Pirate 4x4 banner

Forest Service Is Watching

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  elarsen 
#1 ·
I know most of you know...but just to drive this point home. I was reading an Arizona ATV site, and this thread caught my eye.

The more people realize....Moronic behavior will doom our sport/activity...the better.

We were up near Potato Lake this weekend for Restless's GPS poker run.In the afternoon after the run we all were sitting around camp when a Coconino Ranger pulled in. He got out and walked up to us and asked " is this the RA group". We weren't sure how to answer since we thought he was going to bust us for no permit. We did say yes and he said he wanted to thank us for our efforts as a group (RA) to ride responsibly and follow the rules of the forest service. He went on to admit that the forest service was a little deficient in their signing of the roads. I got the impression that it was from lack of funding, however, in the next 2 years the forest service (all over the country) was going to start shutting down the forest due to ohv abuse. He said it was mandated from Washington, and they have no choice. He said this was the result of the 5% of people who are idiots (my word) not the 95% who ride responsibly.
He went on to mention that the RA forum and others were being monitored. That's how he knew we were up there riding this weekend.
Folks, this is a wake up call. we are losing our rights to ride as a direct result of a small % of morons. He said some of those morons were RA members and that law enforcement was monitoring them.
He also talked about enforcing the street legal requirement. They are actively enforcing that in the Coconino. He said he wasn't concerned about mirror or horns, but he was looking for the MC plate. So, if you want to ride up in the coconino, be legal, and stay on the posted trails.
This ranger (i didn't catch his name) was very polite and generally positive about RA members, but the message was very clear. We are
going to be losing our riding areas due to the morons out there.
If he reads this post, I would encourage him to contribute actively to this forum to help us do better. I am sure others on this forum would like to hear more directly from the forest service. The forest should not have to be shut down. Together, in partnership with the forest service maybe we can stop this trend of being shut out of the forest.
Any of the riders up there this weekend that listened to the ranger please chime in and correct me if I misrepresented what he had to say.
Just remember, the OHV community is being watched closely. More closely than I realised.

See less See more
#2 ·
atvobsession said:
I
He said it was mandated from Washington, and they have no choice. He said this was the result of the 5% of people who are idiots (my word) not the 95% who ride responsibly.

He went on to mention that the RA forum and others were being monitored.
I don't think there is any arguement to the fact that there are idots out there that screw things up for the majority. Thats a qiven and its wrong.
I would be more concerned about the fact (according to your post), that the forrest service says it listens to Washington and itself more than the 95% of the public that owns the land in question in the first place. It is public land, is'nt it... or has that changed somewhere along the line???

WoRM :jeep:

#3 ·
I agree. In the greater scheme of things....People are a lot more responsible, than they used to be. I can clearly remember camping with my parents in the 60's and seeing pull-tops from soda cans and cigarette butts EVERYWHERE....you had to wear shoes, just to keep from slicing your foot open.

#4 ·
atvobsession said:
I agree. In the greater scheme of things....People are a lot more responsible, than they used to be. I can clearly remember camping with my parents in the 60's and seeing pull-tops from soda cans and cigarette butts EVERYWHERE....you had to wear shoes, just to keep from slicing your foot open.
Yes, I remember that too...and that was at state and national parks with the little paved roads, picnic tables, actual restrooms (often with showers!) and numbered campsites! It is much better than it was, but there are too many idiots...I always come home with more trash than I generate per trip. And thanks for the heads up.

#5 ·
The biggest thing happening to our sport right now is the USFS (and BLM) Route Inventory and Designation process as ordered by congress. It's a long story, but here's the bottom line bullet points:

1. If it ain't on a map and DESIGNATED for OHV travel, it gets closed. Even being on a map ain't enough. It must be designated.

2. If your trail is not mentioned or shown on their maps, it's gone. It's just a matter of short time. YOU CANNOT hide any more -- I gave up my special trails to get more people to fight for them. Now I am fighting.....but at least I have help.

If it ain't on the map and designated, it GOES AWAY.
Visit the Blueribbon coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org) or United FWDA web site (http://www.ufwda.org) for more on Route Designation.
Del

#6 · (Edited)
Jeepndel said:
The biggest thing happening to our sport right now is the USFS (and BLM) Route Inventory and Designation process as ordered by congress. It's a long story, but here's the bottom line bullet points:

1. If it ain't on a map and DESIGNATED for OHV travel, it gets closed. Even being on a map ain't enough. It must be designated.

2. If your trail is not mentioned or shown on their maps, it's gone. It's just a matter of short time. YOU CANNOT hide any more -- I gave up my special trails to get more people to fight for them. Now I am fighting.....but at least I have help.

If it ain't on the map and designated, it GOES AWAY.
Visit the Blueribbon coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org) or United FWDA web site (http://www.ufwda.org) for more on Route
Designation.
Del
I am going through this process now with a trail in the Mendocino National Forest that accesses the South Fork of the Eel river just above Lake Pilsbury. It is part of the old Cabbage Patch Trail. I have went to the meetings & have volunteered my time & equipment. Now I am waiting for the USFS to give me a call when they go & assess the trail.

The funny thing is that they had slated it to be closed because the trail is only 3/4 mile long. They could not figure out why I was so vocal about keeping it open until I explained to them that I have been going there since I was 6, that the place is beautiful & fishing is good. Access to the river is just as important to me as the trail itself.

Up until the route designation it was our "secret spot":D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.