Pirate 4x4 banner

Memorial Day Weekend

4K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  roc krawler 
#1 ·
Whos all going up? Im finishing my truck just in time! Hope to see some of you up there.

#5 · (Edited)
memorial...

Not a chance for me anymore. Trail is too crazy that weekend. Bunch of rookies and idots! Guess I'm getting old! :shaking:There is still going to be LOTS of snow!! :eek: Good luck finding any place that is decent to camp. Better get there Thursday or early Friday!!

#8 ·
Guys be sure you stay on the trail!! Also, I think FOTR is going to recommend as we always do when it is wet up there, to find a different trail to go to. The desert is always dry and there are many places to go in California that are not under snowmelt conditions. Bur on the flipside, if it gets real warm and all that snow melts, it should be fine.

Thanks, Scott

#9 ·
IMUZ ME said:
Not a chance for me anymore. Trail is too crazy that weekend. Bunch of rookies and idots! Guess I'm getting old! :shaking:There is still going to be LOTS of snow!! :eek: Good luck finding any place that is decent to camp. Better get there Thursday or early Friday!!
Yer not getting old , yer just tired of yahoo's like I am:shaking:

#10 ·
Scott , could you post wether the Loon entrance is used on memorial day if conditions are still snowy ? Also , in an attempt to avoid that area I have been trying to get clear on where to go instead. I know go past loon to airport flats , park trailer there , and take short cut to wentworth entrance. Is that still plausable given parking restrictions and snow level ?

#11 ·
Loon is available on May 1st. Most years, it is released to SMUD to plow by April 1st. Last year they broke a rotary and held off 3 more weeks untim close to May 1. I have no idea if it is plowed now. I can check.

#12 ·
I would really like to go . . . and I have been looking forward to it all winter . . . but with how wet it is going to be, the erosion is going to be at an extreme, even from those 'treading lightly' so if you love the Rubicon trail, like I do, you should put off your trips until the ground is reasonably dry.

For those that think it will be dry enough by Memorial day, you are fooling yourselves . . . and not serious about helping the Rubicon.

#15 ·
Hyena said:
We ussually go to the Con for memorial but it may be different this year. We may hit up fordice instead. Last year the Con was snowy and cold on this weekend. there was actually not many trucks up there to my suprise.

We were up there last year also. We ended up camping at Loon for the weekend and only went in as far as LS on Saturday. But Saturday afternoon the trail was pretty clear of snow to that point. With all the snow still on the ground this year I would expect it to be the same or worse. I guess we will all have to wait and see how hot it will get in the next month and and how much snow melts. We are planning on going up there Mday weekend but if the trail is still to wet we will camp at loon again.

#17 ·
Hyena said:
We ussually go to the Con for memorial but it may be different this year. We may hit up fordice instead. Last year the Con was snowy and cold on this weekend. there was actually not many trucks up there to my suprise.
Fordyce is going to face the same issues as the con in the future, don't think that just because it isnt under a microscope now doesnt mean it won't be. Erosion problems in early spring are the same no matter where you go. :)

I used to go to the Con every year on Memorial, but now you won't see our group anywhere near a Sierra trail until June. Whats the big deal about waiting 1 month when it could potentially help us maintain our access......

#18 ·
RCKRATZ said:
Whats the big deal about waiting 1 month when it could potentially help us maintain our access......

Exactly.... hit up the hammers or Moonrocks on Memorial day:bounce:.. Come Late June, or July the both trails will be great....... but for right now, too many rigs, or just one non-responsible wheeler could cripple our cause:(

#20 ·
YO38 said:
I'll be up there Fri. as early as possible probly mid afternoon, not sure where I'm going in at All that snow sounds like fun :D
Well I've changed my plans, the Con sounds like fun but with all the folks watching it right now I think Moonrocks sounds like the place to go for Memorial day wknd.:smokin: If you want to help keep the trail open, every one planning on going to the con shold rethink untill it dries out.

#24 ·
We camped at Airport Flats this weekend and the snow melted in places around a foot or more just from Friday until sunday. We saw in place on the way to Airport Flats so much run-off the water was flowing across the road and one place about a foot deep. There is still maybe a couple in that area but like I said it's melting very fast. I'll try to remember my camera and post a few pics tomorrow.

#26 ·
They stop plowing about a mile past the turn to loon but it's melting fast in that area is down to pavement in most places. You can get to Airport Flats in 2wd with no problem. We went a little past airport flats( a couple miles but the snow was crappy so we just came back and camped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.