a public or non-public forum? This could be a vary time consuming process and find it hard to believe the Sups will read all these. But, I just don't know.

My best thought is not to submit one...it could be rejected entirely even though it may have some good ideas in it. I would sumbit a few smaller alternatives. I'd think of this somewhat like a letter to a Politician...if you don't get your point across in the first paragraph, you might not get heard.

Having said that, I could see someone wanting to write something that has several changes that are interdependant and they need to be considered as a group. In that case, I'd write that as one alternative.

I wouldn't attach a club name to it...I'd do it individually. But that's your call entirely.

I can't stress enough the need to write any alternative with the following kept in mind:

• Funding/money...how can the county pay for this
  • Resource damage control...Does the plan address this problem
  • Liability...how can the county control its risk
  • Long term vision of the trail...What will it look like and how will it be maintained

I don't want people to get their hopes up too much...a stamp of "Rejected" may be your response.

Marlon

#8 ·
NOTPRETTY said:
My best thought is not to submit one...it could be rejected entirely even though it may have some good ideas in it. I would sumbit a few smaller alternatives. I'd think of this somewhat like a letter to a Politician...if you don't get your point across in the first paragraph, you might not get heard.
That makes a lot of sense.

NOTPRETTY said:
I can't stress enough the need to write any alternative with the following kept in mind:

• Funding/money...how can the county pay for this
  • Resource damage control...Does the plan address this problem
  • Liability...how can the county control its risk
  • Long term vision of the trail...What will it look like and how will it be maintained
Great baseline, and I agree, but it sucks that we have to be so clear and un complicated and they... well nevermind. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.