Pirate 4x4 banner

Ham Radio Class Reminder

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 ·
This is an invaluable tool if you are an avid outdoorsman or woman, and even more so if you are planning on working Rubicon Trail Patrol

Starts this sunday the 23rd at 9am till Noon,

Sunday April 23, 9 to noon, Sheriff's Office Training Room
Sunday April 30, 9 to noon, Sheriff's Office Training Room
Sunday May 7, 9 to noon, Sheriff's Office Training Room
Sunday May 14, 9 to noon, Sheriff's Office Training Room
Sunday May 21, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. OES office classroom (Ham license exam day)

There will be a flyer coming out soon with information about the textbook and other things.

The Sheriff's Office Training Room is on Ray Lawyer Drive just up the hill from Armory Drive.

You need not attend all the classes to get a license, but you must take the exam.

-Dane

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
To get all of the info, you need to go to all of the classes. As SMARTASS pointed out, you do not have to attend any classes really, but you must pass the test in order to get your license. The class just makes it easier to stay on track.

At the risk of boring folks, here is a quick review of what ham radio is all about: it is a non-commercial radio service intended for personal hobby use only. That being said, there is handheld coverage throughout the rubicon (200 dollar radio = communication with the outside world). It can be used for chitchat, calling your spouse/friends at home to chat, calling for parts (as long as you don't make money), search and rescue, calling for medical help in an emergency, calling for law enforcement, etc.

It is without a doubt the most reliable form of communication in remote areas. A really valuable tool in your backcountry toolbox!

N6YBH

#7 ·
resqme said:
To get all of the info, you need to go to all of the classes. As SMARTASS pointed out, you do not have to attend any classes really, but you must pass the test in order to get your license. The class just makes it easier to stay on track.

At the risk of boring folks, here is a quick review of what ham radio is all about: it is a non-commercial radio service intended for personal hobby use only. That being said, there is handheld coverage throughout the rubicon (200 dollar radio = communication with the outside world). It can be used for chitchat, calling your spouse/friends at home to chat, calling for parts (as long as you don't make money), search and rescue, calling for medical help in an emergency, calling for law enforcement, etc.

It is without a doubt the most reliable form of communication in remote areas. A really valuable tool in your backcountry toolbox!

N6YBH
This is a can of worms, I'm sure, but since I can't search right now, do you have a recommendation for a sub $200, hand held 2 meter radio? Need to move it around to 3 different vehicles, as well as have it mobile for hunting/backpacking use......

Thanks, Andy

#8 · (Edited)
No can of worms to me...easy for me to come up with an opinion:smokin:

First, I would not limit myself to a two meter (VHF) hand held, I would buy a 2meter/440mHz dual band handheld...the reason?...because the low level repeater in the con that links back to the 805 is on UHF. Now you have both.

IMO, the best combination of durability and price out there is the Yaesu FT-60. Basic rugged handheld, easy programming, good speaker volume, monitors both bands at the same time, shares batteries with the venerable VX-150, the staple of the VHF rubicon handhelds, etc. Price around $200.

For a VHF only radio, the Yaesu VX-150 is your best bet. To my knowledge there are more than 25 of these things on the trail up there during Jamboree and they have proven very serviceable. Price around $120.

OK, other hams, let your opinons fly!!!

To some extent arguing radio brands is like arguing Ford vs. Chevy or Land Cruiser Vs. Jeep.

SMARTASS< sorry to hijack your thread, this stuff is in my blood...

#9 ·
Definitely go dual-band for the Sierra. Hit your local amateur radio vendor, and you'll often find local swap meets that can really cut the costs down. As with 'wheeling, HAM equipment sells used at a considerable discount, with plenty of miles still left on the chassis.

I'm a bigger fan of mobile units for a bit more power and programmability. That said, handheld will do you OK for the Rubicon and Fordyce (hell, my credit-card .3-watter gets out on Fordyce!)

If you do run a hand-held, using a vehicle-mount antenna will really help with range in and out.

Randii

#10 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. This is definately helpful for a total HAM newb. I'll keep an eye out for a Yaesu FT-60, sounds right up my alley, and i do want to get a vehicle mount antenna.

Have you guys ever dealt with "Chicken Lips" down here in Sac? I here it's a decent shop........

randii said:
Definitely go dual-band for the Sierra. Hit your local amateur radio vendor, and you'll often find local swap meets that can really cut the costs down. As with 'wheeling, HAM equipment sells used at a considerable discount, with plenty of miles still left on the chassis.

I'm a bigger fan of mobile units for a bit more power and programmability. That said, handheld will do you OK for the Rubicon and Fordyce (hell, my credit-card .3-watter gets out on Fordyce!)

If you do run a hand-held, using a vehicle-mount antenna will really help with range in and out.

Randii

#11 ·
Had problems with them years ago and haven't gone back. I like Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland. Prices compete with the top few and they generally get stuff out within a day.

I bought six VX-150's via my cellphone on Monday afternoon when I left big Jamboree last year and had them on my doorstep on Wednesday morning to program and put in service for little Jamboree on Thursday.

#12 ·
There are quite a few advantages to having a mobile over an HT for offroad use. Ideally both, but the range and dedicated power source of a mobile are incomparable. In addition a full 2m mobile rig including antennat can be had for the price of a decent tri-band HT.

I'm a Yaesu fan so in one of the Rovers I run:
FT2800M
VX-5R
VX-150

A lot of the Rover crowd are now into Amateur Radio and we will be using it on a Rubicon/Dusy trip in June.

-KI6CTP

#16 · (Edited)
With a mobile, the 146.805 will cover most of the trail. It is linked to 146.605, same PL, on the tahoe side, and that will improve coverage as you get up past Miller, and may work better in certain areas of the con than the 805. I will call Frank today and ask him about posting the UHF link frequencies. This is a solar powered repater that is placed in the con during the season in a "secret" location and has switchable links to the 805.

#19 ·
Nope, still have your email address along with a bunch of others, just haven't thought about talking to Frank when it was convenient. Sorry about that, I know the season's upon us pretty quick, I'll make it a priority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.