Pirate 4x4 banner

El Dorado County Rubicon Trail Meeting!!!

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  atvobsession 
#1 · (Edited)
Tonight at the El Dorado County Search and Rescue meeting Dana Holland, alerted me to a meeting by the EL DORADO COUNTY SHERIFFS reguarding the Rubicon Trail,

THIS TUESDAY APRIL 18TH 2006 AT 7PM AT THE EL DORADO COUNTY (PVILLE) FAIR GROUNDS - MARSHALL BUILDING

Not sure what the agenda is, I will be there...

-Dane

#2 ·
Dane, good to see you are still kicking around out there! :cool2:

The meeting you refer to is for public comment on scoping for the Notice of Preparation (NOP) of the Einvironmental Impact Report (EIR) being put together for the Rubicon Trail Master Plan (RTMP) by the El Dorado County (EDC) contractor, Environmental Stewardship Planning (ASP). *whew**

EDC SO isn't formally tied into holding the meeting, per se, but they will be impacted by the RTMP. I'll see you there, man!

Here's some links on the meeting...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459430
http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/Rubicon/DraftMarch2006/Notice.pdf
... I have not seen an agenda for it yet, but would it expect it to be the standard ESP-in-the-front format, with Steve Peterson introducing Bob Delp to present info on the EIR and scope.

Randii

#5 ·
SMART ASS said:
Tonight at the El Dorado County Search and Rescue meeting Dana Holland, alerted me to a meeting by the EL DORADO COUNTY SHERIFFS reguarding the Rubicon Trail,

THIS TUESDAY APRIL 18TH 2006 AT 7PM AT THE EL DORADO COUNTY (PVILLE) FAIR GROUNDS - MARSHALL BUILDING

Not sure what the agenda is, I will be there...

-Dane

FYI...this meeting is in the RTMP document.

Oral comments may be provided at an EIR scoping meeting that will be held on April 18, 2006 at 7:00 p.m. at the Marshall Building of the El Dorado County Fairgrounds at 100 Placerville Drive, Placerville, CA.

#6 ·
atvobsession said:
FYI...this meeting is in the RTMP document.

Oral comments may be provided at an EIR scoping meeting that will be held on April 18, 2006 at 7:00 p.m. at the Marshall Building of the El Dorado County Fairgrounds at 100 Placerville Drive, Placerville, CA.
I BELIEVE RANDII ALREADY SUMMED THAT ONE UP :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Interesting meeting... short. I counted about 35 people in the room, about 25 of whom were motorized users, and the balance of whom were mostly county, or county contractors.

A little over half of the motorized users got up and spoke -- all pretty well, though ESP was spinning this hard to be a comment-only session (they actually used a clock to limit time!) and avoided answering any questions outside of process questions.

I got up with the others and took my turn at the podium, and hit with broad strokes what my written comments will detail:
* very concerned that previous comments have not been captured or well-responded-to in the current RTMP draft
* dollars collected on the trail must be spent on the trail, and not diverted as so often our OHV trust funds have been
* the RTMP needs much more specificity built into it about what will move restriction tiers up (and also down)
* volunteer usage must be called out specifically in many places -- not necessarily any organization in name, but one of the primary tasks of paid county trail staff will be to work directly with volunteers and their leadership
* RTMP needs to address 4x4 use, as the trail feels impacts from ATVs, motorbikes, dune buggies, hikers, bikers, and etc. -- restrictions need implemented equally (if at all); likewise fees
* ESP needs to deliver the research that they undertook in the name of the RTMP, but never actually finished (FOTR has 100s of hours in traffic and water studies but ESP won't publish the results); similar concerns for the 'Project List' which ESP compiled but now won't share

The meeting went quickly, taking about an hour, and I hope that more folks have more comments in writing. More comments about process below, but I'll admit that this meeting felt like more of the same -- the appearance of being open to comment, implemented in the way least likely to engender it... with no accountability that comments made will actually be considered.

Randii

#8 ·
So I said that the meeting seemed set up to minimize comment... let me suggest how to proceed.

30-Day Comment (no response required)
The first 30-day comment period runs through April 24 (next Monday!). I suggest that you get your specific comments in place, in parallel with suggesting specific changes to the RTMP by then.... but keep two copies.

45-Day Comment (response required)
There will be a formal 45-day review window on the EIR, where ESP/EDC is legally obliged to respond to each comment received. Hand in a copy of your earlier comments then (recommend receipt-requested, and staple that to your reference copy).

The difference is that they are REQUIRED to respond to comments made in the 45-day window. If you trust that your comments will be evaluated and rolled in during the 30-day comment period, then what I suggest adds no value. It is your call.

ESP would prefer the 30-day comments to be just about the RTMP and the 45-day comments to be just about the EIR (which will include the RTMP and alternatives. I understand that this will work well for them, but I am more motivated by what works best for the trail, so I recommend making all available RTMP comments NOW, and then resubmitting them again on record during the EIR 45-day comment, with any extra comments on the EIR at that time.

Maybe I am wearing my tinfoil hat a little too tight these days, but this is a tactic striaght out of the Sierra Club playbook: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Grease me,

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.